Methuselah Remodel

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max+sophia

Reaction score
  #1a john.jpg

The 1987 Ford Econoline 259 Discoverer needs renovating.  Until a better name comes up, I'm referring to the van as Methuselah.  First project is to close off the huge bed area over the cockpit.  I think sliding doors with translucent panels to let light filter down.  Wonder if just 2 panels would be ok, or 3??  The windows will be fitted with translucent panels to help with heat loss.  Can't insulate or the light feature would be lost.
]Hope the photo of that area attaches ok.

Next project is to see if a shower can be installed where the toilet sits now, and the opening closed in the hall.  Entry to be from the back room instead. That's all for now. Max

Attachments

• #1 cabover windows.jpg
    #1 cabover windows.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 50
  • #1a john.jpg
    #1a john.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 41
Moderator please help.  Somehow I ended up with a duplicate as a reply.  Can you delete the extra post?

Also I neglected to state I don't want the toilet, and want the shower to drain into the black tank.  Just wondering what will be found when the "box" the toilet sits on is removed.  Max

Mod Note: Done!!

The box is most likely your black tank. If you remove it there will be nowhere for your shower water to run into.

Cammalu said:
The box is most likely your black tank. If you remove it there will be nowhere for your shower water to run into.

Thanks. That may not be all that bad. I'd just as soon have NO black tank. Can use the shower where it's ok to let the water go directly outside. I also have a stand-alone tank with wheels.

Next problem is finding out if the panel under the driver's bench can be moved so the shower can be entered thru the back room. I'd really like to have a wall where the toilet nook is entered now. It would give me a wall to put shallow storage on, or even a full-length mirror. :)

Sadly an unexpected expense just came up, so I won't be able to bring Methusaleh home just yet. So I'll just keep planning the renovation. Max

My reasons for wanting to set up a travel camper.

1. To have solar power to run the boiler and perhaps water pump when the house electricity goes out.
2. To take Sophia with me wherever I go. She does not travel well in the Escape, and upchucks. My thought is that she will get to think of the van as home if I have her with me as I renovate.
3. As an eloborate bug-out bag,,, a self-contained shelter if ( likely when) EMP or other catastrophe hits.
4. My house is too big, nothing but expenses. I just need to work up to a more reliable year before comsidering full-timing.
5. I will enjoy the challenge of changing the van into something that feels like home. Years ago we did thatwith an 8ft wide trailer. Put multi-paned storms inside, put wide boards on the floor and colored them with clothing die, put in wallpaper, etc.
6. Why not?
Max

you do realize that removing the tank will limit you on where you can go. the rules are only going to spread they will not get less. same with dumping grey water on the ground it is only going to become more restrictive. your portable tank will work in some areas but not all. just something to think about. highdesertranger

Yes, I realize "natural" living will decrease as more restrictive rules are made. Until I go full-time, there shouldn't be a problem as I will mostly be near facilities, visiting my children, etc. Otherwise, bringing my rig close to a dump station, or dumping the doodle bags from the hassock john I have.... which is easier?

The enclosure where the toilet and black tank are now, would be a VERY useable space. Just pushing the hassock under the bed seemsa better use of limited space. Max

shoji painting 70 H X 70 W ea 17.5w.jpeg
[attachment=20391
Next for Methusaleh is removing both accordion doors.  I've been surfing for Shoji doors, and found so many, mainly on WalMart site, some on Amazon.

Photos show two types, plain and painted.  I'm thinking the plain looks too much like prison bars, so I'll probably go with the painted one.  I have a great plan for closing off the over cab bed area... later.  Max

Attachments

• shoji 71''H X 52''W X 1''D.jpeg
    shoji 71''H X 52''W X 1''D.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 4
  • #3 TVtoward rear doors.jpg
    #3 TVtoward rear doors.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 10
  • shoji painting 70 H X 70 W ea 17.5w.jpeg
    shoji painting 70 H X 70 W ea 17.5w.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 6
#8 kit sink stove.jpg
wallpaper bird.jpg
Panel 24x48 Love Birds.jpeg
wallpaper damask yellow_.jpg
wallpaper gold foil.jpg

Today's thoughts on the remodel...
Another Shoji for the van .  This could be used as the entry to the storage area above the cockpit.  I'm rethinking the idea of keeping the windows for light.  So much window, even if shut off with a wall and door, seem dangerous for cold, as well as heat.  So maybe giveup the light, and fully insulate them.

