Our hunt begins....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpyjarhead

Reaction score
Well I'm burning up AutoTrader, Craigslist and other sources in a quest to find the right van for our build.

The number one requirement is a hightop.

As well we want an extra long van since there will be two of us and we could have one to two grandsons with us at times.

As for make we are open to suggestions. Our budget is up 15k maybe a little more. So if we find a nice regular van for about 10k we may have enough to put a new hightop on it.

As well as standard Ford, Chevy and GMC hightop vans.

We like the Dodge Ram Promaster for the tall square shape. It looks like it may have a few more inches of room than other models. That said they may be junk, can anyone speak to their reliability?

We like the Sprinter desil vans for milage and the supposed longevity of the desil motors. But I expect that maintnance and repairs would be costly and could be hard to easily find a mechanic to work on it.

A school bus isnt out of the question either.

I have been buying things like solar gear, a yamaha 2000 watt generator, battery powered dewalt tools wth vehicle chargers, batteries, water filters, and lots of other survival gear so we already have a lot of what we'll need to live in the van.

We will have a minimum of 600-900 watts of panels on the van and 400-600ah of batteries. 

We are excited to find a van and begin the build.

Semper Fi,

GJ

grumpyjarhead said:
Well I'm burning up AutoTrader, Craigslist and other sources in a quest to find the right van for our build.

The number one requirement is a hightop.  How high?  6' tall people standing without touching or what?

As well we want an extra long van since there will be two of us and we could have one to two grandsons with us at times. That limits your search to mostly the Sprinter style euro vans and a few of the (likely) high mileage 1 ton (typically the E350) shuttle vans...

As for make we are open to suggestions. Our budget is up 15k maybe a little more. So if we find a nice regular van for about 10k we may have enough to put a new hightop on it. Thats a much better idea, depending on what you want theres a million 1 ton extended cargo vans out there and if you allow $4k for a brand new 24" hi-top then you should be ok.

As well as standard Ford, Chevy and GMC hightop vans. Remember that conversion vans are "mid top" and many don't have headroom for even a person 5'6" tall.

We like the Dodge Ram Promaster for the tall square shape. It looks like it may have a few more inches of room than other models. That said they may be junk, can anyone speak to their reliability? Theres a couple forum members who have one however you will get tons more (scary) stories over on the Promaster forums.  Just Google them. Remember that satisfied owners rarely post...

We like the Sprinter desil vans for milage and the supposed longevity of the desil motors. But I expect that maintnance and repairs would be costly and could be hard to easily find a mechanic to work on it. Diesel vans bring with them a whole nother' set of issues, namely repair costs and high maintenance due to the number of quarts of oil they have...  If you are open to alternatives, there's a couple members in the Misc. vehicles subforum who have bought older (1980's) flight line ex Air Force vans with crew compartment bodies which have the venerable 6.5 GM diesel...

A school bus isnt out of the question either.  You are kinda' all over the place!  Again, Google the "Schoolie" forums and be prepared for a completely different experience in licensing, insuring and converting. Better be a decent mechanic as well.

I have been buying things like solar gear, a yamaha 2000 watt generator, battery powered dewalt tools wth vehicle chargers, batteries, water filters, and lots of other survival gear so we already have a lot of what we'll need to live in the van.

We will have a minimum of 600-900 watts of panels on the van and 400-600ah of batteries.  Then you will need either 2 massive home-type 36 volt panels, or maybe a step van!  You are not going to get the typical 100 watt panels in that number on most van roofs, especially since you need ventilation... Get the dimensions of panels and measure the amount of roof real estate needed. Ask "jimindenver" what he uses...

We are excited to find a van and begin the build. Read up a lot on the various other site forums and this site's subforums before buying!

Semper Fi,  Well at least with your USMC background you understand the need to plan and prepare...

GJ

grumpyjarhead said:
Will all that said what style of vehicle do you prefer and recomend?

That's your choice sir.  You mentioned "we" and 2 grandsons so you'd not likely be happy with even an extended van. Bed accommodations will be pretty tight.  Don't know their ages and sizes but often boys don't "confine" very well... If you can handle all the work of a shuttle van (the bigger airport shuttle kind with dual wheels and school type doors, not just an extended E350) then you'd have more room, a diesel (normally) and room for about 4-600 watts of solar on top, plus your powered vent.  Most of those airport shuttles are Fords. Here's an example:

http://www.nwbus.com/shuttle-buses-for-sale/2006-starcraft-9-passengers--2-wheelchairs---s07131

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Used 2006 Starcraft Starlite
Stock Number:
S07131

Price:
$19,999.00
Passengers:

Low Miles & New Paint Job![/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][img=95x23]http://www.nwbus.com/gfx/icon_details.png[/img][/font]

Do the Ford Transits come, in extended wb and/or high-top?

