Women Only: Washing your hair?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livesimply5

Reaction score
Just wondering easiest method for washing longer hair  when in a van when you don't have access to a shower for awhile. Wh

When my hair gets dirty and oily between showers I use a homemade dry shampoo of cornstarch. I sprinkle just a little on, rub in with finger tips (not nails), then brush out. I section off my hair and work each section individually, rather than the whole head at once.

I chose this method rather than trying to wash with water because it takes a lot to rinse out my thick hair. Water is usually a scarce resource where I camp.

If you do a google search on "cornstarch dry shampoo" you'll find lots of information.

I water down my shampoo. It still cleans ok, but is much easier to rinse.

I had to use my solar pump shower while sitting on the side step of the van in a parking lot one time. It worked very well.

I pulled the van up tight to the curb where there was a grassy area, parking in as secluded an area as possible. I'd already had a bird bath inside the van so it was just my hair that needed doing.

After heating water on the stove for in the solar pump, I put on a top that wouldn't matter if I got it wet and simply sat on the lower step with my head hanging over the grass.

In the interest of speed I skipped the conditioner that time and other than a bit more problem of getting the tangles out, it wasn't a major issue.

It felt soooo good!

And no one noticed a thing!! :D

I can wash my hair, quite thoroughly, with about a quart & a half of water. It's long, thick & inclined to frizzy. I MUST have conditioner. I mix about ¾ conditioner to ¼ shampoo & rub the t into the scalp area while my hair is dry, that is the dirtiest part. I then add a bit of water, mix it all up then dole out the rinse water slowly with my 12v pump shower or a cup if its just a parking lot quickie. I usually just bend over with my feet in a dishpan & let it all drip into it then my feet get a soak & wash too.

I go to the convenience store that sells coffee and get boiling water out of the tap where they make coffee into my thermos.
I drive to a private spot. After dark, that spot can be mostly anywhere.
I add a little cold water to the thermos, if the water is still too hot after the drive, cold weather, etc.
I have a larger container on the passenger seat that the thermos can sit in and not tip over with the lid opened or closed.
I start by getting my hair untangled with a small amount of conditioner on the ends.
I put a wash cloth into the thermos, wring it out, and go over my hair downward as I sit in the drivers seat.
I then shampoo my hair.
I use the same wash cloth to wet and keep going over my hair until the soap is out, wringing it out in between.
I condition my hair a little on the ends, if it got too clean and will get tangled.
Note: I never turn my head upside down anymore to wash my long hair. It gets my hair too tangled and I loose too much hair this way.

A tablespoon of baking soda mixed into a quart of very warm water (not hot enough to burn): Sit on the step of the van with a plastic dishpan between your feet and lean over the pan. Pour about half of the warm water over your head, massaging it around your scalp. Pour the rest and repeat.

Pour a quart of plain warm water over your head to rinse most of the baking soda out.

Mix a tablespoon of cider vinegar in a third quart of water, pour gradually over head while rubbing it in. Wrap with towel. Comb out. Dry.

Wow!!!!
Youall are very resourceful.
Great tips I read in here thanks a bunch 
..... But that's not the way we did it in the Corp lol
I use a two tub method well actually three or the way I was told by my Sargent
Tie it up and leave it  crusty :D
I miss her..... Lol sometimes.
Peace

Try some of the methods while you're still at home, to see which ones work best for you. Just sit on the edge of the bathtub with your feet inside. I forgot to include in my post: after massaging the baking soda solution into your hair and scalp, while you've still got some left, slowly pour it over your hair and comb it through.

By trying it at home, you can laugh at yourself and not be embarrassed.

Sue

I can't do the cornstarch because my scalp is too oily and it ends up being crud crumbles that won't comb out. 

I've definitely done the baking soda wash/vinegar rinse especially when I need a good thorough cleaning.  You can't imagine how well baking soda will clean your hair but be careful if you color your hair; you must rinse very well or it will break down the color molecules in your hair and start stripping the color from your hair cuticles.

Unfortunately I have a scalp/hair that must be washed.  After awhile if I don't wash my scalp I've actually gotten infections because the oil attracts everything to it.  Despite my very disciplined attempts at "no poo" I ended up with very painful scalps and infections that hurt so bad I couldn't brush my hair for a few days.  However I did find out that unless I've been working in a dirty environment such as cutting firewood I can go up to a week without washing, just a rinse and some light conditioning will do.

