Wiring

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
When I last went to pick up my trailer, along with a busted axle, the trailer brakes were wired to the brake lights, not the controller. Tap the brakes and all four trailer brakes locked up. Unsettling and unsafe.

I took my truck to Ft Worth Generator and Auto Electric, they were recommended by several shops I called. The owner told me at most an hour and about $100.00. It's only money right?

It turns out that when I had my spin out in California the guys who wired everything up did a good job with the exception of rewiring my brake controller. My truck was already set up for a controller, plug a fuse in and plug in controller and it's done. It's not their fault, they worked hard and after hours to get my truck and trailer ready to go. 

So today my wiring was restored to stock and he also got the connector for my mobility scooter converted to a seven pin type connector. Almost three hours working on tracking down connections and repairing wiring to stock. His shop charges $85.00 an hour for labor. I was ready for the $300.00 bill. 

He wrote it up for $85.00, said he enjoyed the challenge. 95 degrees, working outside the garage and he enjoyed it?????

I convinced him to accept my buying him dinner, so I tipped (not really the right word but all I can think of) him $50.00. Fair is fair.

Maybe the last piece is in place to get my repaired trailer next Tuesday.

Peace.

Then Wednesday we go camping right Gunny? [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why the hell not? I've had an odd week, ready for some normalcy.

Bet you can hear that road urging you to GO !

I don't know if it's the road or the neighbors kids playing hop-scotch on the floor above me. I'm getting my new address next week, the post office does not forward mail from an extended stay place like this.

Somethings gotta give.

You are going to get to move soon.   Just hang on. 

Whenever I get to the end of my rope I just tie another knot in the end of it to keep from going over the edge.

:( Sadly I seem to own a lot of knoted up rope.

At least you've been able to take your trailer somewhere!  Even if just to repair shops ;)

Once again the Safari and Aliner are due for wiring next Tuesday. 

Next HUD apartment inspection the 18th or 19th this month.
  If there is any justice in the universe this will be the last one I have to deal with or worry about.

Yeah....In my dreams.

Jewellann

I think it was a challenge to the guy. He had to make order of how the wiring was re-directed and he called me back once to show me. I know as much about wiring as I do about mechanics, which is next to nothing.

Occasionally when someone goes beyond what the average consumer expects they need a fair compensation.

Good, honest service is becoming harder to find here, this is an old shop, in an old building with older guys running it. My kind of place.

Might meet you on the road someday Scott, dinner is on me but my vodka limitations are very small. And as I remember the Russians tolerance for vodka is very high.

The forum enjoys reading your well written exploits and intelligent answers.

Rob

Wow. Starting labor here is $100 an hour, diesel is more like $150, and straight up automotive electrician shit is $200 and up. That's just labor. In my eyes, based on where I'm from originally that's pretty fair. Cost of living and expenses are much less here.

Getting a diesel, especially a project like a skoolie worked on is harder than you might think. I have had shops and independant mechanics refu ... uh ... ask nicely that I take it somewhere's else. I did have one guy flat out refuse to work on it. LPT - mechanics HATE E series Fords especially and vans in general.

I got a friend of a friend to come out and take a look at my poor crippled rig and he had her started up and purring in 10 minutes. He cranked out the few minor mechanical issues that were left and then we tackled rebuilding the wiring harness. I'm ordering parts and checking on some basic legalities about running lights etc and spending money for hardware.

He will be paid for his time and even at a friend rate this a merely costing me a finger and a few toes not an entire arm and a leg.