Covid vaccines

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a lot have opened up today! On a whim I called the VA hospital in Grand Junction Colorado where my primary provider is and got an appointment for a vaccine shot. Seems they had open appointments for this Wednesday, Thursday or Friday for any veterans in their system over 65! So I scheduled one for Thursday, second shot appointment to be scheduled upon getting the first shot. My neighbor came by and told me Utah residents over 65 or ones with preexisting conditions could schedule appointments at the Walmart in Price Utah starting tomorrow Wednesday, again second shot to be scheduled when you receive the first shot, so my wife is getting one there. So tomorrow we drive 230 miles for her shot and Thursday we drive 452 miles for my shot to be repeated in order to get the second shots at a later date. We really want to get our shots before we have to deal with the public this spring! Page Arizona still had no appointments available this morning. Arizona is still the only state of the three where out of state residents can get vaccinated to my knowledge unless possibly referred by a primary physician in that state. Not a very good situation for a nomad. You would think since it is a funded national program it wouldn’t have state restrictions.

This is excellent info, thank you. We are heading there on Sunday from Buffalo. I'm 50 with cardiomyopathy and our dear leaders in Albany have completely screwed Western NY in favor of downstate. It's next to impossible to get vaccinated here unless you're rich or willing to travel 400 miles to downstate. So... just like how we ended up traveling to Vermont to get married when NY shuffled its feet on marriage equality in the late 2000's, we are going to end up going elsewhere for our vaccinations as well   :dodgy:

Please read the entire article in Cammalu's link. Gila county all adults vaccinations are strictly for residents.

Hate to see anyone drive a super long way to get turned away.

Yes in Arizona it seems county health care systems make their own rules although the governor stated state run distribution centers would schedule snow birds from out of state, best to check when you schedule appointments!

bullfrog said:
Yes in Arizona it seems county health care systems make their own rules although the governor stated state run distribution centers would schedule snow birds from out of state, best to check when you schedule appointments!

I was finally able to make my appointment in Cochise County (Sierra Vista). Residents only here.

Ravella and X said:
Please read the entire article in Cammalu's link. Gila county all adults vaccinations are strictly for residents.

Hate to see anyone drive a super long way to get turned away.

Honestly we'd probably still be able to get them sooner than we can here in NY. I'm really pissed off at this state.

The Walmart in Price Utah listed several requirements but all they wanted to see was the health insurance card which had no residence information. My wife filled out two forms one of which had her phone number so she could be contacted for her second shot appointment of Moderma, the other was a second copy of health insurance information and while she was doing that they gave her her shot. They gave her a card with a record of her shot and an online help number/site paper as well as a follow up paper. She was in and out in 10 minutes. No lines, and no waiting 15 minutes, the only other person there was our neighbor as his appointment was 30 minutes later. This was probably their first day of doing shots and this part of the country doesn’t believe there is a virus or that they need a vaccination. Most wore masks on their chin. Worked well for my wife as she was doubled masked and no one was in line at the pharmacy! I made it home just to have the rear end lock up in the driveway in our Sequoia. So I will be borrowing my neighbor’s old Tacoma to go get my shot and pickup my Suburban in Grand Junction tomorrow. Life is good!

I was able to go through Walgreens.com and book hubby a shot. It was just two days out. Jacque also was able to book a shot very quickly. I got mine thru the VA. Now the wait for shot #2

Cammalu said:
I was able to go through Walgreens.com and book hubby a shot. It was just two days out. Jacque also was able to book a shot very quickly. I got mine thru the VA. Now the wait for shot #2

the shots book very quickly. On the day I got my appointment, I went back later to the Walgreen's site and there were no appointments available. I'd suggest checking the Walgreen's site every morning. Note - Walgreen's does require you to set up a user account with them in order to get your shot.

Up here in Utah some of the small clinics are starting to schedule the J&J one shot vaccine. They don’t seem to be letting people know and are just waiting for people to search them out it seems. Sure wish this was more organized.

Yeah it would be nice, but I suspect will get better shortly, as more vaccine is produced. Each state/county is organizing this differently, and of course the commercial pharmacies each have their own organization.

I think many rural county health departments are still receiving pretty meager supplies, which makes them reluctant to do a lot of public announcements.

The VA told me to wait for a different version coming out. One that uses the actual virus outer coating (non infectious) like traditional vaccines vs the MRNA version available now which was quicker to develop. I'm super allergic to most vaccines and almost died when I was administered a smallpox booster many years ago. I can take flu shots but have a few hard days of illness following them.

My Dr and NP told me it was just too dicey for me to take the current version and to wait since I'm not in any groups that are particularly vulnerable. I have a minor in microbiology and understand the in's and out's of the immune response so I'm going to wait. The Doc pointed out that outside of the vulnerable groups, healthy folk have a .23 chance of fatal infection. I'm gonna bank on that 99.77 percent survival rate and keep my fingers crossed!

Cheers!

I was able to make an appointment for my first vaccine shot at Rite Aid for next Friday in Indio California yesterday. I surfed their site for a few days before I made the appt. Open appointments are added daily from what I've seen and they book quickly. 
I could have made one in Neeedles Ca. but I have plans to head towards Joshua Tree anyway. Apparently they aren't giving the vaccine in Arizona. If you search their database for Indio as your location a bunch of stores come up. Only one store in Needles. 

Here's the link
https://www.riteaid.com/pharmacy/co...hv7aexO6DFYPpCySOX3TsLWvFGto4RZxoCl6wQAvD_BwE

I qualified because I'm over 65. (66) I used my Florida address (when I signed up, not when I searched for a location). No point in being stupid about it because you have to ID when you go for your appt. I was afraid that would disqualify me but they sent appt confirmation this morning

55 and up in Phoenix and you can get an appt thru Walgreens.com. They update every couple of hours.

^
The Moderna vaccine shots are spaced 28 days apart and on top of that it takes another 2 weeks before they will provide immunity.

So we are vulnerable for up to 6 weeks after the first shot.

Iñigo Sanchez said:
My brother had his vaccine 4 days ago, and yesterday he was tested positive from Covid.

Oh no. Hopefully he will have a tiny bit of help from the shot. So he probably had it when he got the shot then. Sorry to hear that and I hope he is ok

Status
Not open for further replies.