Windows vs no windows

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My van has no windows but the rear ones in the rear doors and thats how I prefer it. The rear ones will have some sort of tint or something that will let light in during the day but you cant see in. At night they will be fully blocked. What I plan to do I havent yet seen... closing 'doors' that are insulated. When they are open they will be connected to the ceiling via hooks. Anyway, it might not turn out the way I envision it, but thats the goal at this point.

For now they are blocked out with cardboard to stop police or security guard hassles while I build... which has happened twice already.

20150209_201125_zpsksquwlds.jpg

Almost There said:
Windows please...mine is the cargo version with fixed windows in the barn doors on the side and the back doors.

I've priced replacing them with the tilt out windows that the passenger vans came with but the Canadian price tag is enough to make me puke (again...sigh). I'm reserving judgement on whether I have to bite the bullet or whether I can get away without them.

But then I have no reason to ever do the stealth thing.

Have you considered getting the windows out of a junk yard?  I am looking at several bits and pieces from salvage due to the excessive cost for new.

Paisley777 said:
Have you considered getting the windows out of a junk yard?  I am looking at several bits and pieces from salvage due to the excessive cost for new.

I considered getting the whole doors out of the wrecking yard but then I figured that if they needed body work I'd be right back where I started from dollar wise by the time I paid my bodyshop to re & re the doors, do the bodywork and then paint them to match the existing van.

I'll put the word out to two of the local yards to see if I can come up with the right windows at a decent price. It might be the way to go. The other way is to do another cross border shopping run...lol.

For right now I'm going the route of roof vent with Maxx Air cover, window visors so the two front windows can stay open even in the rain and bug screening on the two front windows and full screens for the side and back doors so they can stay open in in buggy season (May through September here). The van also has two smallish side slider windows in the high top that will be great for up top cross breeze and for letting hot air out as long as it's not raining outside.

Almost There said:
The van also has two smallish side slider windows in the high top that will be great for up top cross breeze and for letting hot air out as long as it's not raining outside.

There was a guy set up at Q with a 3D printer, and he was making louvers for RV windows, $30 each.  You may be able to find someone with a 3D printer local to you.  The guy at Q made them in clear, smoke, or several colors too.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
There was a guy set up at Q with a 3D printer, and he was making louvers for RV windows, $30 each.  You may be able to find someone with a 3D printer local to you.  The guy at Q made them in clear, smoke, or several colors too.

Sounds like something I'll leave for when I get to Q next year. Thanks for the heads up on them.

I have a feeling everyone loves what they already have because they're used to it and appreciate it?

I spent awhile bummed out that my van had windows everywhere, now I love it. The most annoying part was when i rebuilt the interior, needing to frame the walls around the windows. My window trim is far from professional, but it works for me. I'm glad I have windows because I love lying in bed and looking out at the world in all directions. Watching rain a few inches from my head is one of the best parts about van life.

I don't insulate my windows, I just made ridiculously insulating curtains that I can roll up and velcro into place. They're black felt with blackout fabric (which is white) trapped in between and then some decorative lace on the inside. I can make my sleeping area totally light proof (and therefore reasonably stealth) if I want.

I think I always took my windows for granted until I tried a windowless cargo van. After having been there and done that, it gave me a whole new appreciation for window vans and their advantages.

I guess I just wouldn't make for a happy cave dweller.

My van has no windows and I will not be installing any either. My thought is, if I want to enjoy the view once parked, I can simply open the rear and side doors and utilize screens. I like the idea of being stealthy

Windows would be great from a living standpoint but would be too tough trying to accomplish stealth.

SydBarrett said:
My van has no windows and I will not be installing any either. My thought is, if I want to enjoy the view once parked, I can simply open the rear and side doors and utilize screens. I like the idea of being stealthy
Absolutely the way I learned. I have a 15 passenger with huge side windows. I realized  that I don't want to be on display while sleeping and did cover them up. I am also thankful that they also have insulation over them and I can limit much of the heat that will be coming in.

When parked somewhere the side and rear doors opened give plenty of view and fresh air. I would wall them up. I spray painted my windows black before insulating and paneling them.

They do make oversized peep holes for entrance doors that are about 1 1/2” or so that are almost one way that let in quite a bit of light and allow you to see a fairly large area outside. I’ve used those with a motion activated light on several campers where I didn’t want to take a chance of a window seal leaking.

I have windows all the way around. I have them covered by removable Reflectix. Here's the view out of one of the side windows with the Reflectix folded back. It's the Grand Canyon when I was there a couple months ago. That particular window is behind the side cargo doors in front of what I use for a desk.

canyon.jpg

Attachments

• canyon.jpg
    canyon.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 5
I thought my preference would be windows on the rear doors and on the side sliding door of my Ford Transit.  Certainly not more windows than that, or they would get in the way of building cabinets. 
However, when I bought the van there weren't a lot of options and I was lucky to get any Ford Transit in the size I wanted.  The one I bought has no rear or side windows.  
After doing the van build, I actually like it as it is.  
I'm quite used to driving a vehicle that has no rear window or passenger side view behind the cab, (pickup truck with commerical shell on it) so I'm very used to driving entirely with side mirrors, like 25 years used to this.  

I took one 6-day camping trip so far with this van I bought 1.5 months ago.  Each night I boondocked in the woods, I left the sliding door wide open, even while sleeping, and this seemed quite enough visibility outside.  If I wanted more visibility I could also open the rear doors.  

I see a couple clear advantages to having no windows.  One is that heat passes through glass more readily than through metal, so you can keep a van cooler if it has no windows.  Reflectix put up against the window may not work ideally b/c reflectix requires an air gap to work, as I understand it.  
Second advantage is privacy.  This is not merely a "stealth" concern but also privacy when in campgrounds or boondocking in a site where others might potentially be able to look in, even just while they drive by.  For instance, sometimes while en route to my destination, I end up having to camp on the side of a road somewhere, in a place where there may be others driving by.  It's nicer for me if I can have a light on inside the van and know that no one can see me as they drive by, peering in at me through a window.  This is not a big concern but it just feels a tad more comfortable to have the privacy.  

If at some point I decide to have window/s, I believe I'd add a window to the sliding side door, but not the rear doors, as this would aid with driving too, and due to the design of my build, this would be the best option in terms of both maintaining privacy yet also allowing me to have the nicest possible view with the van totally closed.