Your Miles Per Gallon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cortttt

Reaction score
I'd like to get an idea of the MPG you're are getting with your vans and any insights you've noticed regarding gas mileage.

Some info would be helpful.

• Year
  • Make / Model
  • 1500/2500/3500
  • Normal Wheelbase / Extended version
  • Engine
  • Tranny
  • Drive (2WD/AWD/4WD)
  • Average driving speed on highway
  • # of Miles on the Van
  • Loaded up / Moderately loaded / Not loaded up - you decide
  • Towing something?
Approximate City/Hwy/Combined MPG

• Anything you've done that you believe may have increased your MPG
  • Anything you've done that you believe decreased your MPG

Just a suggestion for your list here.  Would you want to include 'High Top" and "Mid Top" ?  Those will have a big influence on those mileage numbers too.  Tire pressure also. (I carry 50 to 55 in the front and depending on how loaded from 65 to 80 in the rear)

My 90 Ford E 350 351 V8 efi, extended wheel base has a high top,  and the tranny has auto "overdrive".

I don't have mileage figures presently.

I have even considered the cost of driving to a distant location vs the cost of hiring a Tractor Trailer with a "Lo Boy" to deliver it to that destination.  (if I could ride with the driver)

Much like this without the side window over the rear wheel

2011-ford-e-series-van.jpg

I will go grab a bag of popcorn for this one. Love to see what all of you have to say on this.

John

What's that? You want to hear some about my economy?

Well now, sit down and let me tell you of my neuroses.

I track my MPG at every fill up to the 100th decimal, using a spreadsheet I made. It performs a lot of calculations (more so than are evident here). Enter date, odometer reading, # of gallons, and price, and all sorts of statistics populate. These include a feature for calculating the cost of a future trip (plug in miles, optionally specify fuel price, optionally choose your "best" highway entries) as well as graphs which automatically plot fuel consumption in relation to distance traveled.

Four readings at every fill up and all this data happens. I use my cell phone to take a picture of the gas pump and odometer, and fill in the sheet later.

Vehicle is a 1999 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9L, extended, full high top with overcab.

economy1.png

Economy2.png

Attachments

• economy1.png
    economy1.png
    144.5 KB
  • Economy2.png
    Economy2.png
    195 KB
I seem to be getting around 7.8mpg. I noticed two 5 mile trips seem to move the fuel guage as much as a single 20 mile trip.

1982 Ford E350, 4x4, Extended+normal roof, carb 460 (7.5l), C6, 60mph, unknown milage on body, 2,000 miles on rebuilt engine, light load, 4.10 axles, 265/75r16 tires.

My 2003 Dodge B2500 with 318 and 4 spd auto was getting around 11 mpg in city, and 16 highway last time I checked.

2001 FORD E350xl hightop 7.3 lt. super duty diesel pumped to the max and loaded driving at or below 65, 17-19 MPG

eDJ_ said:
Just a suggestion for your list here.  Would you want to include 'High Top" and "Mid Top" ?  Those will have a big influence on those mileage numbers too.  Tire pressure also. (I carry 50 to 55 in the front and depending on how loaded from 65 to 80 in the rear)

My 90 Ford E 350 351 V8 efi, extended wheel base has a high top,  and the tranny has auto "overdrive".

I don't have mileage figures presently.

I have even considered the cost of driving to a distant location vs the cost of hiring a Tractor Trailer with a "Lo Boy" to deliver it to that destination.  (if I could ride with the driver)

Much like this without the side window over the rear wheel

2011-ford-e-series-van.jpg

I forgot high-top! Darn - yes and anything else anyone puts on the roof (ladder racks, storage...)

TMG51 said:
What's that? You want to hear some about my economy?

Well now, sit down and let me tell you of my neuroses.

I track my MPG at every fill up to the 100th decimal, using a spreadsheet I made. It performs a lot of calculations (more so than are evident here). Enter date, odometer reading, # of gallons, and price, and all sorts of statistics populate. These include a feature for calculating the cost of a future trip (plug in miles, optionally specify fuel price, optionally choose your "best" highway entries) as well as graphs which automatically plot fuel consumption in relation to distance traveled.

Four readings at every fill up and all this data happens. I use my cell phone to take a picture of the gas pump and odometer, and fill in the sheet later.

Vehicle is a 1999 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9L, extended, full high top with overcab.

