Would this be a good solar panel to purchase?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Reaction score
I need advice if this is a decent solar panel to purchase.  It is a 225 watt Topoint Poly panel for $200.00.  I talked with the guy that sales them on ebay out of his garage I think.

He has them in Ocala Florida if anyone is interested.  Here is the add . . . http://www.ebay.com/itm/225-Watt-To...r-Watt-Poly-Grade-A-Great-Price-/141432207360

This is not far from me and I can pick one up and not have to worry about shipping damage or shipping charges.  This is cheapest close by that I have found so far should I try one?
A SEEKER

That's a great price but be aware of it's voltage, 36 volt will require a more expensive controller and not all MPPT controllers can handle 36 volts. Many can, just be certain before you buy the controller.
Bob

Thanks for the replies.  I will pick up one of these panels next week.

New question I want to one day get a larger panel like 350 watt if I am ever near somewhere I find a good price on one and do not have to pay shipping.  With that in mind should I pay more for a better controller up front that can handle that?

I would like one that is programmable to charge the batteries at the best possible parameters.  With that in mind could you all recommend
a good Blue Sky or Morningstar controller or will the one jimindenver linked handle that? 
A SEEKER

You can not combine different wattage panels while using MPPT like you can 12v panels and PWM. In MPPT the controller has to adjust the panels voltage for max output and two panels that have different ratings or even different characteristics in changing light will confuse it. That's why I use the Eco-W's one per panel. I can combine any number of panels on one bank or charge multiple banks at once.

So if you think you want to add in the future, strike a deal and get the panel now. The bigger controllers with more features for two of those panels the Rogue 30a and TS-MPPT-30 by Morningstar come to mind. Between the two I'd go for the Rogue as it is the newer design and made in the USA. I believe it is $375.

Ok, just to be clear I can only fit one panel on my van so if and when I get a 350 watt panel I would probably sale the 225 watt panel.

What controller will work with either panel only 1 at a time?
A SEEKER

A 350w will be above the capabilities of the Eco-w, so it's out. Your choices really are in the 30a range so the same as for two of the original panels. You could go with a Tracer MPPT controller, they are bit less and functional I'm told. I would still think the Rogue or Morningstar would be the best choice for the most features.

Just so you know, a 350w panel will be a 72 cell or 6 ft panel. the one you are looking at now is a 60 cell or 5 ft panel if it makes a difference in roof space.

Ok almost got it.  I am going to look seriously at the Rogue.  Although you are saying 2 different controllers  can feed amps into 1 battery bank at the same time?

I could get by cheaper for now with the Eco-w's for now and do something different later.
A SEEKER

I've used up to three Eco-worthy's on my inverter bank while running heavier loads with the big inverter. I'm rebuilding but my 720w system consisted of two 245w panels and a 230w panel, each with their own controller. Each controller has to have the same set points and this is true even if you are using dissimilar controllers. As long as the set points for float and absorb match you can do it. Turn on a big load like the microwave and each system will lick out 16-17a and over 200w each. Your panel at lower altitude I would expect closer to 14a.

One thing to be aware of is bigger panels can also be much higher voltage, up to 72 volts. So If you are buying a controller with the future in mind be sure it can handle very high voltage. I'd probably buy either a Morningstar, Outback or Midnight Solar from Northern Arizona Wind and Sun. Find them here:

http://www.solar-electric.com/inverters-controllers-accessories/chco.html

Under the right conditions a panel can spike over it's rated voltage and wattage so don't buy "just enough" buy more than you think you need. You'll spend a lot of money for a quality controller so stack the deck in it's favor by under-working it instead of over-working it.

Bob

I didn't recommend this at first because I didn't know you were interested in growing bigger. But you may have a better choice. There is a huge Solar warehouse that has branches in both Miami and Phoenix, and I've bought panels from them in Phoenix. But you are close enough to Miami to drive down there and they have incredible prices on solar. They have numerous 300 watt panels for either ,78 or .75 cents a watt. One of them is a Trina, and I own a Trina 240 watt panel, it's a great panel.

