Xantrex Prowatt 1000 Watt Inverter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have that same model. I paid less than that on Amazon 2 years ago, However I just checked and they have gone way up to 280. So yeah that seems like a good price. Inverter works fine. Highdesertranger

Thanks HDR,

I'm trying to outfit my Jeep as a compact camper with everything needed to stand alone without having to set up the tent. I don't use much electrical wise, that refer I just got is going to be the biggest draw on the house batteries but I'm going to need a decent inverter and 1000 Watts of pure sine current should cover anything I can imagine I'll use (maybe a small coffee maker).

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers!

Got their remote switch too. Good idea.

I have the Xantrex ProSine 1000.  Accidently shorted the power cables and then sparks and it was dead.  I called Xantrex and was informed that they don't repair them, but offered a 30% discount on a new one.

My buddy works at the generator shop at a major Air Force base and fixed it like new for a $5.00 part.

I am not a fan of Xantrex after this experience, but the ProSine has lasted 4 years since the repair with daily use.

Well that sux... Sorry to hear that but I'm glad your buddy in the AGE (Aircraft Generation Equipment - retired USAF here) shop was able to repair it. It's usually the case in my experience. It's probably a liability issue on the part of the company as well as just another example of our throwaway culture... It's going to change though. There's one prophetic line Denzel Washington's character had in the movie "Book of Eli". "We kill each other now for things we used to throwaway...".

I've got one of these coming so I'll definitely watch out for any chance to short it.

Cheers!

For those that don't want to pay for the remote switch, I found this very blurry schematic of it online. (Sorry, best I can find.) You can easily make your own remote switch with this for probably cheaper than the one they try to sell you. I just didn't have room to mount the big panel their remote switch comes with, so I just wanted to know what wires to short in order to turn on/off the inverter. Note that this schematic is the jack view of the remote switch itself.

hqdefault (1).jpg

Attachments

• hqdefault (1).jpg
    hqdefault (1).jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 11
A note on the above schematic,

The ignition lockout is unnecessary.
I would imagine the pilot light is also unnecessary(but desirable)
Which only leaves the momentary switch

Highdesertranger

Yes I can confirm, I have the Prowatt 1000, and I am just shorting the two wires it shows together with my own momentary pushbutton switch, and it turns on and off the inverter. Those are the only two wires you really need to bother with. Having the indicator light is nice too to know when the inverter is on or off when using a remote switch. But, I'm just using a hospital electrical outlet that has its own power indicator on it, so that solves that. A little pricey for just an outlet, but it is built like a tank.

https://www.gordonelectricsupply.com/p/Leviton-8200-Pli-Ivory-Pilot-Duplex-Receptacle/5655551

I have the Xantrex ProWatt 2000

Never had any trouble from it.

1) If I remember correctly Xantrex only repairs their larger Freedom\3000w 12vdc and above, Sine Wave units. Things may have changed.

Question: What was your requirement for a sine wave unit?