Women Only: Surviving in the wild

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatCaretaker

Reaction score
Can any of you recommend any books and/or courses that won't cost an arm and a leg, about long term survival in the wild? Like, about foraging, defending yourself against wildlife etc. Courses or forums online that wouldn't sneer at a woman trying to do this would be great, which is why I'm posting this here.

I've simply had it. Done. I'll never have the money to do the vehicle dwelling life "right," with thousands in the bank, so I'm going to just get out and not come back. I'd like to be better prepared than the kid in "Into the Wild," tho. I will have to give up my cats of course which will be the worst part. 

I've had 20 years in a suburban area of a big city working for peanuts, worrying constantly about money, being treated like shit by employers and the people I rent rooms from, and within the last year, having cancer and kidney stones. No family obligations, just the cats, as mentioned. I fear not being able to care for them for long anyway tho

Sorry for the rant. But I'd still like the info. Google searches haven't turned up much of use to me.

For a city dweller, the BLM and National Forest lands may seem like you're out in the wild I'm sure!

But you're really  not! The 'wild' is where you have to walk or canoe for days to get to. As long as you're still driving to it, albeit on a dirt road, it's not the wilderness. As someone who goes out in to the wilderness on canoe trips and backpacking trips, anywhere you can drive to is not anywhere near the wilderness.

Your chances of coming face to face with predatory wildlife is somewhere between slim and nil. Yes, you'll hear coyotes howl in the distance at night if you're in far enough down the dirt road - it's a wonderful sound btw. You might also be fortunate enough to see the back end of a bear as it runs across the road. The biggest danger of wildlife is driving on the roads and encountering them 'jaywalking'...they like to use the sides of the roads for feeding and use the open highways as their own transportation corridor... :D Drive carefully in their territory and be vigilant about looking out for them, particularly at sunrise and dusk.

There is also no such thing as the 'right way' to do this. It's whatever works for you! Lots of people are living 'right' on all kinds of varying amounts of income. There are 'better ways', but no 'right way', so you can dispel that myth in your mind right now, please, for your own sake.

The best advice I can give is to read here on CRVL and to attend the womans RTR and the RTR in January. 

I have to agree with you in the cats though. If you're struggling to make it and living in a small vehicle, it's  not really fair to the cats to be bringing them along. While you'll most certainly  miss them, realize that they'll be happier in a S&B situation than being subjected to the confines of a car.

Why don't you start out just going camping for a weekend? Maybe you don't even like all that Nature? Or maybe you do. I see a lot of posts on the forum from people who are going to jump into the deep end when really what they ought to try first is a road trip. See how that feels.

I’m a big fan of the Foxfire series, loads of good helpful info. You might be able to find used copies on Abe Books. Another resource is US Army manuals on field craft, cheap and informative.

i have browsed "How to Survive in the Woods" by Brad Angier a few times

covers shelter, foraging, safety....lots of good advice
best of luck to you

CatCaretaker said:
, just the cats,
It's been my experience that mature cats that have not grown up in moving vehicles, do not adapt to moving vehicles.  It's like a human being jumping on a boat not expecting to be sea sick.
If you can time your departure with RTR, it will be easier for you to find a couple of people to get to know, maybe caravan for a bit until you get your sea legs  ;)  Learn the ropes of traveling by being with others.  Remember to give others their space, watch without stalking, and there is always Bob's book to read also.  BLM looks scarey and far away from people, but you can drive a car to town in 15 minutes more or less :)

One author I’ve read is Cody Lundin.  The two I’ve read are 98.6 degrees and when all hell breaks loose.  Explains mistakes people make and the choices you need to take.

K. I'm going to send you here:

survivalistboards

But I'm also going to tell you up front that if you don't want to be sneered at, go to the women's forum.

I'm not going to say that living totally off grid is impossible, but it's so very hard. I found a 5 acre piece of land that the owner was willing to hold the mortgage. I then went to one of the rent to own Amish buildings and so was able to have shelter. It took years to build up my rainwater system, add solar, and a wood stove. And that was with a full time job.

I'm not here to be discouraging or rain on your parade. I hated when people told me I couldn't go off grid to the extent that I did. But you need to know what you're getting in to. I seriously don't want to read about you like the guy who died on the bus. I'm just trying to add some reality. If you have any questions I'd be happy to share what I know.