I think we can trust your figures! I imagine you have the biggest Dodge van you could buy with the biggest engine  with a high top. ...That's perfect. You're our outlier on the large side.

wagoneer said:
2001 FORD E350xl hightop 7.3 lt. super duty diesel pumped to the max and loaded driving at or below 65, 17-19 MPG

Congratulations....Diesels make a difference :)

Lost in the world said:
I seem to be getting around 7.8mpg. I noticed two 5 mile trips seem to move the fuel guage as much as a single 20 mile trip.

1982 Ford E350, 4x4, Extended+normal roof, carb 460 (7.5l), C6, 60mph, unknown milage on body, 2,000 miles on rebuilt engine, light load, 4.10 axles, 265/75r16 tires.

If you have AC power nearby, a block heater would really improve your mileage on those short trips.

(usually I don't have access to power where I park...)

wagoneer said:

I have a question about your diesel engine. Do you drive a lot of short trips or long trips? How often do you change oil?

Reason I'm asking, is because it takes a diesel engine longer to warm up than a gasoline engine and on short trips it will build up condensation in the crankcase. I'd like to get a diesel, but that's the only thing holding me back from buying one.

From a guy I know:

2001 Chevy Express 1 Ton Extended - not sure which engine - he charts the mileage regularly. he told me he was getting 20 Hwy. On a recent trip - going 60-65 - he got 19.6 mpg (!).

The vans got 200K on it - he said he's hardly touched it.

Yes GoJo good point I will drive it all day 50% city 50% highway, then drive my 2005 Jetta wagon TDI for short runs I change oil about every 6k it takes 9 quarts of synthetic or about 40 bucks worth of oil. I have never been low on oil ,this is a good thing. The only really expensive maintenance are the injectors every 150k
plus it takes 2 huge cranking amp batteries just to get her going.

Hi, I have a 95 Astro van. Cargo 4.3. Never drive over 65 mph. Average 18 to 21 miles per gallon. HoboJoe

HoboJoe said:
Hi, I have a 95 Astro van. Cargo 4.3. Never drive over 65 mph.  Average 18 to 21 miles per gallon. HoboJoe

That's pretty danged good. Is that loaded with all your gear?

2010 GMC  Savanna 3500 4.8 L engine - 6 spd. tranny - unloaded, nothing on top

From Portland to Las Vegas - almost all hwy - going 55-65 mph

First Leg - 161 miles - 16.1 MPG
Second Leg - 396 miles - 17.83 MPG
Third Leg - 458 miles - 18.45 MPG (!) - with a strong sideways wind. .

Year - 2000
Make / Model - Ford Econoline
1500/2500/3500 - 150
Normal Wheelbase / Extended version - Normal
Engine - 5.4
Drive (2WD/AWD/4WD) - 2WD/RWD
Average driving speed on highway - 55-62MPH
# of Miles on the Van - 170,000
Loaded up / Moderately loaded / Not loaded up - you decide - Moderately loaded
Towing something? - No
Approximate City/Hwy/Combined MPG - 17-18MPG
Anything you've done that you believe may have increased your MPG - No
Anything you've done that you believe decreased your MPG - Cargo carrier on the roof rack.

East said:
Year - 2000
Make / Model - Ford Econoline
1500/2500/3500 - 150
Normal Wheelbase / Extended version - Normal
Engine - 5.4
Drive (2WD/AWD/4WD) - 2WD/RWD
Average driving speed on highway - 55-62MPH
# of Miles on the Van - 170,000
Loaded up / Moderately loaded / Not loaded up - you decide - Moderately loaded
Towing something? - No
Approximate City/Hwy/Combined MPG - 17-18MPG
Anything you've done that you believe may have increased your MPG - No
Anything you've done that you believe decreased your MPG - Cargo carrier on the roof rack.

Very encouraging East to see you get that good MPG with that pretty big engine in the 2000 Econoline  with 170K  with cargo carrier and roof rack...Nice!

Driving slower really helps...

Accrete's 2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD 5.3L van - with high top and loaded to the gills

Just back from a 1200 mile road trip ~80% highway ~15 city ~5 off road. It was quite shocking to average out the fillups but the van, fully loaded and 6800lbs at the scales with us, fuel and food/water for one week... averaged 18mpg! I did the math on each fill, and the trip from Sumpter Oregon to Hood River Oregon was 20mpg against the headwind going west down the Columbia river gorge.