The cabinets and walls are uuugly, so paint and/or wallpaper are needed.  Here's a wallpaper idea in keeping with the warm palette I'm looking for.  I could go crazy with a gold foil, but I love the exotic bird paper.  However that graphic plus the shoji cherry blossoms may be too much.  Of course I've heard it said "Too much is never enough"  :)  Overload on ideas... I'm taking a break. Max

Attachments

• Panel 24x48 Love Birds.jpeg
    Panel 24x48 Love Birds.jpeg
    25.5 KB · Views: 8
  • wallpaper gold foil.jpg
    wallpaper gold foil.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 7
  • wallpaper damask yellow_.jpg
    wallpaper damask yellow_.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 7
  • wallpaper bird.jpg
    wallpaper bird.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 7
  • #8 kit sink stove.jpg
    #8 kit sink stove.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 13
Cammalu said:

You seem to be informed about motor home details.  About the black tank.. if a shower there is not possible, is there a way to remove the toilet and put a drain there for my washing machine? With a check valve or whatever is needed for safety?  My machine empties by gravity, so it needs to have a drain below it.  Right now if I want to use it, I empty into a bucket and dump it into the sink.  This takes a while because I can only lift a small amount of water.  Max

#8 kit sink stove.jpg
window shades blackout_.jpg
curtains blackout thermal.jpg
Sorry folks for posting so much, but I'm on the deco jazz.  :)
I found a seemingly ideal insulated curtain to block off the lower cab area,  The beige shown would bounce light back.  I need to look for similar ones w/o grommets, as I plan to hang them from a track.

Have you seen the insanely cheap, cut-to-fit paper blackout shades at Amazon?  I attached a photo of the black ones, but they come in other colors.  I haven't researched if the lighter ones actually are 100% blackout.

I want to explore the idea of having interior storms made so I don't need to block the windows with insulation.  We did this on an old trailer and it worked out great. They were multi-paned, so the interior of the trailer looked like a cabin. I just haven't checked to see if there is a practical way to mount them, or if I would remove them in summer so the windows can open.  The only window photo I have is the one in the door behind the kitchen.
Max

Attachments

• curtains blackout thermal.jpg
    curtains blackout thermal.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 6
  • window shades blackout_.jpg
    window shades blackout_.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 95
  • #8 kit sink stove.jpg
    #8 kit sink stove.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 9
Hi, On to other problems with the remodel.

1.  Dog area.  Sophia uses a cat litter box, which is WAY better than piddle pads.  It took a while to get her used to it, but she's a trooper now.  So I'm removing the passenger swivel seat. Anybody want it?  In its place I could have a table with cushion for her, and her box underneath.  Smell is non-existent as I scoop as soon as she uses it.  If I was able to install a shower, that's where I'd put her box.  It doesn't look promising on a shower, unless it's outside.

2.  How much is under the rear benches that would deter me from removing them to use the space differently.  I bought a cot and memory foam mattress when I tried outfitting my Explorer for travel.  It just won't work, hence Methuselah.  So that cot frame goes side-to-side in the back, up as high as is comfortable, so there's extra storage underneath. I plan to slide the hassock porta-john under there.

I wish there was a site showing the schematics of my van.

3.  Can the TV that's there, be used as a monitor for my tiny-screen notebook?  I'll be using the TV for my KARAOKE setup.  Hmm I wonder if I could be paid at campgrounds or meets, to provide KARAOKE.  I have hundreds of CDGs and used to provide it at a Ramada Inn here.

Well, enough questions for now.  I hope I get some answers or suggestions. :cool: :p

You don’t have to take out the toilet to use the tank for your washing machine water. Just dump the water in the toilet. You could take out the toilet and make a shower there over the tank but you probably couldn’t stand up straight unless you are fairly short.

Cammalu said:
"You don’t have to take out the toilet to use the tank for your washing machine water. "
Problem is, the washer is gravity empty, so it would have to be raised the height of the box and the toilet.  I'll investigate the possibility of enough headroom to shower there.

I want to be able to mount pictures with magnets by painting the walls with magnetic paint.  I just need to find out if putting up wallpaper would still allow enough strength.

I saw a recliner with a great swivel tray/table attached in one of the videos for Leisure vans or other of the many videos I've watched.  So far I can't find one at Amazon or WalMart.  I only need it if I decide to remove the strange couch,and put a chest next to the recliner.

AC $68 auto water_.jpg
Cammalu said:
What about this?  Create a "wet bath" providing there is nothing unmovable in the way on the other side of the wall between the back room.  After removing wall build strong bade to match the height of the black water tank, create a custom shower base with drain to the side,, and somehow tie that drain and the existing toilet into the black tank. This shower would, of course, necessitate sitting for showers as there is not enough height to stand.  The raised extension to the shower area gives another storage area beneath.

