Women Only: Wardrobe what have you learned!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I travel in a class C.  My body core is rather hot and I wear tank's all year.  As well as a new brand to me, Lularoe.  I was this and hang it to dry, by the next morning it is dry.  I was jeans and tank girl before, now I am tanks and leggings or maxis.  The clothes are a bit pricey but this gal gives excellent service and your 11th pair is free. https://www.facebook.com/LuLaRoeAmberCorkhill

As for shoes, I do the dreaded flip flops, along with Mukluks and boots.  I have a winter coat from Columbia and have yet to wear it.  PJ's include fleece capri and a tank in case of the dreaded knock and for areas where I'm sure the knock won't come I have cotton jammies.  A felt hat is in my bunk and I'm looking for a straw hat to catch my eye.  

My hair is long natural salt and pepper and I wear it in a bun, braid, or wind-blown loose.  Daily makeup includes a tinted sunscreen moisturizer and Vaseline lip balm although I will try the Nivea brand next time.  

My suggestion is to pack for two weeks if you are in a van, then one set of winter wear/summer wear.  Thrift stores are open all year so you could purchase seasonally and give back when you need a new season.  For me that doesn't work, when I find something that works for me I want to keep it until it is worn out.  Your first year will show you what you need, want, and can release.

Happy Adventuring

hzl333 said:
:idea: here's what I came up with someone posted I think in another group on Facebook that they are hiding some of their clothes and underwear socks and bras in pillows and I thought about it and I thought I actually I could go step further and put my flannel PJs and a pillow as well as all my yoga pants which is what I live in so only my t-shirts are not going to be shoved into a pillow or pillow case... Let me know what you think

This is a good idea, but it may make the pillow too lumpy for comfort for some folks.

Haven't done this yet, but I'm thinking I'll get an old quilt from a thrift store and make pillow shapes out of it, then stuff those pillows with clothes. Should help with the lumpiness aspect. Also, if you carry extra bedding for insurance against a colder than usual night, you can stuff that into a pillow shape as well. Since my bed is also my couch, I carry several pillows anyway.

:huh:
Okay, Ladies, going to jump in here and risk embarrassing myself with what may sound like a silly issue, but it's a big one for me. I'm an elderly lady who is large and I have large breasts. They long ago gave in to gravity and are no longer where they are supposed to be! Can't wear bras, at least haven't found any that don't make me feel like I am suffocating (have COPD and asthma.) Also, find bra straps painful because the weight pulls down so hard on my shoulders. I end up with a stiff neck and pretty significant backache.  I've been wearing two layers on top (camisole or tank top under another top) to minimize the obvious, but then I'm way too warm and sweaty all the time. I haven't started desert living in a  vehicle yet but just couldn't wear two layers when it's hot. Wearing a tank top with no support underneath wouldn't feel right. I haven't found a way to be comfortable and still look decent. And anyway I can't buy bras in person. Local stores don't carry sizes large enough. To order online without trying them on is a crap shoot. Anybody else with these problems, and have you found a solution? Thanks very much for all suggestions.

That is actually a valid medical condition. I wonder, do you have insurance? If not, I'm just going to say it - go braless no matter what anyone thinks. I have friends with this problem and it is a problem. It's uncomfortable but more, it's bad for your overall health. A very dear friend finally had a serious reduction. She literally could not extend her spine due to the weight and pressure on her neck and back. I wish you well.  :heart:

Stuffing pillow cases with clothes is an awful way to sleep. A Thermarest pillow is so comfortable I even used it in the sticks and bricks. It’s made with leftover chunks of Thermarest mattresses.

LivGolden said:
That is actually a valid medical condition. I wonder, do you have insurance? If not, I'm just going to say it - go braless no matter what anyone thinks. I have friends with this problem and it is a problem. It's uncomfortable but more, it's bad for your overall health. A very dear friend finally had a serious reduction. She literally could not extend her spine due to the weight and pressure on her neck and back. I wish you well.  :heart:

Thank you! I do have Medicare plus a secodary insurance. Never thought of it being a medical problem. Going to check with my doctor next visit. Can't tell you how many times I have said "I just wish I could get them cut off!" In the meantime will have to learn to be comfortable for myself and not worry about others or give in to embassment.

Yes, darling, you can't worry about others. This is a burdensome situation. It is no joke. Check with your doctor. It's the back pain and the ultimate spinal injury. You have a right to live your life - freely.

I carry an extra blanket in a pillow case. Works well. I also carry clothes which will keep me comfortable in hot weather all the way down to freezing since temperatures can fluctuate greatly from valley to mountains and from hour to hour. It's amazing how a brief monsoon shower can drop temperatures. I layer starting with a silky type base layer. They get smelly faster than I like but I'm not a full-timer. I'm still looking for the perfect micro thin gloves which let me read with my hands outside the covers.

hzl333 said:
:idea: here's what I came up with someone posted I think in another group on Facebook that they are hiding some of their clothes and underwear socks and bras in pillows and I thought about it and I thought I actually I could go step further and put my flannel PJs and a pillow as well as all my yoga pants which is what I live in so only my t-shirts are not going to be shoved into a pillow or pillow case... Let me know what you think

Check out this link from Roxy's blog - https://nomadfornature.wordpress.co...ing-attractive-storage-thats-very-affordable/
She stores spare bedding, winter clothes, towels, etc. using small zippered throw pillows covers which then add a little color and decoration to her van.
Karen