Would this work?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mizjewels

Reaction score
I came across this birdbath fountain on amazon. I'm thinking a hose between the unit and spray head ( they include 3 different heads) and tossed in a dishpan can make a nice little showering unit (and add a little ambiance when not being used for that purpose). I'd rather have a multi-setting hose sprayer on the end so when showering I wouldn't be wasting water(since this pumps continuously). Is it ok for these kind of pumps to be "on" but the water not passing through the sprayer - or would that burn it out? Just trying to figure if a hose sprayer would be feasible.

I was considering a pump sprayer, but this is really compact and would take up much less room, and allow me to use bowls/buckets/rubber totes I already have on hand.
Save
[img=16x16]chrome://interclue/content/cluecore/skins/default/pixel.gif[/img][img=16x16]chrome://interclue/content/cluecore/skins/default/pixel.gif[/img][img=16x16]chrome://interclue/content/cluecore/skins/default/pixel.gif[/img]

Save
[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]

What I did was to get a good garden sprayer (2 gal, for me..) and then a hose barb to add a kitchen sprayer hoze and nozzle instead of the original spray-wand thing. Easy to pump up and use. Requires Zero power to operate. No mechanicals to fail.

a how-to video with parts and descriptions

Yes that was my plan. I was searching the sprayers on amazon when I ran across this item. I figured this would save me from pumping and having to store a 2-3 gal sprayer. I ordered it yesterday so we'll see what happens. Worst case scenario I end up with a sweet little water feature for the campsite.

My only concern is whether or not the pump is powerful enough to lift water to a spray nozzle at shower head level. The first photo suggests the pump might struggle. But, you don't have to have the bulk container at ground level when using. Discussion points only, not a criticism. I do like the idea to the extent that I will check out similar at the local hardware.

Those pumps work best with a water flow to cary off the operating heat.  Shutting down the water flow is really hard on the seals.  How long it lasts would be interesting to know.  Every bit of information helps.  :D

A sweet little water feature to attract all kinds of critters, depending on where you are.

Also, water conservation should be a concern.

Ticklebellly said:
  But, you don't have to have the bulk container at ground level when using.  
Good point - I planned on having it on a table since I'd be setting it up to use like a dishwashing station outside.

GotSmart said:
 Shutting down the water flow is really hard on the seals.
Thanks for that info - I figured there might be some kind of issue. When it arrives I'll see if it has an on/off switch. Hopefully, as that should solve the issue correct?

cyndi said:
A sweet little water feature to attract  all kinds of critters, depending on where you are.
Yes, I figured it would be a nice addition to the campsite even if just for that purpose.

Sofisintown said:
Why not use a 2 gallon pump sprayer? They are only  $10 at Walmart...
Here is the link  

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RL-Flo-M...75035&wl11=online&wl12=13376325&wl13=&veh=sem
 at Save
Save

That was the plan till I saw this - which takes up way less room than the pump sprayer. Small spaces you know? Will go with the sprayer if this doesn't work. Are the $10 ones really worth it? Have you used one of those?

Ah HA! The barb thing is what I'm missing! I couldn't figure out how they fit together.

Thank you!

For my sink I think I'm gonna go with a siphon hose: a hinge, a tennis ball, and some scrap wood to make a foot pump. 5 gallons of fresh water > siphon hose gadget > sink > drains to 5 gallon bucket.

Has anyone used the PVC roof mounted solar water heater?