Wood or Metal [split from Too many good ideas]

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watson

Reaction score
I'm just getting into van camping and I've got a question for those who have the experience. I see all these different builds for beds out of wood. That seems like it would add a lot of weight. Wouldn't it be simpler to go with a metal frame? Granted you may have to cut it down and weld it back together and you'd most like have to add to the legs but it seems it would be lighter, an easier build and potentially cheaper with what places like Big Lots sells the single frame for. Any comments would be appreciated before I get too far down that road.

Most people find it a lot easier to work wood than metal.  Very few people can weld.

A wood frame bed doesn't necessarily have to be heavy!

A lot of people over engineer their bed frames. My first bed frame back in 1975 was built with nothing less than 2x4's on 16" centers with 1" plywood for the top.

My last bed frame is built with 1/2" plywood stood on it's side and a 3/4" plywood top so that it won't warp.

Ok, the first one would withstand an energetic young couple doing all kinds of gymnastics on it. The newest one...well, I'm much older now so no gymnastics are likely.... :D 

The easy part about using wood, aside from not needing welding skills, is the ability to go around obstacles like wheel wells and silly things that jut out from the walls of the van. Also you can taper things to conform to the curve of the walls etc.

When I first started my build, I built the lightest wood bed platform that I could imagine - using only 2x3 lumber and 1/4" Luan.

Then I got disappointed on how heavy it still was, and ended up buying a steel wire frame off of amazon that was half the weight, more rigid, better ventilated and more attractive.  You can see by build log for comparison of my light weight wood platform and the welded steel wire.  There was simply no comparison - in fact, I believe that the Amazon-purchased one may have even been cheaper than my attempt to build a light-weight wood frame.  Link below has the details:

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-ViaVacavi-adventure-vehicle-build-log?pid=201968#pid201968

I think where wood really would win would be for those of us that want some kind of folding or convertible bed. I've already designed one that would meet my needs that's based off of the slatted one seen on here in at least a couple of builds. You only have to be sort of handy with the usual tools to put together a wooden convertible where it would require some skill for a metal one.  If I didn't have the requirements that I'm choosing then if I could find a metal pre-fabbed bed that would fit I'd be all for it as I don't want to build anything myself if I don't have to.  :p

ETA: Subject to any situation changes before I get to build out a van.

On my 2nd van build, I actually merged the two.  I liked the welded wire top of the bed in the first build so much, another one was ordered.  However, due to the different layout of the 2nd van (and different dimensions of the van due to it being a Chevy instead of a Dodge), I had to modify purchased bed frame.  The end result merges a simple lumber support frame, with the welded wire platform on top.  I made a simple double-hinge from some angle iron, and now each side can be lifted independently to access storage below, or even prop up for upright seating.

[img=640x853]http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/...avi/IMG_20160808_105526_zpsvnuzfb4m.jpg[/img]
First, a simple frame was made using inexpensive 2x3 and 3/4" "white wood" boardstock, which when then stained and polyurethaned

[img=640x480]http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/...avi/IMG_20160808_154146_zpsxoqeymux.jpg[/img]
Here is the simple double-hinge that was made from angle iron.  The original metal bed frame was already made to fold inward (the opposite way we needed) for storage.
After cutting off the metal legs, the wire frame platform was flipped upside down and bolted to the double hinge pieces on each side.

[img=640x853]http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/...avi/IMG_20160808_154024_zpsjyugpsje.jpg[/img]
The end result is a nice looking, light weight bed frame setup

[img=640x853]http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/...avi/IMG_20160808_154001_zpsbai4n9rk.jpg[/img]

[img=640x853]http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/...avi/IMG_20160808_154014_zpsuhfxrzst.jpg[/img]
And each side can flip up independently.

I found that this was a good technique that leveraged the strength, light weight and breathability of the welded steel wire platform, while also leveraging how easy and quick it is to work with wood.

ViaVacavi, that's awesome! :D I don't remember seeing those pictures in your build thread and I thought I'd read it all.  It really gives nice access to the storage underneath.

