Women's Forum: Question for the crafty artsy type

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travelingchic

Reaction score
I am in the middle of downsizing my stuff to head out on the road again. &nbsp;My parent's luckily have two rooms in the basement that I have either stored or lived in between my travels for years now. &nbsp;When I leave it usually is with just a suitcase in hand and all the other things I can live without are stored in boxes or in cupboards for easy access for when I get back. &nbsp;I use one room for my bedroom and the other is storage / computer / crafts. &nbsp;<br><br>Over the years I have made efforts to downsize but I always found it overwhelming and just easy enough to shrug off the task because my parents aren't going anywhere. &nbsp;<br><br>So here I am again wanting to downsize. &nbsp;I don't know why I feel the urge but I do. &nbsp;However, over the years I have picked many different crafts to start up. &nbsp;Like; knitting, crocheting, beading, art journaling, scrapbooking, paper crafting, pottery, and the list goes on. &nbsp;<br><br>So ladies my question to you is how do you choose just one craft? &nbsp;The more important question is how to keep to your decision of that one craft! lol. &nbsp;Since I can easily persuade myself to try out new ones. &nbsp;<br><br>As you all probably know most crafts require tools and materials that can take up a good chunk of space. &nbsp;When I left last time I just took my beading stuff since I was hoping to sell it along the way but that didn't pan out and I took an art journaling kit with me. &nbsp; <br><br>Am I crazy to want to get rid of craft materials that I paid my hard earned money for? &nbsp;See I am already trying to talk myself out of it. lol. &nbsp;<br><br>I have already got three bags of clothes ready for donation which was easy but when it comes to my precious craft materials it's so hard.<br><br>Thanks for reading / listening and I appreciate any input you have whether it's advice or insight on your own journey for downsizing.

A few years ago, I took up scrapbooking.&nbsp; My goal was to put together several albums to get&nbsp;my hundreds of pictures in one organized, attractive place.&nbsp; It was a great plan, but life got in the way and before I knew it, I had become a scrapbook hoarder.&nbsp; I put many, many small albums, die cuts, and packs of paper out on a table at a yard sale.&nbsp; They sold fast!&nbsp; In fact, a few women came back later to see if I had anything left.&nbsp; Granted, I sold it for pennies on the dollar, but it is out of my house.&nbsp; I kept what I thought was a reasonable amount of materials.<br><br>Now I try and live by the "one in, one out" rule.&nbsp; If I bring something new in, I must send something old to trash, charity, or yard sale.&nbsp; So far, that is working for me.&nbsp; Good luck!

That is indeed a good rule to live by. &nbsp;"One in, one out". &nbsp;I like it. <br><br>After spending so much money on a craft it seems like such a waste to let it go. &nbsp;But then it's nice to pass it along to those who will enjoy the materials and brighten their day or help out a charity through giving it to a second hand store. &nbsp;<br><br>Yes, that hoarding mentality certainly comes to play with crafts. &nbsp;&nbsp;

Knitting and crocheting are my favorite take along crafts. &nbsp;I bought one of these a couple of years ago and love it! &nbsp;<a href="http://www.amazon.com/arts-crafts-sewing/dp/B002PI4ZKQ" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.amazon.com/arts-crafts-sewing/dp/B002PI4ZKQ</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>I take a supported spinning spindle for spinning which takes up very little room. &nbsp;I mostly make my handspun yarn into hats or socks, so I mainly use double pointed knitting needles, which again, take up very little room. &nbsp;When I can find sales on baby weight yarn I knit hats for preemie babies and donate to Newborns in Need. &nbsp;<br><br>When I'm in Mexico I will often pick up the materials to make a tortilla cover. &nbsp;It is a durable piece of fabric with a pattern drawn onto it that women embroider and use to wrap tortillas in. &nbsp;Embroidery hoop, needle, thread and a small pair of scissors. &nbsp;Takes up very little room and it's great for sitting under a shade in the town square and working on. &nbsp;Great conversation starter as well.<br><br>I enjoy nature crafts as well and the materials for that are all around us. &nbsp;I am constantly checking out briars, vines and tough plants to see if they are suitable for making baskets. &nbsp;When I am in the mood to do some fabric weaving, I gather straight branches, do a bit of whittling and set up a primitive loom. &nbsp;I enjoy teaching these skills as well and I'm always looking for 'new' primitive crafts I can pass along.<br><br>I guess my criteria for taking along a craft would be the amount of room it takes up. &nbsp;It it takes up more space than a normal sized shoe box I'd have to pass.