I've been using one of those sprayers you pump to build up pressure.  I have to stand doing it(or sit) so I'm going to experiment with some kind of small trough I can sit in with a shower curtain surround that stores under the bed.  That way I can use it to wash clothes and store all my laundry stuff and extra water as well.

Thanks ladies for all the advice. I've been thinking I was going to have to cut my hair before I head out. Happy to know that there is work a-rounds.

I have been using the baking soda and apple cider vinegar rinse for YEARS ... way before van dwelling. (mother nature does my hair color so I've not had to worry about that) I do not dilute my solutions nearly as much as mentioned above, but I rinse with a little plain water after the baking soda and then again after combing the ACV through my hair as a conditioner.

I have very sensitive skin and that combo has been marvelous. The HUGE thing for me is that I have VERY curly hair that gets fuzzy and knotted in most circumstances. I cannot believe how much pain the ACV would have saved me growing up if only I had known. I swear, I work in the ACV/water solution using only a cup or so of water so it is fairly strong. Then, my comb will GLIDE through my hair.. glide, I say!!!! LOL

I rinse with plain water. I can usually do a thorough wash/condition with a gallon or gallon and a half of water. Between shampoos, I sometimes use an ACV/water combo in a spry bottle and comb through my hair to tame it and rinse away desert dust, etc.

Another huge advantage is that the ACV can be used for many other household needs and we all know multi-use is sought after when living in tiny spaces.

I always had long thick, thick fuzzy hair & hated it. The best thing I've ever done was put a #3 guard on an electric razor every 4-6 weeks & keep it short, short! I spray it with water, suds up with a tiny bit of shampoo, rinse & wallah clean hair with very little water & it is so much easier on my bursitis arms!!

Hanging water bag with water heated.
Kitchen garbage can
Small amount of cleaner and fast drip.
I can stand or sit for this.
Amazing how little water it takes to be sparkling clean ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_3841.JPG
    IMG_3841.JPG
    1.3 MB
I think it was this video that I watched:
How to Live in a SUV Part 2 (27:51m)

Two things that Lisa said stood out for me.
1) She hadn't taken a conventional shower in a year.
I remember my mom encouraging me not to shower so often, and to opt for sponge baths. She had the most beautiful, youthful-looking skin!
2) Lisa commented that it's the first time in a long time that she'd put chemicals (shampoo?) in her hair.
She has thick, beautiful hair!
So, I'd been experimenting with just rinsing my hair with water only, and I notice that my hair is feeling healthier.

I like the liquid, no-rinse shampoo. You apply it to your scalp and hair, rub just like you were shampooing, and towel it dry. It looks a little pricey, but it doesn't take very much. Since it is so liquid it is best to pour it into a spray bottle and that keeps you from dumping half of it out on the shower floor and helps control where it goes on your head.

I kneel on the passenger seat of the vehicle and hang my head out the window. I use three 16.9 liter bottles of water to wash and rinse my hair. I use cheap suave shampoo and do it every morning no matter the weather.Seems to be the anchor to my morning routine.Also I save a little water and brush and floss my teeth.Started doing it while I was driving a truck and picked it right back up when I moved into the minivan.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044R using Tapatalk

This is my plan: 13 gallon Big Kahuna, shampoo and "It's a 10" leave in conditioner.

In remote areas, I use the largest-size Kelly Kettle (Base Camp in stainless steel) to boil water which I then use to heat a two-gallon silicone bucket of water (I use the Infusion Living collapsible silicone and stainless steel bucket... expensive but I've learned the hard way that cheap collapsible buckets are disasters waiting to happen). The hot water is then used for hair, body, dishes, laundry, whatever needs to be done. I have a conventional hot water heater in our van but it's too inefficient to use while boondocking (it would consume too much propane and water both).

Kelly Kettle is a great product but the only challenge is getting the soot off the inside of the chimney - it can be used many times over before having to deal with that, but eventually it has to be cleaned to remove the build-up. I'm still working on developing the most efficient method to do that.

InterBlog, there are two ways to deal with the soot problem:  a) Ignore it (most people do this), and carry it in a bag made from a denim pant leg; or b) smear liquid dishwashing soap on the clean kettle before you put it on the fire.

Keeping in mind, of course, that a nice, sooty KK makes you look like an experienced long-timer. :D

Latest posts