The folding or convertible I'm talking about is for being able to pull it out for a wider bed width similar to futon couches---during the day the mattress folds and the slats slide back for a couch and then at bedtime it pulls out to a wider bed. That's one of the ways for a wood convertible. I wish I could think who has something like it but I'm drawing a blank right now.

anewbiewannabe said:
ViaVacavi, that's awesome! :D I don't remember seeing those pictures in your build thread and I thought I'd read it all.  It really gives nice access to the storage underneath.

The folding or convertible I'm talking about is for being able to pull it out for a wider bed width similar to futon couches---during the day the mattress folds and the slats slide back for a couch and then at bedtime it pulls out to a wider bed. That's one of the ways for a wood convertible. I wish I could think who has something like it but I'm drawing a blank right now.

Yeah, I think I know the style you're talking about.  I like them as well, but I would imagine they are pretty heavy, as the entire top is basically 2x4 lumber in the ones I've seen (well, 50% of the surface while extended).  I wonder if anyone has weighed one?

Oh, regarding the bed pictures above.  I actually took on a 2nd build a couple of months ago that bed went to, so those pictures aren't in the build log.  I may share details of that build on here as well once things slow down a bit

I use a store-bought (online-bought, actually) steel twin bed frame, lengthwise in the van. Exactly the right height for bins to slide under.

ViaVacavi said:
Yeah, I think I know the style you're talking about.  I like them as well, but I would imagine they are pretty heavy, as the entire top is basically 2x4 lumber in the ones I've seen (well, 50% of the surface while extended).  I wonder if anyone has weighed one?

The ones I'm thinking of are either 2x2 or 1x1 pine so with the spacing and everything it shouldn't be too heavy. I think 2x4 is overkill unless it's not just for sleeping. :p I've built gardening structures out of both and they aren't so heavy that I can't lift them. Since the depth profile would be shorter on the slat beds then top access wouldn't be necessary unless by choice. I try to come up with solutions for me based on my own strengths and weaknesses.

Ah, that 2nd build, now at least I know I didn't forget! :D Where did you find the 2 piece frame? Did it come with the hinges? I'm sure something like that would be handy for someone else. :)

MrNoodly said:
I use a store-bought (online-bought, actually) steel twin bed frame, lengthwise in the van. Exactly the right height for bins to slide under.

Do you like the brand you bought? Would you recommend it?

anewbiewannabe said:
Do you like the brand you bought? Would you recommend it?

No complaints. I wouldn't know how to recommend it since I don't remember who I bought it from.

Here is the one I've used in two builds now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006MIPW70/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

over 11,000 reviews @ 4.5 out of 5 stars. I'd recommend it to anyone.  It's light, strong, rigid, and allows for amazing ventilation of the mattress.  It also sits up high enough to fit four 58 quart totes under (12.25" tall totes) (actually it will fit 6 totes if you turn two of them sideways)

All I did was 1/2" plywood over 2x2 redwood with an Ikea futon mattress I cut in half to fit. EZ, super cozy, strong, and flexible should I need to make "changes"...

123tcti.jpg

I am thinking about redoing the interior of a van conversion that i bought. I was also considering making the framework for interior cabinets out of metal studs and track used for interior house walls. a pair of tin snips, a drill and some rivets, ( I know how to use steel tinners rivets, so they won't loosen up).

How about taking a hollywood frame, building it in to a fold-able system that would hinge up to the sidewall? You could still haul stuff, but it would need cleared out before using the bed again.

14748637541161690983376.jpg14748636897471599021180.jpg
On my first version I did an all wood interior. Cost a fortune using all the fasteners and I bought sooo much wood. 
Then, I decided to build this version after an experimental version tring differentry bed locations. I used 1 inch , 16ga square tubing. Sooo much cheaper....though you do need a welder.
I can't imagine not having a van or a welder..lol

Attachments

• 14748636897471599021180.jpg
    14748636897471599021180.jpg
    2 MB
  • 14748637541161690983376.jpg
    14748637541161690983376.jpg
    1.6 MB
I use a steel twin extra long bed frame straight from the store. The legs are 12" high, so containers slide right under it. So, unless you want to go with a bed that's nonstandard dimensions, steel frames are available readymade.

I built my bed out of 1x2 for the frame and half inch plywood for the top. Year and a half old and no problems. Strong as can be for 2 people. It's 3ft x 6 ft with the capability of making it 4ft x 6 ft when  a 2nd person comes along.