Another option is a big box truck, ideally cutaway van style
b9e3a4afc90412b802ffdce7bd0ad254.jpg

As some have said in other posts, it's the licensing and insuring that are the headaches with anything that was previously titled as "commercial". 
Some states are easier to convert to an rv, some nigh' to impossible. 

I'd seriously consider a small class C if I were him... Get an older one, tear out what you don't want and rebuild if needed, or just leave it alone. A class C is allready titled correctly, insurance companies don't bat an eyelash, they are commonly seen... 

All depends on his desire for "stealth" or whatever. But for room, and toilet/washing/bathing facilities for 2 boys, much better than a van.

Having had a family of 4 and owned a C, a travel trailer or two and an 8' camper, I'd take the C anytime.  My old 22' fit about anywhere and I even took it into national forests, carefully of course...

are the grandkids only going to be with you on camping style trips? if that's the case put them outside in a tent. no need for a huge vehicle if you only need all that room a few weeks a year. however you will need proper seats with seat belts for them. highdesertranger

Good point on the belts.  It's also not really legal to bolt down extra seats in a cargo or box van due to liability, they aren't certified crash tested. You have to have something purpose built for passengers. Maybe an extended passenger van with the high top added would be ok. Like HDR said, stick the boys outside unless they.d be scared or get into trouble. I'd probably be the one outside and grandma and the boys inside, just saying...  :D

haha I was thinking that myself. I would be the one on the outside. highdesertranger

Thanks for all of the suggestions. The boys are 1 and 6 and would only be with us a day or two at a time. The tent idea is probably the best solution. Ive seen tent/screen rooms that attach to an awning that would be a good solution. Like our kids as the boys grow older their desire to spend time with us will go away so its not something that we will deal with forever so its a temporary issue to deal with and not a reason, in our minds to buy an RV. We owned a 30' class C when our boys were young and it was a constant fight with roof leaks and system break downs. 

Now depending on how it goes we may buy a small towable sleeping camper to solve the sleeping issue while they are with us. Then it could be sold when no llonger needed.

We want something anlong the lines of the longest version of a hightop passanger or possibly a cargo Ford E350, Chevy or GMC 3500, Ford Transit, Dodge Promaster or possibly a Sprinter with one removable double seat bench left in place behind thr drivers seat fot the grandsons to ride in.

We realized that no matter what vehicle we select there will be problems to deal with and that nothing will be perfect. Hopefully we select one that isnt plagued with problems. Of course we may go through a a few before we find one that works for us.

Thankfully we have retirement and social security so funds wont be a huge issue and with what i do i can take short term jobs whenever extra money is needed.

Thanks again for all of your input.

Well based on your reply, look for the big extended 1 ton window van or a retired shuttle.
Pros for the big newer window van are likely fleet maintained and many are sold off in your price range at about 5 years, they have the seats and belts, and are comfy.. Cons - needs another several thou' for the top.
http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/Used-Passenger-Vans-For-Sale/search-results?

category=Passenger+Van|644245480&condition=U&year=2010:2014

[font=arial, sans-serif]http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2014-Chevrolet-Express-3500--121684423[font=arial, sans-serif]2014 CHEVROLET EXPRESS 3500 PASSENGER VAN[/font]
http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2014-Chevrolet-Express-3500--121684423[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=x-small][font=arial, sans-serif] [/font]http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2014-Chevrolet-Express-3500--121684423[font=arial, sans-serif][size=x-small]28http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2014-Chevrolet-Express-3500--121684423http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2014-Chevrolet-Express-3500--121684423/brochure[/font][/size][font=arial, sans-serif]CompareSave[/font][/font][/size]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=x-small][font=arial, sans-serif]$18,994
 Get Financing 

[size=small]2014 Chevrolet Express 3500, Extended Passenger Van, 3RD Row Seating, CARFAX 1 OWNER, Accident Free History, Clean Carfax, and Keyless Entry. What a wonderful deal! A great deal in Cerritos! Your quest for a gently used van is over. This wonderful-looking 2014 Chevrolet Express 3500 has on...
[/font][/size][/font][/size]

MORE DETAILS
[size=undefined][size=undefined][size=undefined]
[/size]
ConditionUsed
Mileage38842
Engine Size6.0L
Fuel TypeFlex Fuel
[size=x-small]Penske Chevrolet Buick GMC Website 
Cerritos, CA
(Map) 
7142-726 (558)
[/size][/size][/size]

Pros for the ex-shuttle are the hi top and bench seats with belts (some are buckets), cons are excessive miles usually.  The SuperShuttle (blue) airport vans go out of service with about 400,000 miles or more, often the trans has been replaced but not the 5.4 or 6.8 V10 engines, which speaks well for them. Trouble is the suspension and front end have all those 400K miles...  :huh:

Ive seen CL ads for those for under $5K

This world isn said:
Well based on your reply, look for the big extended 1 ton window van or a retired shuttle.
Pros for the big newer window van are likely fleet maintained and many are sold off in your price range at about 5 years, they have the seats and belts, and are comfy.. Cons - needs another several thou' for the top.
http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/Used-Passenger-Vans-For-Sale/search-results?

