Women's Forum: Question for the crafty artsy type

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm bring my sewing machine with me too. I'll manage to squeeze in fabric somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one is so difficult to answer.
I am a navy brat so we always sold or gave away toys and clothes before each move. Each time I have moved throughout my life I have left that life entirely behind and started fresh with just what I could carry. In addition to that I've been an over the road truck driver for 20 years. Plus I got a divorce after 23 years and sold absolutely everything from our farm. I also have sold two dog grooming businesses. So for me nomadic life and the love living in tiny spaces has kept me from getting attached to anything(or anyone apparently) so for those reluctant to give up their stuff I just don't think I am the best person to answer this but I can tell you that you are going to want to have something you enjoy with you on the road. But I can also say finding someone deserving and grateful to give your things to is probably the best feeling in the world. I have set up on the sidewalk in my neighborhood just giving my things away. It's so much fun.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044R using Tapatalk

Except for my extra camping/vandwelling gear, my craft supplies were the hardest to give up. My sewing machine went to my son-in-law with the stipulation that I could use it if I needed to. And I did when I recently made a new set of blackout curtains. I sold or gave away 99% of everything else.

All I have now is a 10x10x4" container with a few craft and sewing supplies, including embroidery. Except for doing some sewing repairs, I haven't really done anything crafty with those supplies yet. It seems I fulfill my creative urges mostly through writing and photography.

Suanne

I'm not going to give up my crafts.  I work in stained glass (conservation and repairs as well as new stained glass) and it's heavy, but it gives me too much joy to give it up.  So I'm not.  I also earn money with it.  And it's great to do it out of doors!  I'll try to work one or two different projects at a time and unload as fast as possible.  It's like the ONE THING I'm really good at, so it has to go on the road with me.  I think with all things that go with you, you have to have a priority list. 

I ask myself a question.  And I try to answer it with the utmost honesty.  I ask myself, would I give up coffee and my coffeemaker so this item can go with me.  If I say yes, I plan to take it.  I love coffee.  Hopefully I won't have to leave my coffee behind, but if I do, I know that what I have chosen are things I love more than coffee.

I did a trial run just recently and I found that all I wanted to do were my crafts when I got out there.  It was quiet and lovely and so inspiring.  Art is a part of life worth living.  I hope no one here that's crafty has to give it all up. 

A very wise person once told me that you must do 2 things in a balance to be a whole person.  You must be employed in tasks where you use your head and tasks in which you use your hands.

Sure would love to see some stained glass photos...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love paper, so ink for stamps, washi, fountain pen ink, and fountain pens-it's all with me. If I ever really have extra time, I have 1000s of pics to scrap, but I'll do them digitally and get books printed. I also brought my sewing machine, a dulcimer, and a Ukekle- I'm going to learn how to play them- someday...

wasanah2 said:
I'm not going to give up my crafts.  I work in stained glass (conservation and repairs as well as new stained glass) and it's heavy, but it gives me too much joy to give it up.  So I'm not.  I also earn money with it.  And it's great to do it out of doors!  I'll try to work one or two different projects at a time and unload as fast as possible.  It's like the ONE THING I'm really good at, so it has to go on the road with me.  I think with all things that go with you, you have to have a priority list. 

I ask myself a question.  And I try to answer it with the utmost honesty.  I ask myself, would I give up coffee and my coffeemaker so this item can go with me.  If I say yes, I plan to take it.  I love coffee.  Hopefully I won't have to leave my coffee behind, but if I do, I know that what I have chosen are things I love more than coffee.

I did a trial run just recently and I found that all I wanted to do were my crafts when I got out there.  It was quiet and lovely and so inspiring.  Art is a part of life worth living.  I hope no one here that's crafty has to give it all up. 

A very wise person once told me that you must do 2 things in a balance to be a whole person.  You must be employed in tasks where you use your head and tasks in which you use your hands.
I love stained glass. Hope I catch up with you sometime to see your work. When I'm not reading I write--memoir in the form of essays and articles I have begun to submit for possible publication. Barely started, so no results yet Am working on  a book about my teen years in the 50's. Don't know if I'll ever get serious about trying to publish. I'm just enjoying the process. I have tried several different crafts and I'm not good at any of them. I sure admire people who turn out beautiful art pieces, knitting, crochet, greeting cards etc.