Women Only: Wardrobe what have you learned!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORANGE

Reaction score
Not on the road YET.

But clothing is something I would like to buy now. So I can get used to it and I really need a new look. 

Will have a minivan.

So I figure you all from trial and error have learned what pieces to own, what material it should be.

Shoes is already killing me, Ive given lots away already, still lots left.  All of them bought at thrift, but collected!  How many shoes do you take and what kind. Purses are another issue.  Do you use a mens wallet in a pocket?

I think, oh, if I dont buy jeans and such but own like stretchy polyester pants and shirts then they will take up less space and can save and wash way more in one load of clothes.  Besides drying really fast. 

Or I think spend the money and get all newfangled athletic clothes with these new space age sort of fabrics.   

Thank you ladies.  Love that there is a womans only space!

Hi, O. After retiring from a career which called for 'artful', I gave up on frilly and went for comfort. I am strictly outdoorsy, these days. I get my shoes and clothes from outfitters to align with my outdoor activities. A bit more cost-wise but I have a lot less volume. Columbia is my designer, now. Durable and comfortable and utilitarian.

Keens are generally my shoe-choice. I require a wide toe box. Camp shoes are a must. I prefer Uggs (or similar) and Crocs. So for me, it is quality versus quantity. Buying off-season saves a lot of money. 

For sleepwear I go with cotton anything for summer and merino wool for winter.

I have found many good bargains on new gear at a store called Dirt Cheap. They usually have an 'athletic' isle. I've been quite lucky with that. Sometimes Goodwill has surprises, too.

I have a beautiful GAP long, hooded raincoat I bought for $35 at a DC on the east coast and my winter coat for the same which is the same Dakota I looked at in a shop at a ski resort once. It was missing a button so I saved $300. 

Hats and scarves are always a good bet as are vest. All can cover a lot of territory and give that extra touch. 

I keep my hair in a bob and always have a baseball cap on hand. Little or no makeup. The upside is te occasion I do "fix my face" the people I run with are nice to offer a compliment whereas if I wore my face all of the time, they'd just be meh...

Sunscreen and tinted lip balm by Nivea are everyday go-to's. And I literally use to have Lancôme on speed dial so this is bare...

I stopped coloring my hair. I am ever so grateful to the very young women who made silver hair so fashionable that they pay 100's to have it. So far, so good on that.

Travel-life is simple compared to the other and so Ikeep it simple on the Road. 

The funny thing is where as at home I'd never consider a day without a hot shower, I sometimes go a few, even, w/o. But when I do have one, I appreciate it so much more.

On the Road, I appreciate everything so much more.

Take care. Have fun getting your gear together.

Cheers :heart:

Layers. Having clothes that you can put over other clothes makes adjusting for outside temperatures easier. For clothes that come in contact with my skin, I prefer cotton blends over 100% cotton. After washing, the drying is much quicker. If you are going to be anywhere it is cold, a hat that has flaps that cover your ears is sometimes good to wear to bed. Before central heating it was real common for people to keep warm by wearing a hat to bed.
I also travel with two sleeping bags, (where one will fit inside of the other), for a similar reason as layering. I have loose blankets as well, but when the temps drop, I jump into a bag.

Years, I travel with #2 sleeping bags, also. And a warm hat is essential. Head warm; feet cool. Keeping your core warm is the trick. Also and since this is women-only, sleeping naked is best.

Minimalist here!

I have about 10 tops and 6 prs of pants, total. Three dresses. Plus underwear, pajamas and outdoor clothing.

I wear mostly washable merino wool and linen clothes with a few items made of recycled polyester. All easy to hand wash and they dry quickly on a line, since I hate laundromats. I buy on sale or from eBay. Outdoor brands to look for: Smartwool, Icebreaker, Ibex, Patagonia. Also Eileen Fisher or Flax for linen.

My shoes are one pair of trail runners, one pair of Keen sandals and a pair of Crocs flip flops.

One straw sun hat and one wool hat with a brim.
A long down jacket and a down vest for cold weather. An ultralight rain jacket. A couple of merino wool hoodies.

My only purse is a recycled polyester crossbody bag from Dakine. It has an adjustable strap, so I can turn it into a fanny pack.