Dear Madam/Sir,

Sorry about that. Just realized I had posted a link and came back to edit my post. Someone had fixed it for me. Thank you. I appreciate your promptness and apologize for the trouble.

Signed,

The Abashed Mandolyn

It is not very easy to survive by foraging. Winter time is always going to be a problem. In the winter you might want to be in the southern Arizona area and that being desert there simply is not enough food out there in the wild for you to survive on.

What does work is learning how to prepare very frugal meals. Eat simply, be sure to take some vitamins and mineral supplements as well. The lowest cost meals are ones made from basic ingredients. It takes more time to prepare some of them but there can be pleasure found in doing such things if you cultivate an attitude of deriving pleasure from such tasks.

You could do things such as building a solar powered dehydrator. That way you can take advantage of reduced price vegetables that need to be eaten right away. Then cut them up and preserve them for use at a later time. Those veggies along with a little pasta make a great pot of soup for just a few cents a serving. There are lots of videos on youtube with instructions for easy to make, inexpensive DIY solar dehydrators.

Dried beans are good but they take a long time to cook. However dried lentils and dried split peas cook much faster and are just a good of a source of protiens and other important nutrients.

Eggs are always a good bargain if you are on a budget. They have a big advantage in that they keep you feeling full and satiated for a long time compared to many other food choices.

If you come across a U-Pick farm talk to the owner about trading some labor time for produce. You will end up with a lot of food and make a new friends as well.

If you pay attention to what the native peoples of the area ate (and still eat), you will find there's plenty of year-round nutrition in the Southern AZ desert. The staple food is ground mesquite beans and pods, which makes a high protein flour that can be baked into breads, pancakes, biscuits, and anything else you might make with flour. Prickly pear cactus gives fruit and the pads (nopalitos) can be used for salads or fried. Handle with tongs and burn the spines off over a fire. Then peel off the tough skin, and you have a nice meaty filet full of vitamins and precious water.

Other, more difficult sources of nutrition abound, but require catching, like lizards, snakes, javelinas, rabbits, desert rats. You could probably survive for years on just mesquite and nopales. Learn how to make a solar still (very simple) for collecting water out of the air, and you are all set.

The Dire Wolfess

CatCaretaker:
Sorry for what you've gone thru. :( I've also had some truly terrible rental experiences, which ultimately drove me into this lifestyle.

In my mid-teens to late 20s, I was in the youth then adult arms of the Air Reserves, trained mostly for Search and Rescue, which included extensive survival training including regular field exercises.
I am not an expert in long term survival.
I merely have both training and experience with short term (3-7 days) situations.

Books are ok, but they will not not show you how folks make mistakes.

There's tons of YT vids, almost all of them done by hobbyists who are mimicking each other & have no experience at all.

There's lots of cable TV shows, all aimed at making things glitzy, often with very bad advice, and unrealistic portrayals of how complex/lengthy tasks are/take.
One example:
In one show set in Siberia, the entertainer demonstrated how to build a snow shelter, and claimed it took him one hour.
In my most extensive survival course (one semester with one day per week hands on), a group of four took two hours to build the same shelter (i.e. eight person hours). I was the only female in the group, and one of the guys was the strongest guy in the program. We all were young and had to pass rigorous fitness tests.

There's exactly one TV show that I highly recommend:
Les Stroud's "Survivorman".
He goes alone (does his own camera work) into remote areas for a one week period, and shows you his real experiments, including his mistakes.
He gives very authentic times and shows how complex & difficult some things are. He even discusses how he's feeling. He's stunningly honest and thoughtful. :)
Your Library will probably have the DVDs. I recommend skipping the episodes set in places irrelevant to you (e.g. Baffin Island, tropical regions).
If you don't have a DVD player, see if your Library has any that you can use on site. He's well worth the effort & time. :)

There's two real world, almost always free ways you can get some gentle hands on beginner level experience/training (these aren't "survival" courses - you should get comfortable in Nature, before you try it full-time).
One I have extensive experience with, the other only second hand...

Bird watching club trips:
Every decent sized city/town will have a local bird club, with regular trips, and supportive environments for beginners.

Most will loan you binoculars.
Trips usually meet at convenient urban locations where it's safe to leave your vehicle, then everyone car pools to the target locations.
In general, birders car pool to get the most eyes possible into each vehicle, which increases the likelihood of spotting cool birds.