Build a new wall where the opening is now, making it unnecessary to have any accordion door or other privacy measures where the present accordion door is now.  That would expand the visible living space, and give a new wall in the :hallway" to put shallow shelves, narrow etc.  This is a whole new usable space.

Does anyone have experience with the cooler on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Co...8&qid=1533567445&sr=8-19&keywords=air+cooling  Photo attached. $ 68.

Attachments

• AC $68 auto water_.jpg
    AC $68 auto water_.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 7
Flea Markets
I'd like to go to flea markets to sell some of the things I'm eliminating from my life, like too many dishes, nic nacs, daughter's former gift shop items, clothing etc.

Since there's no room for a table to sell from, in addition to items for sale, would it be legal to mount a flat slab on the driver's side, hinged to pull down, and supported by chains?

I already mentioned the plan to put up storms INSIDE the windows, to eliminate the need for reflective insulation, and depressing darkness.  The only online supplier I found was Pelland at http://rvwindow.com/RV_Products_List.aspx?CategoryID=277  I haven't checked, but have a feeling their products would be pricey.  So unless I find a more commonly available storm, I'll probably have the local glass company do  thermal-break windows to size.  They've been reasonable for other glass needs in the past.  I'd be glad to hear of other suppliers.

cot 30x75.jpg
Just a note about the bed I plan for the rear room.  I already purchased a cot from Amazon when I was tryi8ng to make a camper out of my Ford Escape.  Didn't work, the vehicle is just too short.  The cot is 30 x 75, and I bought a memory foam mattress also.  Cot is $79.99 shipped free at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074Q4G5SK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will remove any plywood that is purposed for turning the two side benches into a full bed.  (I'm trying to figure the weights on removed materials as well as added materials...trying to come up with a negative weight addition if possible.)  I will attach cleats to the side walls to support the frame, which can be shortened.  I'll mount it as high as is comfortable to give extra storage underneath. It's to be determined how far back or forward I mount the bed.  <This is assuming I find the sleeper couch unbearable, and remove it.

<p><p>Poor poor pitiful me, I broke a limb off of my young dwarf Bing cherry tree.  It set cherries for the first time this spring, but then a red squirrel or other scrambling little creature, ran up and down stealing the cherries. So, I put a net over the tree meant to keep birds from the cherries.

Well  the net began to choke the tree, so I went out just now to remove it.  It was hard to get it off as the branches had intertwined with the mesh.  Sadly, I leaned too hard on one of the three branches, and it broke off.  As I look at the joint, it seems that the branch crotch was not particularly healthy.  Still not a happy morning.

Attachments

• cot 30x75.jpg
    cot 30x75.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 5
18-electric-rv-fireplace.jpg
FIREPLACE at https://www.rvpartsnation.com/rv-appliances/rv-fireplaces/18-electric-fireplace-flat-glass/

Boy would that be nice.  It's a bit over 5 inches deep, and I'm wondering if I could get enough insulation on the fridge door, to mount the fireplace there.  It would lessen the feeling you're sitting in your living room, and are across from your kitchen.  I will definitely remove the uuggly aluminum back splash behind the stove.  Yet to decide if I will paint it or put up wallpaper as I showed in previous post.

Attachments

• 18-electric-rv-fireplace.jpg
    18-electric-rv-fireplace.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 7
  • #11 kit cabs, fridge.jpg
    #11 kit cabs, fridge.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 5
I know, the refrig/fireplace idea was crazy.  In order to view it, one would have to sit along the sofa wall (driver's side).  Also, the best viewing angle for the TV would be from the passenger seat, which swivels.

So I need to rethink removing the passenger's seat, which is wobbly, and closing off the cab with insulating/blackout drapes.  In order to utilize the passenger space, perhaps with a new recliner, would mean I'd have to make up insulation pads for the windshield and side door windows. Ugg.  Too much thinkin' so early in the morning, Time for another coffee.

Still searching for the camper video that had a recliner with a good-size swivel tray. I deleted my entire saved searches for motor homes when I decided on Methuselah.

I viewed a video on the AC ZeroBreeze last night.  Fantastic unit, light weight, and good looking.  When it goes into production, I'd consider buying it.  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1253665084/zero-breeze-the-worlds-coolest-portable-air-condit/

However, a through-the-wall AC would be cheaper, and sliding it out to use it would be less fuss than the Zero's need to attach an exhaust pipe and drain.  Bob Wells interviewed a van builder who had his AC on sliding brackets, where he cut through his van and put a door on the area.  Sorry, I don't have the URL for that interview.