1 Gallon Vacuum Insulated Jug Nice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groovy2

Reaction score
picked up a 1 gallon vacuum insulated jug w Large screw on top-
Nice - $30 @ wally 

Ice - 4 days still had some cubes rattling around -

has pour spout also -

Besides keeping Ice/ water - large opening makes good for storing
things like photo film -chocolate -  meds - etc -
things U want to keep constant temp -

should work good for thermos  cooking
jug

Yes I saw that a few months back. They also have a half gallon unit for $20. I almost pulled the trigger on the half gallon model for the sole purpose of thermos cooking. I have small hands and mine will fit all the way inside so I think cleaning would be easy for me.

What stopped me was that I dont normally cook things 64 or 128 oz at a time so I'd waste a lot of heat using it. I'd imagine it would be great for beef stew or chicken soup or a group of 2 or more people.

Wide mouths are awesome, for cleaning. :)

XERTYX: I concur with your instincts. My biggest thermos is 18 oz, and it has a wider mouth than normal, which I can easily fit my entire (small) hand into. :)
It's perfect for full meals, or for preparing enough rice/etc for two meals.

That huge one does sound kewl, and would be awesome for large groups.
Thanks for the ice life report, Groovy2! I like numbers. :)

what is photo film. LOL, just kidding but I bet some kids don't know. by kids I mean anyone under 30. LOLx2. highdesertranger

Yay! I'm not a kid! Wait.... durnit. Haha. I used to process film and clean the chemical tanks in a photo lab.

LOL - yeah, didn't occur to me that somebody might not know what that is. :)

One other tech point:
When I got my (small) hard sided cooler, I did some tests with my min-max thermometer, and found that by itself (i.e. without ice/etc) a cooler does not have as big a benefit as most folks (including me) tend to assume. I recorded all that in a (dead-tree) notebook, and will try to find it.
It's better than nothing, but it's best to measure & make sure, before trusting it for anything heat sensitive (i.e. chocolate, meds).

You should still pay close attention to where you're storing it (e.g. out of direct sunlight).

I did not measure the length of times at the min-max temp, and hope to some day buy one of the gadgets that log that, and do much more stress testing.
I like Numbers. :)

As a long-time thermos cooking fan, I still applaud your purchase, and hope you post pics and/or tales of your Experiments! :)
There have been some great threads here, and there's an excellent thread over at Gary's forum that includes some intriguing recipes by much-more-expert-than-I member "fantym1" (she's in both forums):
https://vandwellerforum.com/thread-56.html
Yesterday, I picked up some split peas to try her recipe for "Split Pea Soup" which feels like a good one to stress test your mega-thermos:
https://vandwellerforum.com/thread-56-post-44109.html#pid44109

If you're new to thermos cooking, I highly recommend starting with easy stuff, like precooked/minute rice.
Have fun! :)

I have the Yeti version of that and it works well. It's probably 5 years old by now.

The Yeti is the perfect size for inserting under the soda dispenser at a gas station and filling with ice. Usually no charge.

Or I fill it up halfway and then top up with Dr Pepper (paying for that of course)... Lasts a couple of days.

Oh, the Dr. Pepper reference made me remember hot Dr. Pepper over an orange slice. Gotta do that this winter again.

Back to your regularly scheduled reading. Sorry for the hijack.

Mine is the half-gallon size I believe...64 ounces probably...and the opening is smaller but it works well for me.

Groovy2 said:
picked up a 1 gallon vacuum insulated jug w Large screw on top-
Nice - $30 @ wally 

Ice - 4 days still had some cubes rattling around -

has pour spout also -

Besides keeping Ice/ water - large opening makes good for storing
things like photo film -chocolate -  meds - etc -
things U want to keep constant temp -

should work good for thermos  cooking
jug

can you share the brand name of the jug?  The Walmart website has a bunch of 1 gallon wide mouth jugs listed.

highdesertranger said:
what is photo film.  LOL,  just kidding but I bet some kids don't know.  by kids I mean anyone under 30.  LOLx2.  highdesertranger

The hipster types are embracing film the same way they're embracing vinyl records.

Hadn't realized it's an Ozark Trail product (i.e. one of Walmart's China-made "house" brands).
I've had remarkably good success with every one of the items I've bought of that brand, including stuff that's more than a decade old. :)

Even though I'm deeply fond of Aldi, I've found Aldi's own outdoor products house brand items to be not as good as Ozark Trail.

Academy used to cary Ozark Trail stuff too. I don't know if they still do as I haven't been in one in quite some time.

TX: I could well be using the wrong terminology.
... Dang it Tx, I'm a ComputerProgrammer not a... a... a... Moon Shuttle Conductor. ;)
(for the Geek Impaired: that's a reference to Classic Star Trek)

Hmmm, Wikipedia has it on their list of Walmart brands/private-labels under "others":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozark_Trail_(brand_name)

Kewl find that that they're available on Amazon! I'm about 50 miles from the nearest Walmart - thanks! :)

It's definitely not top end gear, but has stood the test of time.
I would not, under any circumstances, buy an off brand multitool (or any knife/tool), but their general camping gear is more than fine.
Offhand, I have their: fanny pack (~16+ years old), stainless steel camping mug/pot (~16? oz, 8 years old), and most recently their kettle (bought explicitly for my van).
All have had major use (particularly the fanny pack which is my most often used bird walking "pack"), and all are still in great condition.

Well, it could be a house brand....but since Amazon and Walmart are direct competitors, that leaves me wondering a bit.

There must be a separate division of Ozark Trail that sells wholesale to other retailers.

Tx, yes your Logic makes sense, and I too found it odd. :)
On the other hand, Walmart is about the most competent/biggest-lobed Ferengi company on the planet, so maybe they discard hubris ahead of profit.
Amazon is nowhere near as competent, and may not realize a competitor is using them.

( Ferengi == a fictional (Star Trek) species known for its greed )

Kaylee said:
Amazon is nowhere near as competent, and may not realize a competitor is using them.

Hey, Amazon has been caught selling illegal pesticides and pedophile sex toys....I have no doubt that if something, anything, CAN be sold online, Amazon will sell it.