Complete booster set up for under $200

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimindenver

Reaction score
Right now on Amazon you can order a refurbished Wilson sleek for $119

https://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Elect...6&sr=8-1&keywords=refurbished+wilson+sleek+4g

The WeBoost wide band directional antenna for $50.13

https://www.amazon.com/weBoost-700-...=1492357996&sr=8-1&keywords=wide+band+weboost

and the no adapter needed cable to connect them for $22.89

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SNRIFS6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's the set up I use to get cell signal in the boonies on all of my devices on all four carriers. I have never been without cell service on at least two carriers where ever I have been.

jimindenver said:
Right now on Amazon you can order a refurbished Wilson sleek for $119

https://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Elect...6&sr=8-1&keywords=refurbished+wilson+sleek+4g

The WeBoost wide band directional antenna for $50.13

https://www.amazon.com/weBoost-700-...=1492357996&sr=8-1&keywords=wide+band+weboost

and the no adapter needed cable to connect them for $22.89

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SNRIFS6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's the set up I use to get cell signal in the boonies on all of my devices on all four carriers. I have never been without cell service on at least two carriers where ever I have been.

Will this work with my Verizon unlimited 3g hotspot?

It works incredibly well with mine and the other 6 hotspots I own.

I think Max is the internet guru and just tells Jim what to post. highdesertranger

I just looked and the cable was $24. hmmmm

Make sure the booster for $99 is 4G not 3G.

jimindenver said:
I just looked and the cable was $24. hmmmm

Make sure the booster for $99 is 4G not 3G.

Damn Amazon ... I clicked the link you posted and the price was $26. Not a big deal.

Same part number but it's out of stock so ...

highdesertranger said:
I think Max is the internet guru and just tells Jim what to post.  highdesertranger

I had hoped to keep that under our hats. He has a big enough head now. :p

I bought the $99 Weboost 3G phone cradle amp along with a $19 ground plane antenna.  I wasn't expecting much but I went from no signal here on our mountain property to 3 out of 4 bars and quite good internet.   This is with the antenna on our aluminum roof, which probably does make a good ground plane.

I have also purchased the Wilson directional antenna and LMR400 low loss cable.  I now expect when I hook that up to get 4 full bars of 3G.

4G might have been possible.  I didn't think so since I had no signal at all here with the basic phone, but now am wondering.   Full 3G is probably good enough though with my Cricket Unlimited being speed limited anyway at 8mbs.

I was not a believer but I am now.

MM

I'll have to check better but I'd say the cable is a quarter inch thick.

IGBT

Nice results. I look forward to the difference a directional antenna makes for you. I can say that AT&T/ Cricket can be a pain because if there are multiple towers, they can bounce around on them. It can make aiming a directional antenna frustrating.

I have seen the 3G Sleeks on ebay for $64, they cover the same as the weBoost. I am putting it out there for those that are in areas that only get 3G or have devices like the 3G hotspots that have no need of 4G/LTE.

When I saw the refurbished 4G sleeks on amazon I picked up a few for friends. I set one up for the person I am traveling with and with just the car antenna she went from one bar of LTE Verizon to 4 bars and the ability to up load a video to you tube.

My next test will be to find the proper omni directional antenna and see how it fairs against the directional.

I use Google Fi, which in the States piggybacks off Sprint or T-Mobile, whichever is stronger on LTE.

Would the LTE version work well with their frequencies? I know T-Mobile's been rolling out new LTE bands freed up from killing old analog TV freqs, lots of devices designed for the Big Two can't use them.

hey Jim it's to late Scout already knows and he said he will fill Max in on all the details. back on subject doesn't WeBoost have a hot spot the does both 3g and 4g? highdesertranger

I've had the gear for a few days now and have had some time to play with it. So far I am not terribly impressed. I'm starting to wonder if my booster is no good.

1) The booster cradle gets pretty hot, especially if my phone is clipped in and running as a hotspot.

2) I'm not seeing much in the way of a boost and in fact I seem to lose a bar or two when my phone is in the cradle.

