Wood to Foamie

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you need thickness you can glue layers together as it should all be encased with a coating of Poor Man's Fiberglass (PMF). It is a very different method of construction and definitely more messy, I don't think I own a shirt without some glue or paint on it. I always recommend you start with small test pieces to see what works for you but my first project I committed to was a vardo type 80" x 80" x 6' camper. I had my doubts but because it was a big investment for me of time and money I had to learn how to make it work. Fortunately there are lot of good resources out there with the internet. Not everything turned out the way I expected or wanted but it worked well and has been super easy to repair and change. There is a learning curve but the results are pretty amazing and have been well worth it for me. Unlike many manufactured RVs these are light weight and won't fall apart going down a dirt road and costs are a 20% of any other alternative.

you are correct, and I do wish I listened to you a little before committing myself to my cabinets..
Are my cabinets fully encased? No they are not

That said, with the results I am getting with my second cabinet, I am much happier.. I did not use the PPG gripper paint.. I only used tight bond and screening.. When I have the second cabinet complete I am confident it will be more structurally sound than the first one.. Down the road I may reconstruct the first one.. that is certainly a possibility.. But as of now, it is functional.. and I imagine it will be until it's not :)

for me thickness reduces the amount of space I will have in the end.. which is why I went with the 1/2 inch XPS.. the tight bond, puts a hard shell onto the surface and also greatly reduces the flexibility of the foam..

It should sand easy enough too if you wanted to add some contour to a piece.

Before PML, I'd suspect it would be better to peel off the plastic sheathing that comes on it. Aside from making it easier to cut with a blade, you wouldn't have to worry about it delaminating from the foam and have your screen right on it.

When I mentioned fiberglassing in my Previous post, I meant essentially what's being done with the screen and paint except using a fiberglass cloth and foam safe epoxy just to laminate with a lot more durability than the screen. May be worthwhile for some pieces.

Well everyone hit a milestone today, Cabinets are finally done.. and yes they look different.. Why? because I used to different processes..

the first one was done with gripper primer and screen first, then tight bond glue and painters canvas cloth.. 
(I would not do this again, I do not like how it turn out.. and I may re do it in the future)

The second one was covered with screen and tight bond using contractors gorilla caulking in the corners there are two layers of screen and tight bond.. 
(I liked how this turned out much better, it seem to be just as strong, and it lighter)

So I will be posting a video with a product list with tips and suggestions if you are also so inclined to do a foamy build..

What do I have left to do?? some wiring, finish the bed and the kitchen area.. then I will hopefully be ready to hit the road.. Solar, batteries, things of that nature will be done in the future.. But I have planned for them

Attachments

• 20210610_130041.jpg
    20210610_130041.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210610_130044.jpg
    20210610_130044.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 15
Looking really good! You have made some progress for sure. Completely covering the foam will make it super strong no mater what you use but the cloth does shrink and the tension helps but it only needs to be strong enough for your needs and look good enough to suit you. You can add wood where needed or completely coated with TightBond glue materials like cardboard as it waterproofs it. In my case an easily cleanable water based exterior acrylic enamel semi gloss house paint worked well but again I am a more function over form type person.

yeah very cool. We are going to want a report after it's been in use for awhile, LOL. Highdesertranger

A great thing about using foam is if you find out it isn't strong enough for your needs yet you like the design, you can use the foam pieces as patterns.