Working for the Forest Service / Federal Government

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blars

Reaction score
This past summer I worked for the Forest Service as a "Forestry Technician (recreation)".  This job is maintaining developed recreation sites -- I spent a lot of times cleaning restrooms (both flush and vault/cxt), picking up trash and emptying trash cans, and driving between sites. (in their pickup) Also included was yard and building maintenance.  Unlike my camp host jobs, there were no questions to answer after hours.

My job was on the Oregon Coast, in the Siuslaw National Forest.  

Federal government jobs are advertised on the site http://usajobs.gov/ .  They have both seasonal and permanent positions, tend to pay well and include vacation/sick leave and medical coverage for over 90 day positions.  Some may include housing, but most don't.  (My boss helped me find a place to stay.)  There are temporary jobs with applications closing soon for jobs next summer.  Frequently they only accept applications for a week or less.

Great information, Blars!

Are you returning next summer?

Yes, would like to return to the same position next year. Until the federal budget is settled, they don't know if the position will exist. If they liked me, they can rehire without considering other people. If the budget extension had not passed in September, I would have been laid off Oct 1. There will be another budget fight in December.

I forgot to mention the hiring process was slow, it was about a month from the application deadline to the phone interview, then another month to process the hiring paperwork.

I'm curious Blars, when you said they found you a place to stay, I assume you mean park? or did you have to stay in an rv park area?

I also work seasonally but for the National Park Service. A lot of times the more isolated locations, ones with no cell phone or internet, have little in the way of housing so positions are hard to fill. NPS will hand those jobs off to the concessionaire and they will provide a camping site, or the park service will use a volunteer and pay for the site and possibly per diem. The best way to get acquainted with the people who hire is to volunteer or work for the concessionaire and volunteer on your days off with the NPS. The way the system is set up now it really helps to be a vet, or in school but occasionally if you have your own housing, and you have been in the area for a certain amount of time they can do a local hire. They are always changing rules about rehires so sometimes positions open up. A lot of times after months of interviews, background checks, and paper work the new hire won't show up or takes another job in the months it took to get all this done. Pay is usually good but getting to store is expensive so consider that before accepting a position.

Worst part about government jobs. Uncertainty of the future in jobs, even with unions. You know UPS will always have seasonal jobs, though (example of business vs govt). I workat the post office currently. Its definitely government run ;)

If you are interested in volunteer positions, the web site is http://volunteer.gov/
Volunteers for the Forest Service where I was got full hookup sites with propane for about 20 hours/week.

On http://usajobs.gov/ the GS numbers are the pay grade, higher numbers require more and more specialized experience.

The problem with these Government jobs is they only want vets,or educated people. I am either.

Sent from my RCT6773W22 using Tapatalk

cap1961 said:
The problem with these Government jobs is they only want vets,or educated people. I am neither.

cap1961 said:

they do tend to put alot of credence in a piece of paper )  most of the educated people I have met,  have loads of life experience.. those with the paper in many cases seem to compartmentalized )

cap1961 said:
The problem with these Government jobs is they only want vets,or educated people. I am neither.

I'm hoping this doesn't offend you . . .

I gather you're on disability.  Have you checked with the Forest Service to see if you might be eligible to be hired under a special program?

No I did not know of any special programs for the disabled.. How do you find out?

I went to your link and applied for the usajobs and found nothing in my area. I am uneducated so I don't qualify for any of there programs.

cap1961 said:
I went to your link and applied for the usajobs and found nothing in my area.
Many positions are open for applications for a week or less. You can set up usajobs to email you when there is an opening that meets your criteria. If you have the proper experience, many positions don't require more than high-school. Lower GS numbers require and pay less.

cap1961 said:
I went to your link and applied for the usajobs and found nothing in my area. I am uneducated so I don't qualify for any of there programs.

If I were in your place, I believe I would contact a few of the Selective Placement Program Coordinators mentioned on that website.  It's their job to place as many disabled people as possible in jobs.  I wouldn't give up until several of them told me it just wasn't going to work.

Good luck, anyway.