Year 72 and NEW to Life!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van Ella

Reaction score
In a half hour I will be 72 yrs young, and I am entering a long awaited journey. My mother always said I was a gypsy... and now I understand - my gypsy gene has always been activated and now it's in full bloom!

Sold house after 26 yrs in Austin, and bought 2018 Sprinter Cargo, high roof, 4 wheel drive; drove it from Austin TX to Tualatin OR to be built. 

Since I never drove anything larger than a Toyoto RAV4, I was terrified ... and the van had NO windows. Mercedes dealer in San Juan TX volunteered his wife to drive with me; she loves to drive and drives through the night and we have one of these - he said.

So I spoke with her - we hit it off - and she drove the van from San Juan to Austin 7/10/18 and we drove straight through to Oregon no stop; arrived 7/13 9 am! Wow what a start.

Van Specialties did partial build and I toured Oregon for weeks; just left it there for the final phase to be completed by end of September. Spent 68 days in Oregon and didn't want to leave. However, winter, fog, rain, gray are NOT me and so I will wander and explore the USA. When I find a place I really can't leave, I know I will have found my new home... or not - LOL

Now, I am home in Austin for cataract surgery. Had the terrifying experience of realizing that I want to live on the road AND CANNOT drive at NIGHT!! Realty is terrifying.

Much advice needed about van life: insurance, internet, address, safety, meeting other travelers, and more.

Advice welcome!! 

Oh - van is white like vanilla; my sister named her Van Ella; my brother named her Van Diesel. Perhaps she will name herself as we travel together.

Hi, Van Ella... welcome to the forums. So, what did the company in Oregon do to your van? Did you have an air conditioning unit installed? I am planning to do my living space myself but will want help with solar and installation of a fan or air conditioning unit, on the roof.

On night driving: unless there's an overwhelmingly important reason, it's best to stay off the roads at night, especially us ladies. We take many risks, and we need to carefully choose which risks lead to value-added outcomes. The other thing is, when you drive at night you miss the character of the place. No landscape, no geology, no geography. No roadside diners (a weakness of mine...I love local color en route). The road, rather than simply being the way to get from point A to point B, becomes the destination.

Great that you got the Sprinter 4x4! I traveled in one of those for over 2 years and loved it. Traded it for a truck and 5th wheel trailer which I also love, but I miss my van. Wishing you many healthy years of travel and enjoyment!

The Dire Wolfess

Good morning Ella and Happy Birthday!

My sight is still 'ok', but still, unless it can't be helped, I don't drive after dark. Doing so just makes me weary.

I hope you have a beautiful day!

See you at WRTR/RTR!

Peace,

Liv

have fun out there on the road Miss Gypsy :) :) Van Ella is sounding very nice!
when it is in the blood you just have to act on it, safe travels and hope your van is wonderful for you!

Welcome to the CRVL forums Van Ella! What an exciting start to your new life! Feel free to ask questions about anything and everything. Hope you make it to the RTR in January so that we can meet you and see your van in person. :)

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Usually start looking for a spot around 3PM after driving 4 hours, In bed right after sunset usually up at daybreak make coffee watch the sunrise and make plans. That is comfortable for me. I have seen way to many accidents driving at night.

not a night driver here also. night time is for relaxing and feeling secure in the campsite and reflecting on the day :)

Welcome Young Lady!!
Your Van sounds wonderful. I hope it serves you well. 
I imagine 99% of the info you need can be found on this site or youtube.
Safe travels!

Marcus

Vanella....what a great name!

And wow...a 4WD Sprinter....they don't give those away cheap!

Starting out in style...good luck out there....

:cool:

Hi Van Ella,

So happy to see so many older folks here... like me:)

Happy birthday & welcome. I'm new here, too.

Cheers,

Carla

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you have been busy to say the least . For internet you might look at denver Jim’s YouTube video on it he says it’s out there really cheap . Bob wells has done a number of videos with him. Good luck, hope to cya at RTR.