Kodiak Solar Power Generator by Inergy - Your opinions, please.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
I saw another YouTube video on solar and would like people's thoughts on it.  The man isn't a van dweller, but a family homesteader (and a great guy).  Is this a viable option for van life?  Granted, you couldn't charge while you're driving but I can see some benefits to this set up.  And it's quiet, which I like.  No parking in the sun needed and they charge on cloudy days.  

Could I generate enough power from this?  (If not, maybe with extra batteries?)  I just like that you don't have to mount them on your roof and have more stealth.

Did you look for past threads?

Here is a "hub" on these portable powerpaks

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=23546

that should link to past discussions.

It is not an energy source like solar or a real genny, just storage, basically a battery in a box with BMS, charge regulation and an inverter, at a very high price.

Please do not propagate the scammy marketing term "generator", maybe if panels are included

If you can't at least partially recharge from driving that would be a deal breaker for me.

Yes you need access to mains to recharge if you don't use solar or a portable (real) generator.

All of these "solar power generators" have the same problems--they are massively overpriced and underpowered.

Everything is relative, they do well fit the needs of some.

And lots of people have plenty of money to burn, far sillier examples abound of what we call poor value for money.

As long as they know what they're getting, their rig their choice.

John61CT said:
1.  Did you look for past threads?
2.  Please do not propagate the scammy marketing term "generator", maybe if panels are included
John, I understand where you're coming from.  I really do.  And I tend to find your information and opinions to be valuable and useful and it's much appreciated.  But, if I may, I'd like you to see something from a new person's eyes:
1.  While I understand that the archives are valuable, and I've made it clear elsewhere that I do use them most of the time, please remember what it's like being new and learning.  Excitement often takes over.  It never fails on a forum with long term members that some always answer questions with "Did you search the archives?"  It just makes the new person feel like total crap, can dampen their excitement, and make them feel unwelcome unless they already know things.    
In this case, no, I did not look at the archived threads.  I saw the YouTube video and immediately wanted to know the viability of the product through the eyes of people here, including you.  It looked like the perfect way to keep solar panels off the roof and have more stealth, as well as power.  Again, I understand not wanting to fill the board with repeated threads unnecessarily.  I really do.  And some new people on forums seem to never search the archives, which can get frustrating.  But remember, as time passes, new information and experiences can change things.  New products emerge.  New members have joined to help see with new eyes that even long term members can learn from.  Without fresh discussions, all a forum is eventually going to be left with is a bunch of long term friends talking about their own experiences... a club.  And archived threads can be become outdated in their information and usefulness.  
I hope to continue to receive your personal feedback as I learn.  You have a common sense practicality that I especially appreciate!  But I hope you'll find a way to practice a bit more patience and understanding.
2.  How can I propagate anything when I don't know about it?  That's why I'm here.  To learn.  Sometimes it's not what we say, but how we say it.