Wtf, someone is running this sprinter with 2 lugs on one wheel?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
Just saw this parked and something looked off... took a closer look... I would not want to drive behind this guy on the interstate.  It's mushroomed out around those two lug nuts showing it's been driven this way.

Attachments

• 20170619_200308.jpg
    20170619_200308.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
  • 20170619_200159.jpg
    20170619_200159.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
  • 20170619_200220.jpg
    20170619_200220.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • 20170619_200253.jpg
    20170619_200253.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
needs to be reported before someone dies,call that #

On a personal note, I would have called and advised Law enforcement. Realize it's not on the road at that very moment, but still,,,,

funny you posted this as I saw a Chevy full size SUV, possible a 1990's era, this guy had put on 20 or 22" rims, the right front had and I kid you not 3 inches of camber play. I was actually worried when I passed him. I did not want to be near that POS. Seriously was expecting that wheel to fly off. I didn't get a chance to get a plate and call it in.

I would have been tempted to put a note tucked into the drivers side window stating that the wheel is about to fall off.

can't fix stupid. but who can try to keep them off the road. that looks scary. I hate that style of lug nut are all sprinters like that? if they are that just lowered my rating of sprinters. highdesertranger

I dunno, I'm not familiar with that lug style, it looked different to me. I'm hoping this person realized the van is inoperable and left it parked. Will see if it's still there tomorrow.

oops that was supposed to read, but YOU can try to keep them off the road. highdesertranger

Tmg- do something please before they get in and drive off and get someone killed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a lug bolt not nut.  I have a utility trailer from the '40s that have wheel bolts.

Not only is the wheel held on by 2 of 5 lug bolts, it is off center and not tight against the axle flange.  Impossible to drive without feeling the wobble.  Bolts will break soon; definitely an accident waiting to happen.

-- Spiff

Hope this story ends well for the driver.
I think I would have taken a sharpie and written a heads up on the driver window....

The van was there the next morning. Didn't check in the afternoon. It was parked on the street.

Can you give me the address. I would like to call it in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading about this reminds me of a Car my Grand Mother had.  A Renault Dauphine.

Renault_Dauphine_DE-89-92_pic5.JPG

I'm sure all of these cars are back to "pots and pans" by now.....

but they only had 3 lug bolts per wheel from the Factory.  One bolt in the center of the Hub Cap held the cap on. 

I don't think that they could sell a car like that in this country today. 

Still,  I've seen a few people running two lug bolts side by side on a lot of small cars in past years.

I attribute a lot of it to those boys in the Service Stations who just love to lay on those compressed air Impact
Wrenches.   I've seen them start the nut on the lug and not even turn it a few times before tightening it with the Air Wrench.   The wrench has the power to run it tight cross threaded.  Then when you have a flat in the middle of nowhere.....the lug breaks off and you only have two fastenings to secure the spare with.

Repairing stupid starts with the young grease monkeys who think that they know what they are doing.

I insist that they not use air wrenches but first tightening the nuts with fingers and then using a lug wrench to manually tighten them.   I will check the tightness myself once its backed out of the bay onto the parking lot before leaving.  Over tightening with an Air Wrench may even stretch the lug studs and fatigue them where they may beak while driving. (under stressful turns or hitting bumps etc)

Having worked a number of years around this stuff I've seen enough to try to do as much of my own maintenance as I can.

eDJ_ said:
Reading about this reminds me of a Car my Grand Mother had.  A Renault Dauphine.

Wow, I learned to drive in one of those... :rolleyes: 

And then had to take my drivers' test in a Pontiac Parisienne of the vintage that had hugeass fins... :D

I've witnessed those guys go ballistic with the air impact wrenches, one time on my then friend's chevy diesel pickup for which he bought new aluminum rims.

I helped break off all the studs trying to unscrew them while sitting on the ground pushing on the bottom of a large 4 way lug wrench while pulling on the top. The aluminum rims were mushroomed too. He later drove that rig across country and the one wheel where the monkey did not go nuts with the impact wrench, flew off somewhere on I 10 in the florida panhandle, and they had to pull an Axelshaft to press out the old broken studs and to press in the new ones.

When I do my rotations and drum brake adjustments, I use a torque wrench at 80 90 then 100 Lbs in the star pattern.

If i were really concerned that this person would continue to drive on it, I'd unscrew the schrader valve and tape it to drivers window or perhaps just deflate the tire without removing that valve.

eDJ_ said:

<-------->

but they only had 3 lug bolts per wheel from the Factory.   
^^ See post 12 about Renault. ^^  It was actually a pretty cool little car.
I agree with not using an impact to start the nut. Quick way to ruin the stud. I watch tire people like a Hawk. Same with quickie lube joints.

impact wrenches are for taking bolts off not putting them on,unless you like them over tight or broken
it's just quick and easy and thats what the modern world is all about

anyone call the number on the van yet?

Gary68 said:
impact wrenches are for taking bolts off not putting them on,unless you like them over tight or broken
it's just quick and easy and thats what the modern world is all about

anyone call the number on the van yet?

A new record has been set. You (Gary68) replied to this on the 23rd, and I just got the subscription notification today, 6-28-17 at 2:26PM? That's what, 5 days plus?
Back OT, I hope it's parked because of the broken studs.