Wyoming Warning: *** Arrest

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moxadox

Reaction score
On July 8, 2018, a woman who was passing through Wyoming on her way from New Mexico to Montana was arrested in Jackson Hole and charged with a felony for possession of a 10 ml (two teaspoons) of *** oil. She was pulled over for a license plate violation, and subsequently searched. Here's the local news article:

http://planetjh.com/2018/08/01/***-oil-results-in-felony-charge/

At the time of her arrest, local stores in Jackson Hole had *** oil on their shelves!

This brings up a number of conflicting legal issues, and I'm sure that if the poor lady can afford an attorney it will be dismissed because Wyoming grows hemp under the Farm Bill, but in the meantime, oh, the stress!

I just wanted to share this so people know to avoid putting themselves at risk in prohibition states. I was frankly shocked that law enforcement would actually bring charges.

The Dire Wolfess

Now tossing the organic Hemp Hearts from Costco out the window.
These people are crazy

Lesson: keep your registration current. Know the local drug laws inside and out.

Lesson:
Know your right
Do not consent to a search
Do not answner questions

Attachments

• law 4.jpg
    law 4.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 74
What a bunch of crap. Poor woman

Firtree said:
Now tossing the organic Hemp Hearts from Costco out the window.
These people are crazy
I was once told in open court, by a superior court judge, for which I was representing myself in a big money case lawsuit, that "I could not know what the laws were or what they meant. Only an attorney can know the laws."  Our justice system, although the most sophisticated in the world, is clearly and unequivocally the worst. You can be arrested, imprisoned, tortured, beaten, deprived, lose everything etc., etc., here in the great u.s. of a., and they need no legitimate reason whatsoever. Period.  It's big business, power and control. That simple. Probably always be with every society until the end. Sound pessimistic?   Just my rock, concrete experience for the 60 years been on the planet, after trying to change it for I don't know how many years.

altruisticvanbuild said:
I was once told in open court, by a superior court judge, for which I was representing myself in a big money case lawsuit, that "I could not know what the laws were or what they meant. Only an attorney can know the laws."  Our justice system, although the most sophisticated in the world, is clearly and unequivocally the worst. You can be arrested, imprisoned, tortured, beaten, deprived, lose everything etc., etc., here in the great u.s. of a., and they need no legitimate reason whatsoever. Period.  It's big business, power and control. That simple. Probably always be with every society until the end. Sound pessimistic?   Just my rock, concrete experience for the 60 years been on the planet, after trying to change it for I don't know how many years.

I completely disagree, having traveled through most of the world; we do have one of the best, if not the best, court systems out there. It is by no means perfect, but it is one of the few where you are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Most countries the police can openly beat a confession out of you, even some of the more civilized places. We may have random acts of violence by rogue enforcers, but it is not systematic. I have been locked up before, and I have seen some terrible beat downs, but they were called for, not random, stupid stuff like taking a swing at a guard. Ever hear of the horror stories of the Mexican court system/jails? Our problem in my opinion is the stupid laws, not the court system. LEOs do have a lot of power, in general a good attitude and being respectful will work wonders. If your getting a ticket for expired registration, just accept it be friendly and respectful. Rolling your window down a crack and slapping a message saying I refuse to talk is inviting them to look for infractions.

Poor woman. No license. No registration. No insurance. Federal Schedule 1 drug in a state that enforces federal laws. I'm glad she didn't crash into someone.

She's from NM driving a car with expired Ca license, no insurance, expired drivers license.  She sounds like a real pillar of whatever community she happens to live in.  Doesn't sound like Wy is trying to ruin her life.  I'm sorry but when someone drives without liability insurance that pisses me off.  I pay extra for uninsured motorists so she can feel "free" live her life however she seems reasonable.

Yep, she definitely set herself up for a bruising. However, *** is now FDA approved https://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm611046.htm
But.
For mysterious reasons, DEA still has it listed under Schedule I, which is for drugs that have no medical use and high abuse potential. So it's a gray area that at least until it gets rescheduled will be a very easy hit if there are other reasons to search and seize.

The Dire Wolfess

Moxadox said:
Yep, she definitely set herself up

Consider that in Wyoming you are driving through a barren land with public services aligned with the federal. State drug laws mirror the federal law. Common sense dictates that you would keep the outside of your vehicle "looking legal" including the license plate.

FDA doesn’t make (or repeal) the federal laws. That is the job od Congress and only Congress. 

I agree it sucks, but I am 100% for enforcing the laws as they are written. Don’t like the law, talk to your congressman and work on getting it changed. Until then, it should be enforced.

FDA doesn't. DEA does. Thank you, Mr. Nixon. I was 16 the year pot became illegal, with the creation of the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA). Prior to that we all had a really good time growing our own and not worrying about a thing.

Just y'all be careful out there.

The Dire Wolfess

Nixon came up with the war on drugs specifically to provide an excuse to harass and jail his two main political opponents groups: the students / hippies / anti-Vietnam left, and the civil rights activist blacks.

Historical fact, well documented.

After spending a month in Colorado, with legal dispensaries on the main street of every little town, the giant sham of marijuana prohibition becomes starkly apparent.

John61CT said:
Nixon came up with the war on drugs specifically to provide an excuse to harass and jail his two main political opponents groups: the students / hippies / anti-Vietnam left, and the civil rights activist blacks.

Historical fact, well documented.
Well yeah, and a right good job he made of it.

The Dire Wolfess

USExplorer said:
After spending a month in Colorado, with legal dispensaries on the main street of every little town, the giant sham of marijuana prohibition becomes starkly apparent.
Ain't that the darn truth. (Puff)

The Dire Wolfess

She did actually take the *** into the jail with her, where they are going to do a strip search. There's that. Probably could not get a break after doing that.  ~crofter

Different states, different laws.
Consider the vape pen. The liquid inside is considered a concentrate and in some states, that is a felony with jail time.

Here is a link to a site listing all State laws, link specifically for Az, a popular vandwelling location.

Note the prevalent term, felony.

https://norml.org/laws/item/arizona-penalties

Now if her *** was formulated from industrial hemp and not from marijuana, it might be okay in Az.

There is nothing just about this. A jury nullification is in order if it goes to trial.