I won't choose, so I have an RV storage unit that I am currently using that allows me to access my boxes (up on shelving units) and off season clothing.

I suspect a difference for someone like dhawk is that she is actively using most of what she stores during the course of a few months or during the year?

The OP has noticed that she has so much, she does not do much with any of it -- if I understand correctly.

I think it is much like getting rid of great clothing that no longer fits or is not needed (like when I go to dump all my 'corporate clothes' years ago). You know they are nice and you paid a good penny...BUT that was another time, another lifestyle. The stuff holds NO value if it is holding you down. If it feels like a weight of wasted time, energy and money to have collected more than you will use, then just looking at it probably is a bit depressing. So lighten up... and, yes, perhaps help others who can still benefit from what you truly will not use.

WriterMs said:
<snip>If it feels like a weight of wasted time, energy and money to have collected more than you will use, then just looking at it probably is a bit depressing.  So lighten up... and, yes, perhaps help others who can still benefit from what you truly will not use.

Indeed! I often 'rescue' tools and such from yard sales and pass them on to folks who can use them but can't afford to get one for themselves. Especially with older sewing machines, I am always looking for a particular set of capabilities. If I find an interesting one at a sale, I'll get it, evaluate it, then pass on whichever I chose to let go to another.

The nature of the art/crafting that I do means that I stockpile some things that I find at a really good price/quantity because I have found that the item is often no longer available when I need it again (miniature sewing trims, german rhinestones, brass bits, antique kimono and sari fabrics, etc.). While I am fine with starting out leaving most of my stuff in semi-storage, I'll ultimately want a 'homestead home base' where I can set up a studio to return to each year.

Yeah, I am in the process of downsizing all my "stuff"! I am doing it on eBay (maybe Bonanza, it the uploader works), and half.com books. I have many crafty supplies which I want to bundle and post there for sale.

Q: I have a very specific question for craft/art ists:
"Where do you get your cards, or other stuff printed? Kinkos, or some other site?"

I have been looking at several services, and haven't decided yet...
This site has cute T shirts and schwag that you can print your designs, and sell the stuff; just an idea:

http://www.spreadshirt.com/start-selling-shirts-C3598

I used to do all my own on my printer since I didn't need a large supply.

Once I wanted a professionally done card and other stuff matching, I went to Vistaprint.com

They were quick and inexpensive and you do your own layout.

I have got rid of everything except my yarn for crocheting and I still have my card making program on my computer since I still have my printer. I crochet hats for the homeless and I make my own cards & that is all the crafting I am doing.

I wish i could just easily answer this, but I cannot.  Many of us don't have mommies and daddies to get help from, not ever, not even since childhood  PLEASE, just strengthen yourself and figure out how to buy a storage space, sell it, rent from a friend, etc.  I am an artist.  I have most times never had anyone to help me at all, in my whole life.  If you want to be strong then please DO IT WITHOUT PARENTS, and that means many things.  DON'T USE THEIR SPACE.  I am not being mean, on the contrary.  They won't be here forever.  When it comes to more complicated things like fixing electrical answers, this is a great forum to find help, but you need to become independent in as many ways as you possibly can.  Don't think of me as mean, as I am trying to help you.

