Working for Temp agencies

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldminer

Reaction score
Hello to all:
     I thought I would post a description of my experiences working for some of the staffing firms (or temp agencies as they are often called) as some of us earn money this way on the road. I worked for two of the firms Labor Finders and Manpower since 2013. Labor Finders has offices mostly in the southern US while Manpower is more nationwide. There are large numbers of these firms as the labor market has become more short term with reduced or no benefits. 
     My work at Labor Finders office here in Louisiana consisted mostly of construction site cleanup, laying sod, weeding, installing landscaping, unloading trucks, painting curbs, digging ditches, flagging, fill and backfill of foundations, demolition, stocking, moving office records and furniture, installing silt fences, and generally heavy labor. To start there you must fill out the usual paperwork with the office before you can begin working and provide an ID and SS#. The company opens  at 6:00 AM, you sign in and wait in the office until called. Work is supposed to be assigned on a first come first served basis. Not everyone got a job each day;having a car made a difference as not every one who came had one - they had to pay $5.00 to be taken to a jobsite. Pay was usually about $9.00/ hour and was paid at the end of the day by check when you turned in your time sheet signed by the supervisor. Sometimes you would get a repeat ticket and be able to go to the same workplace for 2 or more days which was good as you didnt have to figure out how to get to different locations each day- Google maps are often wrong. I got work about 60% of the time I showed up here.
      My work with Manpower was as a packer, subcontracting for DHL, at a large local warehouse on second shift which began at 4:00 PM. My job involved moving coffee for packaging and reshipment. Pay was $9.00 an hour and was paid to a card (my choice, they have direct deposit). The work was fairly hard and management did not treat their workers well. Many nights we would finish early and get sent home so I often did not get a full week which was supposed to be 37.5 hours. Turnover was high.....I finally left after seven months when I found myself doing the work of 3 people.
     I signed up with a local office of Express Employment Professionals (national chain) after leaving Manpower but never heard from them so I cant tell you anything about them. 
I am going to try a couple other firms in the area: Flexicrew, People Ready (formerly Labor Ready), Advantage Resources, Lofton, and perhaps any others I can find although that is probably most of them around here and will report my experiences with them in the future. Would be glad to hear from others about being a temp.   Regards to all........the oldminer.

I am currently working for a company called Aerotek. They are a staffing agency for Engineers and Project Managers. I know that sometimes they fill other types of positions but it was explained to me that is their focus.

I work as a Project Manager assigned to a manufacturing facility. It was originally for a 3 month project. After that project was complete I accepted a 6 month project at the same location. They pay is well above decent. Hours are good and I enjoy the work.

I sold my main business just a little over a year ago. I decided to go with Aerotek because they have assignments all over the country and allot of them are management or engineering positions. I still have a couple more years till the last kid is done with high school. When I do get to travel more I intend to stay with Aerotek and use them to find work as I move around.

mr_elijah_gardner said:
I am currently working for a company called Aerotek. They are a staffing agency for Engineers and Project Managers. I know that sometimes they fill other types of positions but it was explained to me that is their focus.

I work as a Project Manager assigned to a manufacturing facility. It was originally for a 3 month project. After that project was complete I accepted a 6 month project at the same location. They pay is well above decent. Hours are good and I enjoy the work.

I sold my main business just a little over a year ago. I decided to go with Aerotek because they have assignments all over the country and allot of them are management or engineering positions. I still have a couple more years till the last kid is done with high school. When I do get to travel more I intend to stay with Aerotek and use them to find work as I move around.

Hello:
    I was an engineer although my specialty is not in demand so I had to give up on it years ago. Temping can include better jobs such as you describe and also the ability to relocate to where there might be work in your field.  Thanks for sharing your experience.....the oldminer