Windows for a Trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbrenton

Reaction score
I am converting a 6 x 12 enclosed trailer, w barn doors, into a camper.
The internal, vertical, steel studs are on standard 16" centers.
I do not want to cut into any stud.
Therefore any window I choose to install will be around 15" max.
Are there any really great solutions?
Can anyone please send pictures or description to me?
Thanks

use only RV or Marine windows. I would see if you can pick some up at a junk yard. beware if you get used ones, they are made for a specific wall thickness. your walls thickness must match what ever you get. new ones will give you an option for wall thickness. highdesertranger

On my cargo trailer I used 16x32 vertical windows, they have worked extremely well for 6 years now. I got them on Ebay. For some reason they are the king of camper windows, probably because of the self-built tiny or teardrop trailer crowd.

Go to Ebay first.
Bob

What Bob said. There was a better source out of CA that I used, and you may also find it listed on TNTT.com, but unfortunately Grant retired and closed up shop. He was really great to deal with and was the only place I found to buy my awning style windows. Hopefully someone has filled the void by now.

Two good sources for RV windows in many sizes are:

Johnson Supply
Bontragers Surplus

They are both located in White Pigeon, Michigan. Google their websites for a complete description. I purchased all my windows for my Peterbilt Motorhome from these two places. Prices range from $20 to $40 depending on size.

I don't know about shipping as I live only 100 miles away and like to visit them several times a year.

Have you thought about building your own windows? I purchased RV windows for my rig and built some windows for a friend and brother-in-law. I'm seriously thinking about uninstalling the factory units and installing my DIY windows. Cheaper and no condensation.

a note about windows and doors. if you notice 95% of all newer RV windows and doors have radius corners. this is because the square corner ones cause stress fracturing at the 90's. no 90's = no stress fracturing. this all came from the aviation industry. highdesertranger

If your going new Motion Windows are first rate.

If your sourcing used, RV salvage yards are full of them. You may have to pull them yourself. Typical RV windows are directional. There are water weep holes in the track bottoms that need to be clear to drain. Having them at the top does no good.

SalsaDog said:
Have you thought about building your own windows? I purchased RV windows for my rig and built some windows for a friend and brother-in-law. I'm seriously thinking about uninstalling the factory units and installing my DIY windows. Cheaper and no condensation.
I would like to build my own. I am hoping to get some ideas here.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk