Backup Camera Recommendations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisamac

Reaction score
Hi all! I've searched the forums for info on backup cameras but didn't find anything specific so I had a couple of questions....

While I'm working on building out my cargo van, I have been driving it around town to get used to driving in traffic, blind spots, parking, backing, etc. I know "practice, practice, practice" is important to get used to the size, turning radius, and using the mirrors (I have large tow mirrors with secondary angled mirrors built in which have been a lifesaver). With that being said, I am looking into installing a backup camera for added security and peace of mind. 

Question 1 - Do you have any camera (type or brand) that you recommend (or don't recommend)? A lot of the ones I've researched have a piece that attached to the top of the license plate with the camera in it; however, I have an E150 so my license plate is not centered on the vehicle. I'm thinking the ones that attach to the license plate would not work for me?? I've also seen one made built into the third brake light lens cover and some look like they would attach to the center of the bumper.

Question 2 - Any advice on installing it? I've read some tapped into their reverse lights wire, some tapped into their running lights so the camera could be turned on at any time, and others wired it to a source that worked all the time.

I had contemplated installing a system with dual cameras (front and back) wired in a way that would allow me to turn on the cameras at any given time if I felt the need to see around the van when parked. Again, this is just something I'm tossing around in my mind.

As always....thanks for all your help!  :rolleyes:

I use 5 backup cameras in my cube van, providing me with a 360 degree view around the vehicle. There are 2 rear cameras so that I can have a backup cam in use while driving, the other 4 being in my living quarters.

Since I urban dwell, stealth is more important to me and I don't have any windows to see in or out of, the cameras are my eyes to the outside world.

I "hid" 3 of the cameras in the light lenses, and I made a custom bracket for the 2 rear cams.

P1010519.JPG

P1010522.JPG

P1010494.JPG

Attachments

• P1010494.JPG
    P1010494.JPG
    888.5 KB · Views: 23
  • P1010522.JPG
    P1010522.JPG
    860.8 KB · Views: 20
  • P1010519.JPG
    P1010519.JPG
    837.2 KB · Views: 33
Be aware that some of the cheep backup cameras won't work on a full size van . Watch " into the mystery 13 " videos for more info .

My van came with both front and rear cameras that are viewed in the rear view mirror and work rather well. The one in the rear is mounted above the doors and is fed in through the brake light. I do not know the brand of this particular camera only that it has been a great asset in seeing what is around me. (Nissan NV 2500 HD)

ahh_me2 said:
I use 5 backup cameras in my cube van, providing me with a 360 degree view around the vehicle. There are 2 rear cameras so that I can have a backup cam in use while driving, the other 4 being in my living quarters.

Since I urban dwell, stealth is more important to me and I don't have any windows to see in or out of, the cameras are my eyes to the outside world.

I "hid" 3 of the cameras in the light lenses, and I made a custom bracket for the 2 rear cams.

Nice Job!

lisamac said:
While I'm working on building out my cargo van, I have been driving it around town to get used to driving in traffic, blind spots, parking, backing, etc. I know "practice, practice, practice" is important to get used to the size, turning radius, and using the mirrors (I have large tow mirrors with secondary angled mirrors built in which have been a lifesaver). With that being said, I am looking into installing a backup camera for added security and peace of mind. 

Im no help with the camera but wanted to comment on this. I have an F350 CC 8ft bed 156" wheelbase. it takes some practice backing up. I love the tow mirrors and the angled mirrors allow me to watch my wheel when turning ( my work parking lot is tight when one shift leaves as Im coming in). Ive backed up 26' box trucks so I have a bit experience backing up, but practice makes itneasier. I also have a reese triball with hook poking out the back (as if I wasnt long enough already) so Its hard for me to just fit into any ol parking spot. I dont have cameras but my truck has the beeping sensors. Good luck finding a backup camera.

Mine is from Rosco Vision Systems. The camera is mounted on the edge of the roof and aimed mostly downward so I can see how close I'm getting to things when I back up or parallel park. It has a night vision mode, too. I have no complaints with it.

I have this in the cabin area of my step van
Monitor https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZFFREWC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
cameras (4) https://www.amazon.com/Installation...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HTDZNAMSZ021Y5YBDTAT

On the dash I have an older version, still the 7" monitor that has 2 IR hooded cameras like these to cover my rear blind spots
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J0RS8UM?psc=1

So far my observations are
1. the IR hooded cameras work better in more varied lighting conditions
2. the paint quality on all the outside metal parts sucks....and rust starts soon.
3. I like the way the button cameras are less visible and are plastic (noncorrosive)
4.The Hooded cameras are a bit large and ugly, but much more adjustable and durable than the flimsy tin brackets for the button style.

Nice neat install Ahh_me2 !

lisamac,
  I've also done quite a bit of research with disappointing results.  I didn't want any new screens in my driving area and I've got a 2012 gmc savana 2500 so I need backup help sometimes../

I searched high and low for something that will work with wifi to a smartphone or tablet. (I already have both)  Most units you search for are either analog (lower quality image) or just too darn expensive.  I got frustrated and tried the home security option.  I found a Reolink Argus that hopefully will work.  For me I will have it on magnetic base and on rear of van for backup camera.  But it also can be moved to other locations.  It does run on I believe rechargeable lithium batteries and can save images to your phone, tablet, or sd card.  I'll report back when it comes in and I give it a try.  It's $99 from amazon.

gapper2

Great questions before buying! I've found in all of these forums that a lot of people have opinions :) Including myself. 

That is why I rely on Amazon reviews of the RV rearview cameras. Easier to trust hundreds of reviewers instead of just a few on a forum. 

Hope that helps!

thread posts are 3 yrs old -
many things have changed - better cams available

gapper2 said:
lisamac,
  I've also done quite a bit of research with disappointing results.  I didn't want any new screens in my driving area and I've got a 2012 gmc savana 2500 so I need backup help sometimes../

I searched high and low for something that will work with wifi to a smartphone or tablet. (I already have both)  Most units you search for are either analog (lower quality image) or just too darn expensive.  I got frustrated and tried the home security option.  I found a Reolink Argus that hopefully will work.  For me I will have it on magnetic base and on rear of van for backup camera.  But it also can be moved to other locations.  It does run on I believe rechargeable lithium batteries and can save images to your phone, tablet, or sd card.  I'll report back when it comes in and I give it a try.  It's $99 from amazon.

gapper2

Update and product review?

Mine has worked Great so far - 
Amazing picture - 

12 volt car power

Can also be powered by USB wall wart /phone charger ect 
Im using a good 120volt phone usb charger off Inverter 

Installing cam -

the Mirror View is not as Wide as the view camera SEE s -
camera see Taller than screen can show -

Using Touch screen -  Swipe  up/down  on the screen -
this will move View on screen up/down - Nice