Anybody convert one of these?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morongobill

Reaction score
Everyday I park and wait for my shift to start as a shuttle driver and this is always parked across the street. And everyday I think about getting one and trying to turn it into a camper.

No duals on the back but it appears this Chevy truck could have a pass- thru door put in. Any thoughts? Seen anything similar out on the road?

IMAG0536_Perfectly_Clear.jpg

I have a similar cube van I am in the process of converting, it has the pass through door to the cab, and duallies.
8' X 12' on the inside with an 8 foot ceiling.

Here's mine:

truck small.jpgTruck small 2.jpgtruck small 3.jpgTruck small 4.jpg

Attachments

• truck small.jpg
    truck small.jpg
    264.3 KB
  • Truck small 2.jpg
    Truck small 2.jpg
    253.5 KB
  • truck small 3.jpg
    truck small 3.jpg
    267 KB
  • Truck small 4.jpg
    Truck small 4.jpg
    274.1 KB
Thanks gents! I forgot one with the flatscreen and Playstation. The table hinges off the door at the back...it's a little hard to see. It's a 1992 and now has a whopping 32000 Km's (about 20000 miles) on it.
truck small 5.jpg

Attachments

• truck small 5.jpg
    truck small 5.jpg
    255.6 KB
bcbullet said:
Here's mine:

I really like how your wall paneling turned out...is that birch? Birch always stains up so unpredictably, especially full panels usually have the weird splotchy grain. What color is that stain, cherry?

I managed to find a clear out on pre-finished paneling, so I went with that...it had some bizarre name, but is basically a redish mahogany. I bought out all they had at the time thankfully, so I still have four sheets left to convert the bed/couch under the TV into a full time dinette (convertible back to a bed as needed).
This truck has been used for the last four years to see my "divorced kids" in a city three hours away. We did hotels for about six months and it was a financial strain, so I said "Kids, how would you like to live in a stealth RV that old dad will build himself? We can go wherever we want and blend in with the commercial trucks a bit for parking" It turns out we have now spent over 200 nights in it but the end is approaching...daughter graduated and is in school in Vancouver and son is graduating this year. We loved every minute of it and have tons of stories to tell...pizza deliveries to the white truck at the end dead end streets, some of the coolest urban camping locations, etc.etc. Everyone had their own bed, and we managed to get through it without killing each other. Truth be told, I think it brought us closer to each other.
Anyway, sorry to ramble on, it's just nice to have a "win" every once in a while and this truck was a big part of one. It actually changed my whole outlook on life and forced me to see the joy that this lifestyle can possibly bring. A few more years and the latest (15 years now) Mrs.Bullet and I plan on hitting the road in it for months at a time, living in plain site.

Edit: I should mention that the cabinets I made from pre-finished 3/4 birch. The whole thing should outlast me!

Hey Bullet
I'm not sure if I've told you this before , but........
Your rig looks way better than the mass produced crap that most RVs are these days and I'm sure it is built better too !
You should sell the plans to Winnebago , Brad , just do it !

Now something more important.
Could you post a bigger pic of the sheppie?
I'm kinda partial......

This is a pic of my "Onboard Security"

Icon 7 MR. IKE.jpg

His name is Icon.
Not with us anymore but his pic is in the window of my door with a beware of dog sticker.
His grandpa was owned by Bruce Lee

Attachments

• Icon 7 MR. IKE.jpg
    Icon 7 MR. IKE.jpg
    163.6 KB
Oh My Goshk
I meant Bill go for it.
Good plan for Brad too !

For the OP...I would love to do another in a truck that size!! Square walls and flat roofs make all the difference in the world for speed and ease of building. I did a van last year for quick weekend camping trips and I swear never again! lol!

Sure can rvpopeye! Sounds like Icon was a good pup. This is Rosco...not sure of his background, just a lucky guy that found a good home! Part Shepherd and part ?????

Rosco 2.jpgRosco.jpgRosco 3.jpg

Attachments

• Rosco 2.jpg
    Rosco 2.jpg
    144.8 KB
  • Rosco.jpg
    Rosco.jpg
    121.2 KB
  • Rosco 3.jpg
    Rosco 3.jpg
    404 KB
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Sure can rvpopeye! Sounds like Icon was a good pup. This is Rosco...not sure of his background, just a lucky guy that found a good home! Part Shepherd and part ?????[/font]

Rosco.jpg
Rosco 3.jpg
Rosco 2.jpg

Attachments

• Rosco.jpg
    Rosco.jpg
    121.2 KB
  • Rosco 3.jpg
    Rosco 3.jpg
    404 KB
  • Rosco 2.jpg
    Rosco 2.jpg
    144.8 KB
Conversions are never complete but I'm close. I've taken some short 3-day and 2 week trips to return and make changes and then give it another go. I'm pretty sure I'm getting close to a final version. Still unsure about side windows. Stealth isn't something I'm concerned about so well see.
I did think about the over-cab air deflector thing as an addition for better fuel mileage. I'm at 14.4/15.2 MPG in town and highway. I doubt it would make much difference for the amount of miles I drive.

Cube Van Conversion 3.jpg

Attachments

• Cube Van Conversion 3.jpg
    Cube Van Conversion 3.jpg
    327.7 KB
I think that is as close to ideal a unit to convert as is available.

tight doors as opposed to a step van
easy to drive
reasonable mpg
readily available tires/parts
some are available with barn doors, have even seen an RV side door

THX for the pics Bullet, Rosco looks like mostly if not full sheppie to me!
Hope you have him for many years ! Ikie was only around for 2 1/2 and miss him very much.

For all others following this thread........

There's a nice old stepvan parked next to me in the truck repair lot.
Diesel and all aluminum w/rear barn doors.
Partially converted to a mobile kitchen but empty now.
I love how accessible everything is for repairs
I've been drooling over it every day :rolleyes: !

I'll get some pics./specs.