WOMENS' FORUM: Pining to be with other vandweller snowbirds

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatBalouE350

Reaction score
The temps are moving into the three digits and forecast says will stay this way for next ten days. I am stuck here in tourist town just outside a major national park wishing I could be where the snowbirds might be right now. I am about 8 months into waiting for a SSDI court hearing to argue I am truly disabled even though my doctors have filled out DMV form to get my disabled placard and the gov form for 50 percent off camping fees and prescribed my service dog. 
I have some cash and was, am, seriously thinking of finding a travel buddy or a group already snowbirding. Where are most of you staying to keep in cooler weather?.

Iam just outside Flagstaff off A1 mtn rd. Temps are in high 80s but nice breeze and comfortable lots of shade trees

I'm caring for my mother, so I can't take off for anywhere, yet. Yes, southern Arizona is heating up. Expecting to break records the next couple days.

There is no plan until my mother decides to move on; passing away. I'm here until then. After that, in the summer I will likely head back home to North Dakota (born and raised...have lived in Arizona since 1984) and travel into Canada. I've only stepped into Estevan Canada and wish to travel/fish further north and west of Canada. Water/pines/fishing/mtns are calling my name. :)

I'd suggest Washington, Oregon, and BC. I live in the Pacific NW and once I retire I'll be full timing in my Class C, but I will spend my summers here to be with family, friends and pleasant temperatures.  There's plenty of BLM land and inexpensive primitive campgrounds.  

Safe Travels,
KathyJO

CautionToTheWind said:
There is no plan until my mother decides to move on; passing away. I'm here until then. After that, in the summer I will likely head back home to North Dakota (born and raised...have lived in Arizona since 1984) and travel into Canada. I've only stepped into Estevan Canada and wish to travel/fish further north and west of Canada. Water/pines/fishing/mtns are calling my name. :)

Stay away from British Columbia now and the foreseeable future as they are in evacuation mode for the most part due to forest fires. I'm in Alberta and we can smell and see the smoke a whole Province away.

Yes, Cascades but also the Olympics have BLM lands available.  I just camped free near the Hamma Hamma River recently (in the Olympics).  Any forest service road on state or federal lands will have free camping.  (Nothing like Arizona, of course).  In July I stayed on federal forest land near Ashford, WA (Cascades) and in early July I stayed near Alsea, Oregon (Alsea Falls Recreation area).  In April I stayed at Lyre River in the Olympics, all that was required was a Discovery Pass ($30 a year).

Not to diminish the severity of the terrible forest fires in any way but of course you have the smoke in Alberta - the prevailing winds are from the west!

There is still plenty of the province to be explored that isn't in fire zones, not that the OP is ready this year anyways...just saying!

KathyJO, maybe, but they have been closing the areas for the past year or more, with signs that SAY 'No Camping'.