ZeroBreeze Fail

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gideon33w

Reaction score
I know several people on the forum have been waiting for a chance to buy the ZeroBreeze.
For those of you who don't know, it's an AC/DC (and battery) powered 1,500 BTU air conditioner.
Popped up on Kickstarter and is now shipping to backers.
Sadly, now that people are getting them, the results are poor to dangerous.
Melted power supplies, broken units, poor output, leaking condenser water, etc.
Just don't want someone to try to buy without realizing how negative it has turned.
Check the Kickstarter comments section for details.
Oh, and don't bother contacting them because the emails all go nowhere :-/

Wow, I feel bad for those who sweltered all summer awaiting the Zero Breeze, by the time they get theirs we'll be in heating temperatures. Remember we'll hear more from people with Product problems than those who get working units as-promised. Give it a year for the kinks to be worked out. In the meantime a window shaker and a generator is the only anywhere cooling solution proven.

I thought it was too good to be true.  It looked too small to really cool even a small area. Here in california its beginning to cool down and my little 3 amp swampcooler got me through another summer. 

High speed fans pushing alot of air is what will cool you down.  The zerobreeze didn't look like it had a large enough intake to suck in large amount of air to really push the air out. I found out from my own swampcoolers the air intake has to be as large as the output and I don't see that in the zerobreeze. And at 150 watts the unit and power brick will get hot introducing heat into the area you are trying to cool. Thats one reason I got rid of my 12 volt fridge because every time the compressor turned on, I could feel the heat go up in my van.

Also there are some design flaws from the reports on its operation. The power brick seems to be too small (150 watts) for the zerobreeze (over 150+ watts) and has been over heating with many failures, and since many people haven't received the batteries, they are unable to run them. The area where condensation (water) collects is prone to leaking water and that is closed to where the power connects to the unit. I do believe they will eventually work out the kinks on the unit, it took me 4 or 5 different designs before I finally got a swampcooler that worked perfectly for me every time. They were in a rush to ship them (they were promised in march 2017) that I suspect they weren't really tested in the places that customers were going to use them. 

I still think lithium batteries and a generator to charge them are the only true way of getting AC in your van/camper. All the portable AC's I seen that can actually work use about 60 amps an hour, even a 500 ah lithium battery pack won't run it for more than a few hours, than you have to spend hours charging the battery at a high amp rate. But for some people who live in the right area, a swamp cooler will suffice with minimal solar or even lead acid battery.

Good example of why to never back a kickstarter. They got their money...now they dont care.

Latest posts