This will give you the opportunity to spend time on backcountry roads, often very rustic.
It will teach you observation skills, and greatly increase your "situational awareness".
You'll get to test out your on-person gear, in a safe environment (stuff like clothing, boots, even how much food & water to carry).
You'll learn from the equipment that others use (really serious birders are gear geeks, and generally have superbly well equipped vehicles - they can stay out for days at a time, if they get on a roll, particularly during migration seasons).

Most birders are very down to earth, gentle & curious people, from a wide range of backgrounds, and are relaxing to be around. :)
We're (mostly) very welcoming of newcomers, and want to help you learn.
Most clubs have a very few twerps, but they're easy to spot and avoid.

The very first trip I ever went on was an Audubon all-day Spring migration trip (it started pre-dawn and some of the group continued after dark).
I didn't have binoculars, and didn't drive, so I just called up the club phone number, and they loaned me binoculars & hooked me up with a volunteer who picked me up at my home. He was a retired Marine, and we carpooled all day. It was an intense blast. :) I was exhausted long before him, and he was disappointed I didn't want to go Owling with the hardcore folks. :)

After that, I learned to check whether it was a "beginner friendly" trip.
Most are only half a day, though they usually recommend bringing lunch, just in case.
When I start with a new club (i.e. don't know anybody), I get to the car-pooling location, take a look around, and target the most kind scruffy/nerf-herder appearing member, usually female. :)

Are you still in Atlanta?
They have an Audubon club, with regular trips, and their site says they welcome newcomers & will loan them binoculars. :)

You don't have to be a bird fanatic, just curious about Nature in general.
Most birders have wide ranging interests & Nature knowledge.
If you decide to try this, feel free to say you're more oriented towards getting some experience in Nature (it's ok to be vague), and someone online recommended this.

Wild edibles / foraging clubs / courses:
I've never been on any of these.
Reliable friends have, and other reliable friends (birders) have taught these.
They sound like a safe and useful way to learn.
If you go on any, please report back to us. :)

Try web searching with terms like:
"Atlanta wild edibles club"
(That assumes you're still in Atlanta.)

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond.
Good luck with your efforts!

I recently gave up my cats in preparation for living on the road. It was not an easy decision as I was very attached to them. They are also older cats. I just want you to know it is possible to find them a good place to be where they can live happily.

I took the chance and not knowing anyone to take them in I took them to the local humane society in Seattle. They are a no kill shelter and have a complete medical clinic as well. It is in a purpose built beautiful new building designed to make the animals every need happen just right. It is not the kind of kennels one finds at the city run pounds with chaotic howling, crying and barking.

Of course there is an intake process and they had to be approved to be accepted. My one cat had a benign fatty tumor on his neck and even though he had trouble with sedation in the past and his regular vet though it was too risky to remove their skilled staff was able to remove it. They took care of a minor dental issue too during the operation. The other cat got a complete medical workup as well. So they did accept them despite wanting to do surgery for the one cat.

My two cats are a bonded pair and they are in fact respectful of that and they are not going to adopt them out to anyone unless someone takes them as a pair. But even if they end up long term residents there it is a beautiful facility with their own generous sized room plus exercise areas they get to visit and play in. Or they may go to one of their foster care homes.

I was concerned the cats would be very stressed by the change however the one who is pretty shy of people is now also very happy and relaxed.
They may or may not ever be adopted because of their age but if not they are in a great, world class facility with tons of volunteers to pamper them, they have their own big space with a large window, maid service, good food and each other. They posted a youtube video of them for potential adopters to see. It really reassured me when seeing the video that all is right in their world and they are going to get even better care for medical that I could afford to provide for them. I am very fortunate to be in Seattle where there was this great facility that would accept senior cats who do not have major, long term, medical issues.

Here is the video, it is not a long one. You can see how relaxed they are, its nap time, the sun is shining in the window. All is right in their world :)

You can see on Beans neck the healing surgical incision and where they shaved under his chin. You can also see that it is not a cage, it is a room with multiple levels and even shelves on the walls to climb up to other spots and scratching pads too. The have it all to themselves. They place where we were living also had multi levels for them to climb on all the way up into a skylight. Their new living quarters is lot larger space than my little 4 cylinder car and small travel trailer would have provided for them and a lot less chaotic. They might not have me but they are getting lots of petting and attention, good food, exercise and excellent care.