Yosemite area - Any Suggestions??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewker

Reaction score
Hello, 

I've been looking for work in the Bay area, thought I would head to Yosemite area this weekend and get out of the madness of the Bay. Looking for a peaceful (and free or $10/night) area that at the very least has decent cell phone coverage, but the ideal would be a cafe or library with wifi nearby and some kind of facility that has pay showers. I see there are numerous towns along the basin of yosemite / national forests ... any suggestions?

I would prefer to avoid big mountain areas because my rig doesn't do well with that, and I don't need to go into Yosemite park proper. Just looking for a peaceful nature spot to dwell and get re-energized and save some $$. 

Thanks!

Nelder Grove, about twenty miles south of Yosemite has free, bare bones campsites and a few nice hiking trails. I had no cell service when I was last there though.

Hi drewker,

This is a little late but someone may find it useful. It is my first post (of many, I hope). I saw this thread and thought I'd chime in with my experience in the area.

I've done a lot of camping in the Briceburg area off Hwy 140 between Mariposa and Yosemite. Briceburg road is along the Merced River and starts before Hwy 140 gets really steep. I've camped there many times in a minivan and a e150 over the years as I had a brother living in Mariposa before he died a few years ago.

There are 3 campgrounds along Briceburg Rd. They all cost $10 last time I checked.

I think there are a few locations along Briceburg Road where you could boondock free. They would be on the side of the road opposite the river. I would not expect to get a cell signal in this river canyon. You can get a cell signal in the town of Mariposa. You can get free WIFI at the Library, Happy Burger Diner and Roadhouse 140, but you will need to be a customer at the latter two.

There is a KOA on 140 near Briceburg, and there is a fairgrounds in town. I do not know their shower fees. There is piped water available at the start of Briceburg Road.

There are some pretty nice spots in the OHV areas outside of Long Barn, CA, which is just North of Yosemite a ways. I stayed there a few nights last week. Cell service with ATT was decent, though I don't know about showers or wifi.

Latest posts