Women Only: Breathe, breathe, breathe....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ain't it the truth?! I think the inside of mine will always be a work in progress. Another day delay here (thanks, Amazon!), but should be there on Friday! Can't wait!

I was leaving tomorrow morning but 7+ inches of blowing drifting snow on top of a layer of freezing rain and very few hours above freezing before saturday means I'm delayed. I didn't want to drive 400 plus miles per day but I did plenti of them on the motorcycle so I guess I can manage this as well. Snpw is pretty but it's sooooo cold :)

I started this 2 years ago, and the solo boon docking is definitely an experience. If I'm feeling super nervous, I let myself stay in a campground. I was apparently the only one camping in the high Rockies late last Fall, and twice was the only person in the whole campground. That felt a little lonelier than I wanted. So I got a Kitten! We camped together 4 times late last year, and are making plans for this year.

More power to us, ladies, I feel very strong after solo camping. I did, just in case, get a new Mace.....

You know what. There are more people around that are nice and will assist if you need it. Just use your common sense. If you get a bad vibe, move on. Also don't feel bad for thinking that someone or somewhere isn't a good place for you and saying no.

Also, about the noise...woo drumming or Leonard Skinnard on 11, there are other places to camp in the LTVA that are very quiet and less crowded. Go talk to J. at the La Posa North camp host station and she will tell you where all the solo females are camped. They try to keep us away from others and somewhat clustered together so we are safe.

And one more thing.  Someone tried to ask me if I was here with my "old man" yesterday.  They did it couched as an invitation to go to a music jam in La Posa North.  However, nice that was, I did not let on that I had a companion one way or another.  I guess if you have an animal with you, you could say "we'll consider it" and not be lying. Heh.

*sigh* We should not have to be afraid. I will stop now before I get up on the soap box.

I have 8 more sleeps until I have to be out of my house and on the road. I haven't even slept in my van yet! Between a broken ankle, elderly parent dramas, my brother borrowing the van for a long trip and a visit to the mechanic and auto-electrician, it's been a bit stressful. You US based gals are lucky to have the RTR and the opportunity to meet up with others. Here in Australia, there isn't such an open van dwelling community and the groups that organise get togethers seem to only go to places you need fully self contained gray/black water tanks etc. Some national parks won't let you camp unless you have approved gray/black water tanks, but I am slowly researching and learning places I can boondock and connecting with women who tent camp or have simple campers like mine.

saracatherine said:
ETA: Never mind, I found this info, here it is for anyone else who, like me, did not know these existed. These seem like a great way to test out your set-up without a huge investment

I agree.  Between the New Mexico state park pass and the LTVA I think I have my training wheels all lined up.  I can work out my set up without also worrying about finding boondocking spots right off the bat.
About 6-8 weeks to launch :)