You don't really need to wash your hair at all.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only hair product I used to use was wax for my flat top haircut, now I just buzz cut it for a burr cut. I still wash it but it is more of a way to get soaped up! When I went into service I was one of the few that got to let their hair grow out! Really got mad I had to pay 90 cents for them to go through the motions of giving me a minute and a half hair cut.

90 cents is still a good deal.

I am staying away from silicone in shampoos which clogs your scalp pores and prevents hair growth. Also impedes sweating, an important cooling function. They don't call us hot heads for nothing.

If I am using a safe shampoo without silicone, I will still condition my ends. If you tip your head down you can do this without getting any on your skin. If you get silicone  shampoo on your back, the result is an eruption of clogged pores.
-crofter

crofter said:
This article lists the brands for silicone free shampoo, all natural and also common commercial brands. Scroll down to find the lists. Link to article.
-crofter

https://www.ecoamigable.com/silicone-free-shampoo-brands/

For me, that falls under "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I have thick hair that grows over 8 inches a year. Unless something changes my old hair will be somewhere between Bob Wells and Gandalf the Gray.

barleyguy said:
For me, that falls under "if it ain't broke don't fix it...
Agreed. Why put silicone and toxic chemicals in perfectly good shampoo.

FWIW I have noticed I can go longer & fluffier without a shampoo when using products without silicone which coats the hair and scalp weighing it down. Also takes less to clean my hair because I am not removing silicone, just dirt.
-crofter