Worthwhile destinations?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepydogtravels

Reaction score
What wonderful place to go would you recommend? I'll be starting my journey in Florida, making a great clockwise loop around the lower 48. What's a must see in your experience? Maybe even not-so-big stops, such as your favorite bbq joint or a cute country fair?

"Wonderful places" are defined differently by different people. They may describe places where one can volunteer an hour or more at a time: animal shelters where dogs might need a walk, soup kitchens to chop veggies or serve on the line, thrift shops to help in the back, homeless shelters to help clean/tidy up, etc.
They may be churches or cemeteries--rural, forgotten, natural scenic areas, museums to sports or inventions, railroads, rodeos, hot air balloon festivals, etc. Photograph and or paint them!
What are your hobbies, interests?
Check ROADSIDE AMERICA travel tools and guide to unusual attractions, tourist traps, weird vacations, and road trips.
Enjoy!

How long will you be taking for the trip? Big Bend NP in Texas would be a nice place to spend some time and there's lots to see between FL and west Texas.

Most of the nat'l parks out west are pretty awesome but can be crowded sometimes depending on the season.

The existing sections of Route 66 are cool,too.

It'll be about 6 months to start.
National Parks are definitely on the list. Any amazing state parks to recommend? I remember Custer in SD from a childhood trip, but have little knowledge of places west of the Mississippi.
I'm into photography, wildlife, landscapes, and history, but I'm also looking for advice on wide variety of experiences that people zooming through on their way to the next destination might miss.
Volunteering would work for a few hours, but I'll have my dog with me and need to get a sitter.
The only things off the table would be high fees (renting a 4x4 jeep in Moab) or loud drunken parties (just not my thing).
I have a variety of websites and books I'm scouring.

Drive to Wyoming and spend the night in the Red Desert to see the stars. Then drive from Baggs Wyoming to Craig Colorado for dinner. Then continue on the backroads toward northern Arizona, and drive through spectacular Monument Valley before heading to other destinations. While in northern Arizona, I thought Grand Canyon was a special place to stop and hike but never spent more than a day there due to tourists.    ~crofter

Jackson Lake Lodge, Grand Teton National Park. It's got spectacular views of the Grand Tetons through huge panoramic windows. Having an "America the Beautiful" pass makes it free.

The Grand Canyon in northern Arizona, Bryce Canyon in southern Utah, and everything in between the two.

The eastern Sierra on highway 395 in California.

Driving the California coastline: Big Sur, Hearst Castle, etc.

Driving north out of Sun Valley in Idaho. Stunning mountain scenery, glacial lakes, rivers galore. Go all the way to Glacier National Park.

Breath taking.

i like to hit as many farmers markets as i can as i travel.

some interesting spots depending on what interests you may include the new madrid fault, sight of some serrious shaking back in the day. there is a rest area almost right at ground zero with lots of cool info about mid country earthquakes.

i really enjoyed checking out some of the old cities right on the ole Miss with their flood walls and gates. pretty cool to imagine being there when the water in the river is as high as the second story buildings just a stones toss from the flood gates

mammoth caves was a cool area/campground if you have an interest in archaeology and cave dwellings. not to mention cool hard wood forests

the ozark national scenic water way was cool, lots of big springs and history to check out.

i didnt get down there but new orleans might be a draw.

south padre national seashore has amazing boonedocking right on thebeach if you know how to drive on sand

montazuma well and castle in arizona is another

if you are into hot springs, they are scattered all over the west.

Mt saint helens in washington. sight of the 1980 eruption. you can still see scars from the blast almost 40 years ago

the san juan islands north west of puget sound. the Hoh rainforest on the northern coast of washington

i could go on and on. you can never see it all in one trip or even a dozen. i tend to play it by ear. when i get into one area i start asking locals about places. like when i gas up, or check out at the store. locals are often very proud of the sights near by and will give you all sorts of ideas. i have even been invited to stay on some farms or once got invited to a barn dance. you can also post the area you are in or will be in shortly here and on other forums and get more local responses.

Some of the various state sponsored web sites about the natural wonders of the state as well as its parks can be very informative. Also the sites for history in various states. Lots of things happen that don't make it to the wonders of the world list. There are many very find local museums and exhibits. For instance if you are interested in artifacts from ancient peoples of the Soutwest the Heard Museum in Phoenix has a terrific collection. There are cowboy museums, historic ranches, old forts and cowboy art museums in several areas of the west. Museums with old horse drawn vehicles and antique farm equipment too. There are plantations in several states in old south that show what that way of life was like, the houses are the real thing and so is the furniture in them. I myself tend to avoid the kitchy recreated, theme town, roadside attractions that seem to draw many people. I would rather be in touch with real artifacts than faked ones.

But the natural wonders, the geology, bodies of water, the plants and wildlife are the best of what is out there to see.

I just got back from a Rockport/Port Aransas, Texas trip. If you like photographing birds, Aransas National Wildlife Refuge will overwinter whooping cranes. There are none there as of a week ago. The best place for bird photos right now is Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center in Port A. The hurricane swept out half the cattails, all the muck, and most of the nutria. We saw thousands of birds.

Western NY. Old growth forest, tiny lakes, rolling green hills, Victorian and Gothic Victorians in all states of repair and disrepair, an Amish community, Lily Dale ( you can google it) the Chautauqua Institute (ditto) wine country, artists’ communities and little local galleries. Being in the forest at night after a storm and seeing fireflies ( we have them in the Southwest but no lights on them) was one of my great life experiences. So there is nature and culture. Borders Eastern PA which I also love. An hour south of Buffalo and Ontario, Canada where you can take the Maid of the Mist under Niagra Falls.

My favorite places to go are Newport Or. and Silver Creek Falls in Oregon, you can walk behind at least 2 of the falls and see many more if you are up to a walk, but I heard no doggies on the trail?.?. I love the Lake Tahoe area. We love Whidbey Island/Deception Pass in WA. Whale seasons are fun there. I like The Red wood country. And the painted desert in Arizona and there are some places in Arizona where you can see old cliff dwellings. I love the fresh you pick fruit in the Willamette Valley. The Aquarium in Monterey Ca and the one in Newport OR... As you can tell I need to go East a bit more..... The birds around the Skagit River area are wonderful in the spring and fall. Lots of eagles and other birds of pray, seasonal song birds, water birds, as well as year round birds. Vancouver Island is also beautiful and the street performers are fun to watch in Victoria. The wild life further north on Vancouver Island I hear is amazing, but have not gone, yet.