3) How does one find a tower? What apps do you suggest for helping with finding service. Finding a tower. Better display of reception? I would another phone/pad/device to measure the WiFi signal from my phone.

I have the units described in this post. I am using a Samsung S6. I live outside a major metropolitan area and get decent service now, phone and 4g. I'm just not seeing a boost. I would expect to go from half to full or close to it.

ZZZ

The booster does produce heat as does your phone, especially in hotspot mode and even more so if you are charging it at the same time. What helps is to put something under the phone to give it a little air pocket, maybe a pen under one side.

Using the boosters USB charging port adds another heat source so if I have to charge a device, I use a exterior charger.

Boosting in a area with good signals probably isn't going to be all that impressive. That said there are other ways besides bars to see what is happening to the signal strength. The easiest for me is to load a free app called network cell info lite. It will show you the dBa of your signal as well as has a map that shows you what cell tower you are connected to. That map shows you what direction to point the antenna, the dBa meter lets you fine tune it. The lower the dBa, the better the signal.

Knowing what direction to point the antenna is important because you can weaken your connection if you are off, cause the phone to disconnect or even connect to a antenna much farther off. Directional antennas are wonderful as long as they are pointed at the tower. Omni directional antennas are easier but produce weaker results.

Another thing about being in a metro area is there may be multiple towers and multiple bands on those towers for your device to be connected to. I have been frustrated trying to aim the antenna for my Cricket phone on AT&T because it uses LTE for data and 4G for talk and text. In Prescott they were not on the same tower so I had to either aim at one or the other depending on what service I was using or split the difference and accept what I got on both. In Cottonwood there were multiple towers and the connection was bouncing all over the place.

Another thing is bands. I have connected to a tower and watched my signal go up, then down and then up again. When you look at a tower and see multiple levels of antennas, each is for a different company. On each level you will see different shapes of antennas, each of those is for a different band. Your device can bounce around on those bands looking for one that isn't congested seeing a different signal strength from each.

A example of mispointing the antenna is like here on Gooseberry mesa where Verizon and AT&T light it up when I connect to a tower south west of me. My Sprint however shows one bar of service unless I drop it into the cradle, then it shows no service at all. I have to have the antenna pointed east and then the Sprint devices get a good signal and work just fine.

Another way to see where towers are is to go to cellreception.com. It will show you all the towers in your area and you can tell it to show you those towers that your company owns. That second part can be misleading because your company doesn't have to own the tower, in fact they likely rent space on more towers than they own.

I hope it helps. As with any tech you have to learn the ins and outs to get the most out of it.

John61CT said:
I use Google Fi, which in the States piggybacks off Sprint or T-Mobile, whichever is stronger on LTE.

Would the LTE version work well with their frequencies? I know T-Mobile's been rolling out new LTE bands freed up from killing old analog TV freqs, lots of devices designed for the Big Two can't use them.

The now weBoost site list all of the frequencies/bands that their boosters help with. Know that this isn't horseshoes so close doesn't cut it. 1710 is not 1700. Also just because they deploy it doesn't mean your device can use it. I had to exchange my original T-mobile device because it couldn't do band 12 which is big for them in the areas I go to including Colorado, Arizona and Michigan.
highdesertranger said:
hey Jim it's to late Scout already knows and he said he will fill Max in on all the details. back on subject doesn't WeBoost have a hot spot the does both 3g and 4g? highdesertranger

I don't think weBoost has hotspots but they do have a booster that covers both 3G and 4G. The 3G only dual band is quite cheap if that is all you need.

I am going to have to have a chat with Scout. Whatever he told Max gave him a attitude and he ate a sweatshirt. :p

Wow Jim! I'm impressed with your knowledge of this! Luckily I'm in a good signal area but someday when I'm not I'll definitely be looking up your info.

jimindenver said:
ZZZ

The booster does produce heat ...

I hope it helps. As with any tech you have to learn the ins and outs to get the most out of it.

Thank you very much!

I think I may need to return mine. The USB port on the side does not power on to charge anything. No current when tested with multimeter.

I also sort of though these things have a power switch. Mine has a little hole where I thought it should be but there is no switch.