Women Only: Removal of Castile Soap from Hair

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roaming_Raven

Reaction score
Recently, I was talked into using Dr. Bonner's soap on my hair.  YIKES!  The reason I agreed to it is personal, but the build up, dryness, and matting has got to go.  My hair is medium long.

The last two days I have used daily, 1 TBSP of baking soda to 3TBSP water and rinsed in white vinegar.  The fizz I hope is doing something lol.  The build up is still there.  

Suggestions are welcome.  When I am back on the road, real shampoo will be used without question unless something begins to take shape first  :) 

Thank you for suggestions during my non-chemical time period.

Blue Dawn dishwashing liquid is used to remove oil/grease on water fowl.  If it’s safe for them, you might try a dime size amount in your hair.  Shouldn’t harm you.

Yeah, Dr. Bronner's is not a great shampoo, contrary to what some folks advocate. I've had the same experience. What I did to get rid of it was to simply use some normal shampoo and conditioner. Try that!

The Dire Wolfess

Moxadox said:
Yeah, Dr. Bronner's is not a great shampoo, contrary to what some folks advocate.  I've had the same experience.  What I did to get rid of it was to simply use some normal shampoo and conditioner.  Try that!

The Dire Wolfess

Blue dawn is a good choice and it has ingredients a MCS person can not tolerate.  (I am not MCS.  Currently reside with a MCS person.)  I'll look at it as just a bit longer only a little bit longer

Thanks for the input.

Roaming_Raven said:
Blue dawn is a good choice and it has ingredients a MCS person can not tolerate.

Raven, If I'm not mistaken, Dawn dish soap has a toxic ingredient...<a href="https://www.truthinaging.com/ingredients/triethanolamine">Triethanolamine</a> is an amine produced by reacting ethylene oxide (considered highly toxic) 

We used it in our art business to force the combination of two opposed ingredients to use in oil painting cleaning.  We treated it with kid gloves.  I would NOT put it on your head.

How about rubbing olive oil through your hair, then regular shampoo as often as you need to remove the oil?

max+sophia said:
Raven, If I'm not mistaken, Dawn dish soap has a toxic ingredient...<a href="https://www.truthinaging.com/ingredients/triethanolamine">Triethanolamine</a> is an amine produced by reacting ethylene oxide (considered highly toxic) 

We used it in our art business to force the combination of two opposed ingredients to use in oil painting cleaning.  We treated it with kid gloves.  I would NOT put it on your head.

How about rubbing olive oil through your hair, then regular shampoo as often as you need to remove the oil?
I may need to continue using baking soda and vinegar until my time for regular shampoo can resume.  Thanks for the heads up on Dawn.

Many, many years ago I knew a model with gorgeous long hair who shampooed with Tide laundry detergent. I have no idea if the ingredients are even the same today, but you could check and see if it might be a solution.

I use Dr Bronners. I added about a tbsp baking soda to the soap for the first 2 months during the adjustment phase. I rinse with diluted apple cider vinegar (any kind works). I slowly spaced out my washings, I'm at every 5-7 days now. I've been using for 4 months or so & my hair seems to have adjusted. I've got bob-length wavy hair. I don't use conditioner or oil, but I do use homemade flax gel. Once my hair is long enough, I'm going to get a boar bristle brush. They redustribute the oil from the scalp to the ends.

For me, adjustment lasted about 2 months. Weeks 2-4 were the worst, my hair felt super greasy. But now that it's adjusted, It looks fantastic & doesn't feel greasy until day 5 or so.

It takes adjustment any time you switch from a product that strips oils to one that doesn't. Products that strip oils increase oil production & then it takes a bit for your skin to get the message to knock it off.

I am at the two month mark and totally frustrated. I will add baking soda to the soap and rinse with diluted vinegar.

My hair is mid-back in length. If it were not for the matting, I could always put it in a bun and go.

Going back to regular shampoo isn't an option currently, so I am open to trying new versions :) Thank you for taking the time to respond. I do appreciate it.

I use apple cider vinegar as a rinse no matter what I wash my hair with. My hair tends to be oily so I usually use Sunlight bar soap (suggested by the daughter of an old-fashioned barber)

Roaming_Raven said:
Recently, I was talked into using Dr. Bonner's soap on my hair.  YIKES!  The reason I agreed to it is personal, but the build up, dryness, and matting has got to go.  My hair is medium long.

The last two days I have used daily, 1 TBSP of baking soda to 3TBSP water and rinsed in white vinegar.  The fizz I hope is doing something lol.  The build up is still there.  

Suggestions are welcome.  When I am back on the road, real shampoo will be used without question unless something begins to take shape first  :) 

Thank you for suggestions during my non-chemical time period.

Since I am allergic to perfume, preservatives, and who knows what else, I can only tolerate one shampoo so I will be using it. I hope getting away from toxic environments will make life bearable.

Wondering said:
Since I am allergic to perfume, preservatives, and who knows what else, I can only tolerate one shampoo so I will be using it.  I hope getting away from toxic environments will make life bearable.

What shampoo do you use?

Roaming_Raven said:
What shampoo do you use?

It is called free and clear. It is free of dyes,fragrance,masking fragrance,lanolin,protein,parabens,formaldehyde,and preservatives.  A dermatologist referred it to me.
You can order online or if Walgreens doesn’t have it in the store, they will special order it from drug counter.    The brand has conditioner and lotions too.

Wondering said:
It is called free and clear. It is free of dyes,fragrance,masking fragrance,lanolin,protein,parabens,formaldehyde,and preservatives.  A dermatologist referred it to me.
You can order online or if Walgreens doesn’t have it in the store, they will special order it from drug counter.    The brand has conditioner and lotions too.

Thank you!  I will try it.

Dr. Bronners is a lot more usable mixed 1 part soap/3-4 parts water in a spray bottle! Before I stumbled across that method I didn’t care for Dr. B!

You can even spritz your toothbrush while you’re at it and get your teeth nice and clean at the same time!

SD