Wood to Foamie

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott3569

Reaction score
Hey guys, Most of the day today I was on the road, needed to get the correct materials for the next stage of my build..

1. you guys are getting the very first sneak peak before I post a video on youtube.

2. I only put about an hour into it so far.. 

Now obviously I still have a ways to go to get something solid to work with.. 
Here are my first observations

1. SOOOOO Much easier to work with and profile things out than wood

2.I do have a hot wire knife., I did not use that with what I have done today. All I used was a utility knife. I am working with 1/2 foam board, if I was working with anything thinker, I would have used the Hot knife. and as you can see in the photo
in roughly an hour, I have a great start in having a frame on one side for storage.. 

3.I am 80% sure if I had done this with wood, I would not have gotten this far in an hour.. 
in fact, I have been struggling with this part for over a week.. 

4. With what I have now, I can clearly see how things are going to look when I am done.. 
It also gives me a much better visual for what I need to next.. 

Next I will create a shelf at the height that it is at now.. 

I will then build up from there.

I am now thinking this would make it real easy, to leave the back portion of my window uncovered so that I am able to open the window for some exhaust ventilation.

Yes, this stuff needs to be made so that is is more study and strong. which will probably be the most time consuming. That's what I am thinking anyway.

In the end, I am happy with what I was able to do in roughly an hour..

Thank you Bullfrog

Attachments

• 20210512_174529.jpg
    20210512_174529.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 43
Don't thank me yet! Hope you end up with something light weight and usable. I'm really happy with my results and my bank account is too! If I have learned anything working with this method it is "Results may vary!".

Don't feel silly reinforcing with things like thin wooden pieces like paint sticks, bamboo curtains or paper towel tubes filled with spray foam then glue or PMF. Using a hole saw in a drill you can make thin 1/4" plywood inserts that can be glued into perfect fitting carved out depressions in the foam to secure the panels or braces with screws if necessary but some simply use nylon wire ties. Some have epoxyed heavy duty velcro to the metal of the van and back of the panels. The more people experiment the better the method works! Thanks for the pictures!

Scott3569 said:
...I do have a hot wire knife., I did not use that with what I have done today. All I used was a utility knife. I am working with 1/2 foam board, if I was working with anything thinker, I would have used the Hot knife...

Some people use hacksaw blades or reciprocating saw blades, sometimes with a little duct tape wrapped around it for a "handle."

The nice part about melting foam is it leaves an almost factory smooth edge and no dust. Sanding to size works really well but boy what a mess even with a vacuum near by. A piece of welding wire, some PVC and a charger with a variable resistor or old toy electric train transformer you can make cutting tools. Many use low heat settings and make perfect vertical cuts by hanging the hotwire and letting gravity make the cut in the standing foam sheets instead of guides and trolley mounted hot knives.

@bullfrog

yeah I am not worried about using different material, I will need to add some wood supports no doubt so that I can attach it to the van.

I would imagine results can be different, but is that not true with almost anything?

I will post my progress later with how things go today.

Can't wait. It is always interesting to see how people solve problems as everybody is different! Glad the first day went well!

Second Day Update:

Well I did not get as much time to work on it today.. Still I made some good progress..

In the first photo. I am just laying out the box for my ventilation fans (4 high volume computer case fans). I will then make a duct system to get air flow into the sleeping area

in the second photo, this is the area where the fans will go..

tomorrow I am visioning, having most of that side put together.. We will see how it goes though..

Attachments

• 20210513_195352.jpg
    20210513_195352.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210513_195401.jpg
    20210513_195401.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 21
looking good! You can use toothpicks or stewer sticks like big pins to temporarly hold pieces in place as well.

Hey all, 

Didn't get a chance to post updates from yesterday, making good progress though.. 

the most difficult wall is almost ready.. Most of it is done.. 

I just need to figure out how I am going to run some wires, and an air duct system on the back side of it. 

I have been using gorilla glue silicone to glue the foam together.. which is working out great.. it sets up pretty quick, and when I first stick the pieces together, they stay in place.. 

the most time consuming part of this will be finishing it, with the screen..

I tested two pieces yesterday

1 layer of tight bond 3
screen

allowed it to dry
then another layer of tight bond. 

these are not critical pieces they where just the compartment panels for my fans..

any questions or comments are welcome.

I will be posting a video soon..

