Women's Forum: Solo Mom Intro

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickadeeJP

Reaction score
Hello! I am Jenn and I have a 4yo son and a 12+yo cat. I bought a 1986 25ft Southwind Class A a year ago but haven't made it on the road yet. I am having some mechanical issues as well as not making enough money to feel ready to head out. Though I love my RV, I am having some second thoughts and wishing I had learned about van living before I'd made this purchase. We haven't even been able to camp in it yet! One of the reasons I purchased the size RV I did is that I want to be able to have a separate sleeping space for my son, a toilet, running water, electricity, and kitchen. I had two doctors and a busy body make allegations against me to CPS, my name was cleared, but the stress of that still weighs on me. I like the security of being in an RV for that purpose but keeping it going, cost of gas, and lack of stealth camping options makes me wonder if I could make this happen better/faster with a van. Anyway, I am considering tent camping via car this summer in order to be able to source more books for my Amazon used book business. I am currently in Michigan and want to make it to St Paul, MN to visit a friend. The plan is to acquire some gear (tent, camp stove at the least), plot a route of cities with thrift stores and book sales, and spend a night or two camping in each area. I mostly just want to say hello, but am open to thoughts, suggestions, and experience.

Hi Jenn, and welcome! I'm not a mom so don't have much insight to offer in areas related to that. I will say I grew up tent camping for a month at a time or more and we had a ball! You meet some really nice people and your son would get to be outside all the time, just like we all used t when we were kids.

I can see why you liked the idea of an RV, they're a nice comfy choice for longer travel, hopefully you can get it fixed up and give it a go too at some point.

Hi Jenn.  I've read your other threads here and understand the mechanical problems angst.  I am solo and have done the van thing and the RV thing, a few times with a grandchild for a few days.  If it were me, I would keep the RV, get it up to working order and go with that. The cost of gas will still be way less than another rig, which will eventually have its own problems anyway.  And "stealth" is overrated.  Besides, you need to do everything legal or risk your child's well being also.

With a child on board, the extra space will make both of your lives easier, especially in inclement weather.  And the extra gear required will push van space past the limit.

I know van living sounds so romantic but trust me, I loved my van, but if I had a child I would stay with the RV.

Just my opinion.  Best wishes and positive thoughts your way.

Hi Jenn, and welcome!
There are a few of us here in Michigan.  What part of the state are you in?

Queen said:
get to be outside all the time, just like we all used t when we were kids.

Exactly why I want to be in an RV! We both love being outside. We have done a few camping trips together, but all at a music festival where we also had access to a kitchen and bathroom. The first one was at 9 weeks old, which was crazy because I was still waddling and barely recovered. I hope that camping solo with him with no amenities will be a good experience. With visiting friends, we can get some breaks from it and be able to shower/bathe better.

Stargazer said:
With a child on board, the extra space will make both of your lives easier, especially in inclement weather.  And the extra gear required will push van space past the limit.

Thank you for this perspective. I completely agree and that's why I was looking for 20-25ft. I think that pre-kid part of me loves the idea of the van life. I am heading to Walmart soon to check prices on camping gear and get some ideas of what to look for. Aldi has a tent, hammock with stand, and hanging tent fan/light for sale this weekend that I am eyeing but want to compare prices and quality. I haven't made it to my storage place yet to work on the things that were suggested in my welcome post.