My arts and craft supplies take up a large portion of the small space I live in but that is a choice I can live with. I make extra money by selling on Etsy, most of my gifts are homemade, and I just refuse to give up doing what I enjoy. Maybe you can choose the crafts that don't require as much space or simply pare down to the bare minimum those that do. My sewing machine is the largest hobby item I own but I found room for it even when I was in a van. I just factored a space under the bed for it when I designed my layout. Life is meant to be enjoyed and I hate to see anybody give up something they love doing.

Hi There,

I too have a storage room that I need to downsize.  It have a fancy sewing machine, lots of material, glues, sea shells. Just made some curtains with duck cloth for this van. I learned there are two types of canvas.  Also put my engraved name at bottom (upside down), a mistake.  It would not move in the rod, the material was too thick.  Had to devise something, so made some leather attachments in the back of the rod insert.

Now I'm wondering if I should make some for side door and just behind the front seats?
Art keeps me healthy.

Attachments

• DSCN4586.JPG
    DSCN4586.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN4590.JPG
    DSCN4590.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN4587.JPG
    DSCN4587.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 10
Looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest that you choose three crafts that you would actually be LIKELY to do on the road, things that are portable. After all, if you're not going to use them, what's the point of having them? I have some stuff that I was always going to use, but never did. Am I likely to do those things on the road? Well.................. probably not. Crafts people are a sort of special kind of packrat. *grin*

travelingchic said:
I am in the middle of downsizing my stuff to head out on the road again. ....I have already got three bags of clothes ready for donation which was easy but when it comes to my precious craft materials it's so hard.<br><br>Thanks for reading / listening and I appreciate any input you have whether it's advice or insight on your own journey for downsizing.

LOL, I have the very same problem. My apartment looks like a craft store. I made the decision that all my papercrafting//mixed media "stuff" had to go. I am selling what I can and have donated the rest, and that feels really good. I decided to keep most of my jewelry-making supplies because that takes up less space, and I am an avid crocheter and therein lies the problem. I don't want to get rid of any of my yarn LOL. In fact, even as I am ridding myself of my other treasures, I bought more yarn. HELP!!!! I will sell/donate some but I've decided, for my sanity, the yarn is more important than clothes LOL, so I am downsizing more of my clothes. Happy travels to those already on the road and to those planning on being there soon...like me.

Can you put the yarn in those vacuum bags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm kinda in the same boat...I'm an artist and finally have my own art studio because I bounce around from one art medium to another. I was planning on painting when I go out West but that required too much space in the truck I'm camping in......so.....I switched from acrylic painting on canvas to watercolor on paper. It takes up MUCH less space for supplies and I can mail my finished work home so it doesn't get damaged.

As far as beading goes.....too much space needed for the variety of beads you must carry. Also...if you are planning on selling beaded necklaces at art/craft shows while on the road....it has been my experience that there are SO MANY people selling strung or woven bead necklaces that none of them make a lot of sales. As a result many show promoters are limiting or excluding this type of craft. Therefore...I find it's not worth the space in the truck to bring those supplies even though this is something I enjoy.

I would suggest donating your extra supplies to schools. Art program budgets have been so severly cut that the teachers are always starving for supplies.

I'm sort of in the same boat, downsizing my art supplies. I was a pastel artist at one time and held on to them, but the finished product won't travel well. Will probably sort my scrapping booking supplies into a bin with drawing pad, pencils and oil pastels.  I also like to build things with found objects.

I'm also a craft-a-holic.  I have done just about everything over the years.  Recently, as I'm emptying out my apartment to leave it, I decided most of it had to go.  I boxed up hundreds, probably even a thousand dollars worth of craft supplies that I had to just bite the bullet and get rid of.  I brought the boxes to the local donation center and had to keep in mind that someone will make good use of them.  It made me sick because I spent my hard earned money on all of it but it had to be done.  I have decided to only keep my sewing machine and crochet hooks for the road.  With that and my books I should be good to go because I'm guessing I'll rather be outside most of the time.

So I completely understand the struggle!  :)