A informal summer gathering in Flagstaff

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimindenver

Reaction score
I had planned on attending the summer RTR and while I understand and support Bobs situation, it doesn't mean I will not be in the Flagstaff area for the same time period.  Now I am not Bob, nor do I have his organizational skills or social media presence, so I would not feel comfortable stepping up and actually hosting a full blown RTR. I would enjoy spending time meeting some of you that had planned on attending in a informal setting. I'm thinking much smaller, no you tube announcement, no seminars and no potties. Should it get that big then people will need to spread out to avoid any issues but I can't see that happening.

So I will be there as will possibly a few others. Come if you like.

Early June just as the summer RTR had been planned. I'll look up the details on where it was held last year.

jimindenver said:
I had planned on attending the summer RTR and while I understand and support Bobs situation, it doesn't mean I will not be in the Flagstaff area for the same time period.

Jimiindenver, that would be great. I'd love to attend, meet and greet. Would like to get my solar install done in June. Then when I make the much longer trip to the Q in January I'll be road ready.

It would be worth the trip just to meet the Whirling Dervish named Max, Jim's nice too.

Rob

jimindenver said:
I had planned on attending the summer RTR and while I understand and support Bobs situation, it doesn't mean I will not be in the Flagstaff area for the same time period.  Now I am not Bob, nor do I have his organizational skills or social media presence, so I would not feel comfortable stepping up and actually hosting a full blown RTR. I would enjoy spending time meeting some of you that had planned on attending in a informal setting. I'm thinking much smaller, no you tube announcement, no seminars and no potties. Should it get that big then people will need to spread out to avoid any issues but I can't see that happening.

I looked into this. The rangers for Coconino National Forest are in charge of the Flagstaff area. Below is what they have on their website. If anyone wants to post where they are at in the forest for others to show up if they want then it may not be considered a group or group activity so a permit may not be needed. However, if more than 75 show up they may still consider it a group so it may be best to go the permit and toilet route. Anyone have an idea how many showed up for the summer RTR last year? That may give us an indication. Of course Jim's suggestion of spreading out in the forest if too many show up may be a good idea to avoid the permit and toilet issue. Does anyone know if that is what happened to the summer RTR people after the rangers told the group to leave last year? Did the rangers allow that or did they tell everyone to leave the forest? I will definitely be there.

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]"Weddings, Family Gatherings, and Other Large Groups[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A special use permit is required for groups larger than 75 people, or for any size group which charges a fee to attend an event. While a group of less than 75 people may not require a permit, there are some regulations that may apply.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Since each District is unique, we recommend that you contact the Ranger District where you intend to hold your event or group activity for specific information.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here are some things to consider. This list is not all-inclusive.[/font]
  • For any group activity, toilet facilities are required for groups greater than 25 people and/or groups staying longer than 24 hours.
  • All garbage associated with the event must be picked up and removed. Incorporate "Leave No Trace" principles during your visit.
  • Any and all fire restrictions require full compliance, and the group is required to supply adequate water and tools for properly extinguishing any campfires built.
  • Introduction of non-native species is prohibited. This means, use of birdseed, rose petals, rice, etc. are not allowed.
  • Some areas of the forest will not accommodate groups due to resource damage. Please contact the Ranger District office for information."

Some research into the subject as to what law applies would be wise. The Rainbow folks, both national and regional, have dealt with it, but I am not familiar with details. There is likely also alternatives for dealing with waste with some sort of a pit latrine, and, of course, self-sufficient rigs as in the Moab area. I most likely won't be there, but am interested in Solstice event. Grand Teton or the Sawtooths?

You know, I have a summer job in Inyo National Forest east of Yosemite starting around 6/15... I'm thinking I might stop and camp a few nights in the general vicinity of Flagstaff. Gosh, there's a good chance I might run into some folks I know the couple of days I'm there. Nothing firm, though. Just a maybe.

That's not that hard to do, is it?

Not at all. A bit ago I was camped on FR 222 off of 180 going towards the Grand Canyon and I have the map for what was the summer RTR if you PM me. I think there is plenty of spots up that way.

I was planning on the summer RTR so I may just as well head out anyway and join whoever shows up.

That was my thought in doing it. Like me there may be people that had been planning on being there, some may have making it their summer vacation. This way there is still something to do, some place to go and still meet some of the tribe. As long as everyone remembers that I'm not as good looking as Bob is, no one will be disappointed. ;)

I will get there the first week of June and stay a few weeks.

I met someone here in the Walmart parking lot with a 84 Tioga. It turns out he has only been on the road for three week and had wanted to attend the summer RTR. Now he is coming the the informal gathering.

I want to reiterate that this is just me saying that I will be in the area and if some people want to come camp in the same place as I am in, so be it. This isn't a end around for the RTR, I haven't discussed it with Bob and we need to stay spread out enough as to not give the appearance of a organized gathering. It's just the chance to be parked in the general area and maybe meet some of the tribe.

QUOTE:
However, if more than 75 show up they may still consider it a group so it may be best to go the permit and toilet route. Anyone have an idea how many showed up for the summer RTR last year? That may give us an indication.
ENDQUOTE:

The ONLY RTR I've attended was this January's. One of the most noticeable things about that RTR was that I talked to maybe 10 or 15 people before I ran into ONE person who had even heard of the forum. The huge number of people were there because of the YouTube channel. If this discussion stays on the forum, I predict low numbers of people involved in "chance gatherings"...

But then, I'm a terrible predictor. You DO want to play poker with me! "if it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all". :)

jimindenver said:
 As long as everyone remembers that I'm not as good looking as Bob is, no one will be disappointed. ;)

Oh, stop!  Are you digging for "Oh, sure you are, Jim!" ...... 

:D

You're a handsome devil, you butthead!   :p

Latest posts