category=Passenger+Van|644245480&condition=U&year=2010:2014

[font=arial, sans-serif]http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2014-Chevrolet-Express-3500--121684423[font=arial, sans-serif]2014 CHEVROLET EXPRESS 3500 PASSENGER VAN[/font]
http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2014-Chevrolet-Express-3500--121684423[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=x-small][font=arial, sans-serif] [/font]http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2014-Chevrolet-Express-3500--121684423[font=arial, sans-serif][size=x-small]28http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2014-Chevrolet-Express-3500--121684423http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2014-Chevrolet-Express-3500--121684423/brochure[/font][/size][font=arial, sans-serif]CompareSave[/font][/font][/size]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=x-small][font=arial, sans-serif]$18,994
 Get Financing 

[size=small]2014 Chevrolet Express 3500, Extended Passenger Van, 3RD Row Seating, CARFAX 1 OWNER, Accident Free History, Clean Carfax, and Keyless Entry. What a wonderful deal! A great deal in Cerritos! Your quest for a gently used van is over. This wonderful-looking 2014 Chevrolet Express 3500 has on...
[/font][/size][/font][/size]

MORE DETAILS
[size=undefined][size=undefined][size=undefined]
[/size]
ConditionUsed
Mileage38842
Engine Size6.0L
Fuel TypeFlex Fuel
[size=x-small]Penske Chevrolet Buick GMC Website 
Cerritos, CA
(Map) 
7142-726 (558)
[/size][/size][/size]

Pros for the ex-shuttle are the hi top and bench seats with belts (some are buckets), cons are excessive miles usually.  The SuperShuttle (blue) airport vans go out of service with about 400,000 miles or more, often the trans has been replaced but not the 5.4 or 6.8 V10 engines, which speaks well for them. Trouble is the suspension and front end have all those 400K miles...  :huh:

Ive seen CL ads for those for under $5K
The 3500 with a new hightop is what Im thinking. Unless i can find one with a hightop on it. Gona go drive a few, there are plenty to choose from.

Thanks for the input

This world:  "Theres a couple forum members who have one however you will get tons more (scary) stories over on the Promaster forums.  Just Google them.
Remember that satisfied owners rarely post..."

Please stop spreading FUD and disinformation about the Promaster platform.

I do encourage onlookers to do their googling on all platforms that interest them, and pick the one that's right for you. Don't rely on innuendo from posters who hate platforms they've never even owned.

grumpyjarhead said:

I have a some left over Autocheck VIN reports I can run for you if you like. I bought a batch of them but bought soon after. The nice thing about Autocheck is they have the best auction records and many vans go through auctions.

grumpyjarhead said:
We like the Dodge Ram Promaster for the tall square shape. It looks like it may have a few more inches of room than other models. That said they may be junk, can anyone speak to their reliability?

The PM interior excels in two ways: squareness (easy to build in, preserve the most room) and width, especially at the top.

If you need height the Transit High Roof is 81" and the ultrarare Sprinter Mega Roof is even taller but I've never seen one. I am collecting some info on Eurovans that may be helpful in your search.

grumpyjarhead said:
We like the Sprinter desil vans for milage and the supposed longevity of the desil motors. But I expect that maintnance and repairs would be costly and could be hard to easily find a mechanic to work on it.

Yes, the Sprinter diesels have the highest mpg of any van I know.

grumpyjarhead said:
A school bus isnt out of the question either.

If you decide to sniff around busses further, the folks at the skoolies forum will be helpful in sorting out insurance and other schoolie-specific stuff.

Keep us filled in on your progress!

FS, again, everything I posted about the Promaster was correct, it was just the timeframe that was off. The newer model years have fewer issues and their parts supply line has been improved. I don't hate any platform. I'd be happy to be given a Promaster and give the forum an extended 10 year test.  :)

For full size vans I'd suggest reading my sticky - https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Info-On-Common-Vans

I've seen a fair few full size Ford Transit vans used near your price tag. Great fuel economy, reliability, and you can get VERY high tops and there's several length options. Plus, the high tops are all metal unibody extensions versus the fiberglass tops you see/buy with conversion vans.

That said, With that budget I'd probably find an early 2000s Express van in a 3500 trim cargo version (no extra windows) and then add a high top and build it out as a class b. No shortage of 15 packs with the 5.7 + 4L80e combo out there and plenty of them go 300k+ miles with little more than regular maintenance.

grumpyjarhead said:
Thanks for the grate responce frater. I think i may have found a candidate on craigs list. Just have to go check it out its close to us.
https://mobile.craigslist.org/cto/6161006224.html

Autocheck found no dealbreakers with the vehicle.  It was listed as fleet and had over 100 documented regular maintenance points (ie, frequently and transparently maintained ).

Full report attached, if I can figure out how that works. First time attacher here.

Attachments

• 1FBSS31L1YHB60113.pdf
    143.4 KB