Cube Van Question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
00303_jSTcwxv8zcb_600x450.jpg

Is it feasible to take box trucks without a pass-through and convert to having one? I've never seen an example of this.

After seeing what it takes to turn a roll-up into a barn door in FabberMcGee's thread, I wouldn't want two of those projects on each end of box before I could even start the interior conversion, but I'm thinking I might be able to deal with one. Limiting it to barn doors and pass through really shrinks the availability pool...

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/cto/5378939774.html

It looks like there is enough room to cut a crawl-through door in the cab. I don't think I'd want to rely on just the roll-up door in the back. You'd have to leave the door partially opened when parked which could be tempting for either someone to break in looking for goodies in what appears to be an unattended cargo truck or to close it and trap you inside.

That box looks like it floats against the cab, which can pose it's own set of problems.
It's better if the cab is attached to the box, much easier to make a pass through door.
I got rid of my roll-up door, and put up a wall and a man door.

^ Ditto
You would need to find some type of donut type seal to make any doorway cut out water-tight.
Not something I'd want to deal with but it is doable.

Yeah, watertight and possible movement are the things that worry me. I think I'll scratch that off my list unless I find examples of how it can be done successfully. Ty

Patrick46 said:
a stepvan is what you're looking for! :D

I dunno if it's just my imagination or not, but it looked to me like there were a LOT more Cubevans around for sale than Stepvans.

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I dunno if it's just my imagination or not, but it looked to me like there were a LOT more Cubevans around for sale than Stepvans.

Regards
John

That's right!

...because people would rather have a stepvan, than a cubicle...to they just sell 'em off!! :D

I think the reason you see more cube vans than step vans is that there are more made. My exposure to the commercial truck field tells me there are many more "hauling" applications for cube vans; the larger ones have standard dock height for easy loading and unloading with forklifts. Only industries requiring the driver to easily "step" into and out of the van (route drivers; laundry trucks) multiple times a day are interested in the lower deck height of a step van.

I was picking up some parts at my local commercial truck supplier for my Peterbilt recently. His lot was full of new and used cube vans of various heights and lengths; but only 2 step vans. On the way home I passed a Ford dealer, and way back in the raer of the lot were two brand new step vans. Couldn't help myself; I turned in to look. Pretty sweet, although a bit long for me (probably 18'), but talk about cube space utilization, WOW! White, diesel, all aluminum, twin doors, barn doors on the rear; what's not to like!

Just my opinion.

Latest posts