Attachments

• 20210515_140656.jpg
    20210515_140656.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210515_140712.jpg
    20210515_140712.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210514_170738.jpg
    20210514_170738.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 15
Here is the link to the video on youtube if anyone is interested.

Yesterday, the more I accomplished, the more I found that needed to be done..

I am hoping to complete the first cabinet today, so that I can start applying the screen to make it strong..

there are certainly a few things I wished I had done different..

How ever, the Cabinet I am currently working on is the most difficult one.. the other side will and should be less complicated

So close, yet I feel like it is so far away from being done with this one cabinet. 

I have just 3 more areas I need to finish.. 

As you can see the back side looks like a confusing mess

I decided to repurpose the rear vents from the van( small oval shaped holes) 

I tested the air flow of the 4 computer case fans, I was quite surprised how much air they push, and I had already planed the addition of a 12v fan or two for some exhaust in the front of the vehicle through the front side windows. 

Needed to relocate the speaker, and I will need to do that on the other side also. 

As you can see I have a few gaps I need to take care of.. 

All in all, I have happy with the progress to this point...

Attachments

• 20210517_154945.jpg
    20210517_154945.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210518_100747.jpg
    20210518_100747.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210518_100801.jpg
    20210518_100801.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 14
Hello all, Sorry I have not posted any updates here for a little while. I have been in the process of covering and making my first cabinet more durable..

and although there are a few small details I need to finish on it, I am calling it done for now. eventually I will make it more pleasing to the eye's. But the way it is at the moment I believe it is  functional and will serve it's purpose.

I am now getting ready to start the second cabinet, and I am doing things a little different on the second one that I failed to do on the first one..

I certainly learned some things from the first cabinet that I will be sharing if this is something that you want to consider doing yourself..

many of the videos I have seen using XPS insulation, they do not give you many details, My videos I hope will give you as many details as I possibility am able to, to give you a good base to start if you choose to do this also.

I will also being giving you the mistakes I made which is something many videos on youtube do not give you. 

I will show and explain the differences in my next video on youtube.. (part8)

Also, here is some of my opinions..

-it is certainly cheaper than using lumber
-I believe the XPS foam is easier to work with than lumber
-if needed in the future, I believe it will be easy to repair if the need arises
-I prefer tight bond over the PPG gripper primer(purchased a gallon each)
tight bond was cheaper, and when it is dry it has a much more durable surface

Attachments

• 20210530_090506.jpg
    20210530_090506.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210530_090528.jpg
    20210530_090528.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 7
Pretty cool, good thinking!
Gives me a couple ideas...
I need to make a center console for my van, thinking I'll try something like this. If it comes out good enough I'll fiberglass it.
What'll you use to finish/coat it?

I am also considering doing a center console between the front seats. I took out the factory one. and I am thinking I could make a cooler in between the front seats..  

I looked in to fiberglass, but it is expensive, and honestly there would not be a need.. 

BTW this is not an original idea..  bullfrog from here first told me about it, I watched a few videos, and decided to jump in with both feet.. 
the first cabinet was certainly a learning process.. and I am 100% positive the second cabinet will come out better, stronger and more durable. 

My ultimate final coat will be something creative and more pleasing to the eye.. 
I am watched videos on making brown paper bags look like suede leather.. I am considering that. But I am yet to have decided 100%

I see now, I found a few videos on the technique.
I've never seen such before, I have seen people use it to make molds for RC boats and car bodies back in my radio control days.

I'm digging it, very easy to work with while getting good results.

@Uncle Todo

Before you commit to anything, I suggest you buy a sheet I think you can get partial sheets, and test the application process yourself..

yes in many was it is easy to work with.. But there is certainly things you should learn before committing to it like I did.

when I am done with my next video on this, I will post a link here..

I'll definitely be following your progress on this, but my ambitions are much smaller, just a console/doghouse cover on my Astro van. Maybe a little dash work too as my idea expands lol.
Lowes has 1/4" foam I'd love to try but it's a 4' x 50'! A wee bit more than I'd need, I'll have to see if they have a broken piece.
I do have some leftover 1/2" I can play with for now. I'd bought a sheet to cut into strips for the floor of my van between the ribs.

I am using 1/2 inch.. just be sure is is the XPS green or pink.. I am sure there are other colors.. but I tried some that was coated on both sides and that did not work well.. so I put that in the roof :)