No Fan of Power (windows & door locks)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte's Web

Reaction score
I'm no fan of power windows/door locks.  For reasons purely my own, I hope never to have either.

But I've been looking with interest at a sweet 1990 Dodge cargo van that has both.  

So my question is:  Can this "power" feature simply be deactivated?  
Or is it not simple,  perhaps even impracticable?

confused.gif

sure you could deactivate but then how are you going to roll your windows up and down. you need to convert them I have no idea how easy on a Dodge on a Chevy it is easy peesy. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
...you need to convert them I have no idea how easy on a  Dodge on a Chevy it is easy peesy.

Easy perhaps, but is it likely to be cheap? 
Has anyone done this?

like I said I have never done a Dodge. on a Chevy you just need the manual regulator and handle. pick-a-part 10 bucks a side. just remove the electric motor and regulator and install the manual. drill a hole in the door panel and install the crank. easy. going the other way is easy too. highdesertranger

come on you Dodge people chime in here. btw I didn't mention it, but I am not a fan of power windows either. highdesertranger

Probably make the most sense to just use the power windows until you have a problem, then ya gotta take it apart and deal with it anyway.

I don't know how you could get rid of power locks though. I saw a video of a guy swapping out both front doors completely so he could have power windows and locks, so I imagine the reverse would work as well. I would think you could pick up a couple doors for a '90 van pretty cheap from a junk yard...

the ram van was made from 1971 to 2003 so i would just find some manual roll up doors and switch them

I'd say the same as Brad, why not just keep it til it does fail? Why spend money on something that isn't broke? Unless you have a really personal reason like being trapped inside or something.

I personally love them. Makes life so much easier being able to put the dog's window up and down as needed.

The problem my sister had was that it was easy for her dog to do it, too. Dachsy toenails rule the windows!

I like manual crank windows because they can be operated with the ignition off.

Been thinking as about re-wiring my van power windows to be "constant on," not just powered when the key is on. Can anyone think of a reason why this is a bad idea? Why are no factory power windows wired to work when the key is off?

BradKW said:
...just use the power windows until you have a problem, then ya gotta take it apart and deal with it anyway.

Never to be forgotten was a time years ago when power windows failed. 
I was driving with a friend thru South Dakota in the middle of summer with two bored & rowdy ten year old boys.  First the AC quit, next the windows. 
In the UP position. 

The outcome I will leave to your imagination, but I confess I was almost tempted to drink & drive.

Nope, I'd best avoid power all together.

a little frost and the electric windows are useless,happened to me this morning in the camry,i'll take gear to gear every time

BradKW said:
...just use the power windows until you have a problem, then ya gotta take it apart and deal with it anyway.

I was driving with a friend thru South Dakota in the middle of summer with two bored & rowdy ten year old boys.  First the AC quit, next the windows. 
In the UP position. 

The outcome I will leave to your imagination, but I confess I was tempted to drink & drive.

I'd best avoid power all together.

Charlotte said:
In the UP position. 

The outcome I will leave to your imagination, but I confess I was almost tempted to drink & drive.

Nope, I'd best avoid power all together.

Did someone fart? :angel:

we are not getting anywhere here. I would like to hear from Stern Wake and Got Smart if they don't know then maybe a Dodge forum. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
come on you Dodge people chime in here.  btw I didn't mention it,  but I am not a fan of power windows either.   highdesertranger

I'm not a fan of power windows either, but have to admit they are nice at times.
My Dodge van has manual cranks and locks, that suits me. I would imagine they could be swapped out just as easy as any other, but if not, there is always the option of swapping the whole door(s).

I've no Idea how hard it is to convert from electric to manual windows.

Swapping doors from a '78 to a '92/3 that has manual cranks would be easiest until one also decides to replace the badly worn hinge pin hardware that prevent door from closing as nicely as the old.

Less work than converting or swapping would be some window and  window switch maintenance so that failure is extremely unlikely, and not the end of the world if it does occur. My drivers side window started moving slow and I thought the motor was ready for replacement.  I cleaned the trac and lubed the wheels inside and it is now nearly 1.5 years later and showing no signs of failure.

TMG51, i too have considered hardwiring windows so they operate without key to ON.  

Mine uses a thermal circuit breaker that takes power from ignition switch at base of steering column.  Thermal breaker is side by side with door lock breaker on steering column behind and below gauges.

I would disconnect the wire at the circuit breaker coming from Ignition switch, tape it, label it, and feed the Circuit breaker an always on 12vdc source.

pl11239450-automotive_and_thermal_trip_car_circuit_breaker_dc_circuit_protection.jpg

TrainChaser said:
The problem my sister had was that it was easy for her dog to do it, too.  Dachsy toenails rule the windows!

I use the child locks on the windows so they can only go up and down from the driver control.  Otherwise he has it opened all the way with in seconds, still can't figure out if he knows how to do that or it's just coincidence!

SternWa said:
Less work than converting or swapping would be some window and  window switch maintenance so that failure is extremely unlikely, and not the end of the world if it does occur. My drivers side window started moving slow and I thought the motor was ready for replacement.  I cleaned the trac and lubed the wheels inside and it is now nearly 1.5 years later and showing no signs of failure.

Thanks, SW
From my point of view, this is GREAT advice.

Charlotte