windows vs no windows

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was someone that has tried living in both window vans and windowless vans. the pros and cons, and what worked best. take into consideration that most if not all will not be stealth camping. there are a few nice passenger and conversion vans around me that are low miles and good price.

We don't do stealth, just careful where we park.
We like windows, as we are often lounging inside and enjoy having a view of what's around us. Some of our windows are insulated and covered but our main living/galley have fill view on both sides.
All of our windows can be easily covered at anytime with insulated panels.
If we had a cargo van I would install a couple windows.

Amen Jay, you can always cover a window but cutting a window is a giant PITA. I love my windows and upon first impression windows are friendlier giving the allusion of openness.

My van has windows all the way around. I wasn't specifically looking for a van with windows but found a fan I like that happen to have them. I'm still working on the conversion and have only done a couple trips in it so far, but here are my thoughts:
- The windows are really nice for enjoying the views while in the van. If you think you'll spend a lot of time inside the van while parked in nice places, the windows will be nice
- With certain layouts the windows help the van interior to feel much more open and spacious and not like a closet
- If you'll be doing mostly stealth camping, the windows become a burden as you will probably want to cover them up. I've been making curtains recently to cover my windows and to try to block out all the interior light from being visible from the outside. It has taken quite a bit of work and also since I have a lot of windows I have a lot of curtains. I'll probably be taking them off the windows while not in use and this means I'll have to store a lot of curtains.
- If you'll be in cold areas a lot, the windows will let out a lot more heat compared to having a windowless van with insulation.
- Having more windows means more chances for water leaks. Water was getting in through one of my windows for a while and that can be pretty annoying.

So it's mostly a question of whether the views and more open feeling is worth some of the drawbacks. For me so far, I'm happy I have the windows.

jumpstart and nala said:
I was wondering if there was someone that has tried living in both window vans and windowless vans. the pros and cons, and what worked best. take into consideration that most if not all will not be stealth camping. there are a few nice passenger and conversion vans around me that are low miles and good price.

Hi Jumpstart - I happen to have a window van that I have just started converting to a parttime camper. One thing I've noticed is the almost total lack of insulation behind all the plastic on the walls, also atop the headliner. If you're going to live in the van, it might be good to do what Sportsmobile does, & take out the existing interior sidewalls & headliner and install some real insulation & a roof vent(?).

I prefer no windows, other than the windshield, front door windows and rear door windows.  And I do want rear door windows. (so that I can open them when traveling and draw ventilation through the Van)

I've installed west coast style mirror arrays on the front doors where the bottom mirror magnifies and the top
mirror gives a true reflection.

our van had windows but we ended up covering them with foam and never bothered to take them out except for the rear door ones while driving.

we went with a slider-door-window and rear-barn-doors window treatment on our cargo conversion. We do not stealth camp (there's no point in our trail-bling-laden rig) and spend most times in BLM/USFS camps so our rig is at home. That said my wife nearly always puts up the reflectix into all windows as soon as we are parked to reflect heat away and have some privacy. Even in the most inclement PNW storms we find ourselves enjoying time outside under cover of tarp.

If there is ever a van version2.0 we may go windowless and have cameras outside to view the camp when inside. Yea crazy, but we are rarely in the van except to use the bathroom or bed ( if not sleeping in our hammocks ).

: ) Thom

Love having the option of using my windows. I just cut out some foam standing mats to fit tight if I can't use them where I'm located. Usually just blocking out one side of the van is enough to stop prying eyes completely, still leaves one side with Windows for the view.