Woah! Over the top, but OMG

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tav-2020

Reaction score
Just stumbled across these EarthRoamers -- probably old news to most here, and ridiculously overpriced.  Something not right about the rugged exterior and luxury inside...a conundrum for sure.
But still...Woah! Would not turn one down if they were giving them away!
https://earthroamer.com/

I agree, I would take one if they were giving one away, but I don’t think I could ever justify something that expensive!

Ship to middle of Africa or Siberia and away you go!

Did u see the Jeep conversion they did? I could be happy in that

Earth Roamer is my lotto fantasy. I like to watch their videos. 

The thing is though, and I find this to be true about most of my lotto fantasies, I'll end up with a much more affordable option and will be almost just as happy. But you know, the day dreaming is fun and costs nothing.

I love the Earthroamers, too but the much more affordable version of these are the Tiger Vehicles, based in South Carolina.

They're 4 wheel drive with good clearance to go off-roading, they have large fresh water capacity to keep you untethered to society, solar panels, cassette toilets, cab over sleeping just like the Earthroamers, and you can get them to configure your rig so your diesel runs all your appliances...no more propane tanks :)
They're definitely NICE but not super swishy, as you mentioned, Tav....
I always thought if I ever bought an Earthroamer, I'd probably get carjacked by some jealous dudes who totally want to lift it off me. Gah!
They are THAT nice, and definitely not very stealth, so I'd be worried that it screams MONEY.
I'll take a Tiger instead. Way more stealthy.

http://www.tigervehicles.com

Here's to all our fantasies !!

I keep two earthroamers in the garage.

One for during the week, and one for the weekends.

Said no one ever. (well, maybe Jay Leno)...

:D

Did you see the width of the Earthroamer's entry door? What is it, about a foot wide at most? OMG I couldn't even get inside one turning sideways, not to mention my DWs ample girth. I guess it's just as well as I could never afford one.

Chip

sushidog said:
Did you see the width of the Earthroamer's entry door? What is it, about a foot wide at most? OMG I couldn't even get inside one turning sideways, not to mention my DWs ample girth. I guess it's just as well as I could never afford one.

I guess when you are on expedition you are too distracted to eat...built in weight loss plan, LOL
...or after purchase you can't afford food!

am wondering if the angle of the picture (in the one I noticed) makes door look skinnier than it actually is.. no matter, never getting one

I was camped at Goosenecks State Park in Utah when a couple dozen of these were gathered. They seemed like a bunch of rich guys pretending to camp. The owners drove them like they were incredibly fragile machines, creeping along a flat dirt road as if they were rock crawling. I guess they didn't want to rattle the china. And heaven help those guys if they ever had to get the spare tire down off the back and wrestle the flat back up.

There is a good blog linked on their site of the first man around world in a helicopter. Dick smith

tav-2020 said:
Just stumbled across these EarthRoamers -- probably old news to most here, and ridiculously overpriced.  Something not right about the rugged exterior and luxury inside...a conundrum for sure.
But still...Woah! Would not turn one down if they were giving them away!
https://earthroamer.com/

Yup, old news to me, well, within the last couple years anyway. If I only had that kind of disposable income.......
But thanks for the heads up regardless.  :)

I guess I've known about them for several years, but I saw my first one in person, actually two of them, in Wyoming this past August during the eclipse event. 

Very cool, but quite large, expensive, and ponderous. No one will ever refer to them as 'nimble'....

Rich people are different.

And yes, tend to be thinner.

Man, Dick Smith! There's a blast from the past, real character that bloke.

I think they build these across town (/city-Denver) in Broomfield. I have never understood the market. Who with that kind of money would camp? You could stay in 5 star hotels for the rest of your life. And take it off-road for that money? No way. They look cool driving by the factory on the interstate though. Only in America.

OMG you could not pay me enough money to travel staying in fancy hotels, what's the point?

Sorry but I really pity people with such a limited pov!

Or were you joking?

I've lived 90% of my adult life in far less comfort fewer mod cons than those rigs, including home births, raising three crops of kids no electricity, forget TV often no running water, crap in a bucket.
So this takes a far higher level of comfort with you to the remotest most interesting spots on Earth!

John61CT said:
OMG you could not pay me enough money to travel staying in fancy hotels,  what's the point?

Sorry but I really pity people with such a limited pov!

Or were you joking?

Not really a limited point of view, but different. Not staying in fancy hotels would be a limited pov as well. Not something I want to do either, but in my view I see people with that kind of money wanting luxury. It's why they did what they did to get that money. If they didn't want luxury they would have given their money away to charity. And the Earthroamer is luxury. They seem to have started out with a good idea, some practical machines for a little less than insane price, but they are now pushing a 1.5 million dollar thing that's a 5 star hotel on wheels.

IMO the new Earthroamers are the trophy wives of the RV world. People get them to show they have money and get attention. They would suck off road, they could do wide flat desert roads, but in the mountains? You'd have to have somebody in front of you cutting down the trees to make it fit! And with that intense weight they might regret having a washer and dryer in the back when they snap an axle climbing a rough hill in 4 low.

I've seen a few in the wild in Colorado and Utah, never off pavement, and never with a speck of dirt on them. To each there own, if they enjoy it power to them. But nothing I aspire to. I'd like to think I'd give the money to charity. I'd rather live a humble life, roaming the earth in a cargo trailer with a detachable 4WD truck to get to the real out there places!

They might not be practical but they are definitely cool.

OK, I thought you were talking about the concept, including custom-built Unimog land yachts etc.

Critiquing that brand specifically, I dunno could care less.

But your generalization about very wealthy people is just that. Saying stuff like that says more about you than the group you think you're describing.

I have personally known hundreds over the years from every continent, and there is no one thing you can say about all of them other than the fact they have money.

The majority of them came from money to start with, many just passive income, a mill here or there NBD.

And even many of the very hard-working ones got it just doing what they love, not motivated by getting rich or being overly comfortable in itself.

Many are not "showing off" marking status, don't care what others think, much less other rich people, just love spending on toys and adventure, cool experiences, often putting their lives at risk just for the adrenalin rush of it.

Look at Dick Smith circumnavigating in a helicopter, just doing what he loved.

Now that said, I think society shouldn't even allow that much inequality, but that's a different topic.

John61CT said:
OK, I thought you were talking about the concept, including custom-built Unimog land yachts etc.

Critiquing that brand specifically, I dunno could care less.

But your generalization about very wealthy people is just that. Saying stuff like that says more about you than the group you think you're describing.

I have personally known hundreds over the years from every continent, and there is no one thing you can say about all of them other than the fact they have money.

The majority of them came from money to start with, many just passive income, a mill here or there NBD.

And even many of the very hard-working ones got it just doing what they love, not motivated by getting rich or being overly comfortable in itself.

Many are not "showing off" marking status, don't care what others think, much less other rich people, just love spending on toys and adventure, cool experiences, often putting their lives at risk just for the adrenalin rush of it.

Look at Dick Smith circumnavigating in a helicopter, just doing what he loved.

Now that said, I think society shouldn't even allow that much inequality, but that's a different topic.

I disagree, and have known people as well. But whatever, I don't need to argue with strangers on the internet over something not that important to me.

I pity your limited point of view, you seem to like to correct everybody to your opinions. I was just stating mine.

Latest posts