Love my keens.  If you go to rei outlet store online, you can pick them up for half off at times.  I have sandals for summer and closed keens for winter.   

Layers works. A turtle neck  T-shirt’s flannel shirts and hoodies.   If it is cold add all layers and take a layer off as the temperature rises.  I’m known for sleeping with a hoodie if it is really cold.

Since I lived in business clothes before I retired and hit the road I thoroughly enjoy being able to wear comfortable clothing all the time.

Shoes - one pair of sneakers, one pair of hardly ever worn water sandals for the few times I get to go canoeing. I also kept one pair of dress flats that mostly stay in the 'wedding/funeral/dress me up box. Other than that, a pair of cheap sandals for wearing in the shower and a pair for slopping around the campsite.

Purse - 1 - use it year round, it only has to match my shorts and jeans... :D 

Clothing - because I have the space I carry a tote with several pairs of dress pants, a couple of summery tops and jackets/overblouses to go with them and a couple of long sleeve dress sweaters. All  the tops can go with all the pants.

Jackets - okay I'm carrying 4 - a rain jacket, a plaid one for around campfires and I just bought a lightweight fall jacket because I'm working in the Caribou mountains this summer and it's already fall here - had to have the woodstove going in the store today... :rolleyes:  and I kept my heavy winter ski jacket which is packed in a tote. I've had to pull it out twice in the 3 winters I've spent in Arizona.

The rest of my clothing is t-shirts both short and long sleeve, sweatshirts, tank tops, shorts and long pants. I kept one swimsuit as well that is hardly ever worn.

Add socks and underwear and that's it.

A girlfriend who was the same size and height as me got 4 large bags and two more armfuls of clothing when I cleared out my cupboards. What she wouldn't wear went to the thrift shop donation box.

I don't worry about how fast it dries because it all goes in the laundromat dryer and the towels take longer than any clothing.

I don't recommend going out and buying special clothing - chances are you have enough clothes already in the closet. It's not like you're going sightseeing in Paris or something... :D

I could live in Chacos.
Cotton sucks. It just sucks.
Merino wool, down, quick drying nylon with about 5% Spandex for some give. Oh yeah.

If your a member of REI you can get a 10% dividend on your outdoor clothes.

I still paddle when I can and love the convenience of nylon/quick dry and Omni freeze clothes so I wear them whether I'm getting wet or not. They are comfy to drive in, too. What I wear is mostly utilitarian with the exception of a 'nice' outfit for the occasional occasion...

Macabi Skirts! They are made for travel, large pockets with inner zippered pockets for your ID. I live in them. Google them!

The Dire Wolfess

I havent replied because I dont want to stop the flow here. I am learning so much, never heard of a chaco and now macabi skirts.

You ladies are a delight!

I'm learning too!! Y'all sound fashionable spitting out labels, etc, LOL
I have a bunch of stretchy pants. That's my plan til I know better.
Oh wait, maybe I should invest in a travel trailer or camper.
My SUV is little, but so am I. So I guess sleep quarters can wait.
Thanks Ladies!!!

Don't worry about labels. A bargain is a bargain - and I only go for the bargain. Thankfully the clothes and shoes I get are bargains!...lol...Clothes are the least of my worries. Peace

:idea: here's what I came up with someone posted I think in another group on Facebook that they are hiding some of their clothes and underwear socks and bras in pillows and I thought about it and I thought I actually I could go step further and put my flannel PJs and a pillow as well as all my yoga pants which is what I live in so only my t-shirts are not going to be shoved into a pillow or pillow case... Let me know what you think

LivGolden said:
Years, I travel with #2 sleeping bags, also. And a warm hat is essential. Head warm; feet cool. Keeping your core warm is the trick. Also and since this is women-only, sleeping naked is best.

My pup sleeps against / on me SO sleeping naked  just feels inappropriate

I’d really love to put in my Two cents! However I’m not sure it’s worth it, I have a tendency to wear pajamas and wear them all day! Once I wore bra and underwear to the lake and tried to pass it off as a bathing suit! It didn’t go over well....ah well

Oh, that's funny. I think I might be ready for a moo moo. Like the ones Maude wore. :)