They are huge and deal with business buying by the pallet or truckload, so don't try to deal with them by email, you must call and talk to a human. If you do that, you'll get your best price and it will be fairly easy. They won't sell all of them by the each, but some they will, you have to call to find out.

Here is their webpage, scroll down for examples of prices:

http://sunelec.com/
Bob

As Bob mentioned you can get some really good deals from sunelec, you can also call local solar installers and ask if they can spare a left over panel that wasn't used in an install, often they will have whatever the last popular wattage panel was.

For the charge controller, Rogue or MidNite are the only options as I see it. If Rogue offers something that'll work for you, go with Rogue, awesome guy, great product and he deserves to be supported.

That said, the MidNite is also a US product and if you can get one for the right price I would go for it as you're really future proofing the system and while it's overkill, you'll be happy to have it, the Classic also gives you a battery monitor so you don't have to worry about that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Midnite-Cla...515?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e98bb15c3

That's one on eBay currently at $390, if you can get it within $50 of there I would go for it. I paid $450 shipped for mine on eBay and I love it, I went with the MidNite over the Rogue only because I was feeding it more volts than the Rogue could handle.

Thanks to all for the additional info.  I will definitely be calling Sun Elec to see what they can offer and am also considering buying the MidNite controller.
A SEEKER

Since you may not be looking at a 24v panel, you might see what they offer in 12v panels too. They can be run with a PWM controller that will be considerably less expensive than a MPPT controller even with a reputable name plate. MPPT is better in ways but the improvement wouldn't be the equal to spending the money on a extra panel instead. Just something to think about as there a lot of ways to look at it.

one controller I forgot to mention is the Morningstar 15a MPPT that goes for $225. It would give you all of the features and handle the original panel while still giving you the warm and fuzzys of having a respectable controller.

On controllers, don't take any one opinion as each has it's faults.

The big Morningstar MPPT controllers can be a rean pain to set up and the user interface is out dated, you will be fine as long as you have a computer with a serial connection.

The original Rogue 30a had no reverse polarity protection so one momentary opps and it was a paper weight.

The kid sounds good, especially with the meter built in. The last I read on the solar forums was about them still working out the bugs with firmware updates.

The Eco-w is no exception with a unusual absorb stage, limited Voc abilities and features. Luckily for me it's a breeze to set up.

So before you spend a lot, read up on solar, what it can do for you, how to understand your needs/ wants as well as the conditions you want to be in. That way you will understand why you are buying what you are and know if will do the job for you.

BTW my first two panels, a 220w mono and a 230w poly came from a installer for $50 each. They were brand new grade A with the leads still taped to the backs.

Ok I am going to stick with my original panel 225 watts as the 300's are too long.  I really like the price of the Chinese  Eco Worthy controller.

If I used that controller how would I monitor the batteries.  I have 2 diehard marine AGM's I think they are 68 amp hours each.  The Midnite controller even has a temp sensor that makes it attractive.  If I have to buy another battery monitor to go with the Eco worthy the price might be higher than the Midnite with monitor included.

I have figured my daily amp hours around 50.  Could I hope for the best of going with out a monitor and getting a known full charge every week or 2 on AC?  Guessing state of charge does not seem like the best way to go but how reliable are monitors anyway?

Sorry for so many questions.  I thought I had this all halfway figured out but now that I am ready to pull the trigger my head is spinning trying to make a decision.  I do not want to spend too much but want to get what will work the best and not buy it twice.
A SEEKER

I may have found a good deal on a solar world panel.  It's 285 watts, open circuit voltage 39.7, max power point current 9.20

Can I get buy with the eco-worthy controller or is it just barely adequate?

If not I am also looking at the Kid MidNite controller. 

1. Does the whiz bang Jr. that can be added to the kid monitor in and out amps or only in?

2. Does it tell amp hours remaining in batteries?
A SEEKER

The Eco-w will be fine with that panel.

I know little of the kid and it's monitor. I use a voltmeter and morning resting voltage with my bank.

Latest posts