Winslow Animal Control Shelter help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogear52

Reaction score
If anyone plans to adopt a dog, please consider one from this place. This is a KILL shelter with what seems to be an overwhelmed staff reduced to complacent clock punchers with the lead officer having had received several complaints....prior to a few from me . I've called a couple no kill shelters in Flag to see if they could pull some of the dogs and instruct how to transition to a no kill facility but no response so far. A vet tech in Winslow told me the facility had gone downhill re. the humane treatment of animals since the city took control from the Humane Soc. At least consider volunteering to walk dogs if you're camped at McHood. All they do is go from the kennel to a yard and back with little human contact and there is no to little attempt to reach out to the community for volunteers. I'm planning to adopt a dog when I get back up there in Feb/March after a failed attempt which had a tragic end.

Winslow Az I assume. From the Eagle's song,

Well I'm standin on a corner in Winslow Arizona and such a fine sight to see, it's a girl my lord in a flatbed ford slowing down to take a look at me.........

There are good shelters and bad shelters.  No-Kill shelters sound great -- as long as you don't make any attempt to think it through.

From the ASPCA:  "Approximately 7.6 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. Of those, approximately 3.9 million are dogs and 3.4 million are cats. Each year, approximately 2.7 million animals are euthanized (1.2 million dogs and 1.4 million cats)."

OTOH:   There are 70,000 puppies and kittens born in the U.S. every year (that's nearly 3,000 born every hour or 50 born every minute).  The many, many, USDA-authorized puppy mills, the many backyard breeders, Pit fighters/breeders, and the people who simply refuse to get their animals spayed/neutered are producing them as fast at they can.  Add to that the demented ones who get a new puppy or kitten every year, then take it to the shelter when it beomes an adult or gets pregnant, and then they get another, and then repeat, repeat, repeat.

What happens when No-Kill shelters end up with more animals than they can handle or afford?  They're competing with greedy Craigslist backyard breeders every single day:  their older or problem pets vs cute new puppies.

Many small shelters are not 501-c-3 (etc) non-profits, so they can only take in a maximum of $15,000 per year, and they can eat that up really fast.

I have a good friend who has had a 501-c-3 non-profit cat rescue in Olympia, WA since 2000.  She always has cats in foster care because her small shelter can't take a large number of them.  She's never had a vacation in 16 years.  She responds to calls at night from LEOs and the fire dept, when they find a dead person with cats, or when they are told that cats escaped from a house fire.  Cold, rain, snow, heat -- she's there for the cats.  And there are always more.

Please, don't refuse to adopt from kill shelters just because they're not politically correct.  The animals still need you.

I started to try setting up an adoption last week and was happy to know they have a part time employee, Francisca, Fri and Sat.....maybe other days, that is knowledgeable and does a good job there with adoption/care. She informed me they are starting to negotiate transferring dogs so that's good news. The info I had gotten from an officer was that transferring/rotating to other shelters hadn't taken place for some time and the dog population was overwhelming and his morale was low. They still need adopters and volunteers from the town and elsewhere. I hope to be up there soon to adopt etc.

Forgot to mention: Veterans adopt for free according to one of the staffers. Right now there are 2 APB female pups up for adoption....black with some white markings. Their mother looked like an AmStaff and was adopted recently.