WOMEN ONLY!!! No Knead Bread

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadtripsAndCampfires

Reaction score
We (hubby Wayne and myself and 2 50 lb. dogs) will not be heading out until Spring so will not be at the RTR 2019.  Not sure yet of our schedule but hope to meet up periodically next year with one or both of the caravans even if it is only for a few of the stops, just to get to know folks a little.  We are doing a second honeymoon and been planning for a long, long time.  We are building an RV out of a 7x16 dual axle cargo trailer pulled by a truck.  

I don't think we will attend 2020 RTR as it looks as though it is getting too big for our camping comfort zone.  We are bringing oil paints and easles, music, books, movies, metal detection, sketchbooks and we love to cook.  Bringing the propane oven.

I JUST LEARNED HOW TO BAKE A GREAT NO-KNEAD BREAD.  LOOK UP "Jenny Can Cook" on YouTube.  Save a fortune on bread and as only uses 3 cups flour, a little hot water small amount of yeast and salt.  Really, no kneading (I wear hand braces often so this is a big plus).  We bought a 2-piece Lodgepole cast iron pan that fits in the Camp Chef oven.  It's two pans that can be one pan and one lid.  I did it once in the house oven and have yet to try it in the propane oven but the ingredients take up very little room and 3 cups flour is way cheaper than $4 plus for a loaf of bread.  Maybe 50 cents and fuel cost?

I cannot believe it is so easy. And so much better than store bought. Once we are camping full time I want to try to figure out how to make it with fire dutch oven style.

She also has flour tortillas, which I've made with a different recipe. I like hers because mine uses butter so I'm going to try hers. She also does oven baked donuts so I want to try that as well.

I figure the more things I can make in the wilderness using simple ingredients the longer I can stay away from the store and civilization. Donuts are a great desert type item, especially the custard and fruit preserve kind.

We put 2 propane tanks on the tongue of the trailer to cover the fuel for cooking/heating. The oven is on a metal rack that can be wheeled down the ramp and I can cook outside on a hot day. It also keeps the smells out of the trailer.

I've made a lot of that bread. I'm on a hiatus from it because i was starting to look like a fluffy loaf of bread. it is good!

Try mixing in three tablespoons of vital wheat gluten into your bread, which helps it stay fresh.

I slice mine the day after baking, and put it in a ziplock in the freezer, so I can take a slice or two out when I want it and not feel compelled to eat the whole loaf before it goes stale.

If you like rye bread, substitute 1 cup of the flour for rye flour, and add 2 tablespoons caraway seeds.

The most deliciously flavored rye bread you have ever eaten.

I do something very similar to Jennys recipe but add apple sauce and use whole wheat bread. Delicious, easy and cheap.

I really like how you control the browning and crispy crunch of the crust. 10 min. at the end uncovered gives me a gentle crisp that keeps the bread slices firm while cutting. 15 min. and it gets a nice crusty brown and real crunch.

Yeah, next week I am going to attempt a fruit and veggie diet. I'll still need to make the bread for hubby lunches so that will be hard.

Thanks for posting about the bread. I will have to give it a try after I gather the ingrediants. Meanwhile I have been enjoying the Jenny can cook website. Lots to learn from her youtube and website. I was not familiar with her, I can see why she had a career as a stand up comedian, it does lighten the cooking lessons and makes them rise above other youtube cooking channels

I never bothered to bake bread until learning the kneadless recipe. It's so fun and cheap. You can make a $6 loaf of artisan bread for a buck. Once I mastered the basic recipe, it was easy to add other ingredients. Wait 'til you try jalapeno/cheddar cheesebread; it's heaven on earth.