Window insulation overload!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparrow

Reaction score
I've been researching what is the best window insulation for my Caravan and finding lots of methods and unsure which is best?? I've purchased Reflectix and unsure if I should add material backing or foam backing? I've seen vids that warn about mold / dust particles so now unsure which way is best. 

My primary goals are: keep heat out and privacy for stealth camping. I also plan to do some camping in the colder weather so if they could serve that purpose too it would be great. 

Also if anyone knows a nice hack for getting them to stay in place? Most people say the velcro doesn't work for long....

I'd appreciate anyone's experience with what works best for them. Thanks in advance!!

I'm an industrial Velcro kind of girl. If it continues to stick here, in the Arizona Sonoran desert, inside a van with the outside temps in the 110's , it's a winner.  I get it on Amazon. They have various sizes, thickness and colors (mostly black and white). Don't use regular. 

I also love neodymium magnets. Be careful with those, though. I've gotten blood blisters trying to pull them apart. I get those from Amazon too.
Ted

I just recently made some for my Chevy. here's what I did, I took 1/8 inch plywood and cut it the same as my window. actually I cut it about 1/8 inch short all the way around. then I glued reflectix to the plywood I left the reflectix about 2 inches bigger then the plywood all the way around. then I just push them in place with the reflectix facing out. they kinda wedge in there. it made a huge difference on the inside temp. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
 then I just push them in place with the reflectix facing out.  they kinda wedge in there.  it made a huge difference on the inside temp.  highdesertranger
I'm glad you posted this  :)   On the Safari I currently have foam board just leaning in the 3 rear side windows.  With the pleated shades pulled down the panels stay in place.  A roll of reflectix was one of my 1st purchases when I got the Aliner.  I know I have some thin plywood and wafer board in one of the storage units.  I even found my B&D jigsaw recently.  I even know where my elec. staple gun is, today.  :D  If I have any fingers left I'll post how it went!  

Any ideas on how to keep it in the rear windows?  They still have all that plastic crap trim on the back doors.  I'm thinking of taking it off and putting some kind of insulation panels there.  I'm gonna have to weld D rings or bolt them on to have anywhere to tie out Q or secure awning posts on the outside of the Safari. 

Damn a bunch of plastic and fiberglass crap on a vehicle anyways :mad: 

Jewellann & Q

The windows is where all the heat comes in. I use 1" rtech on all my rear windows. When I install the foam I use doublesided tape but it didnt stick all that well, on the inside I just use gorilla duct tape, with that it aint going anywhere. Eventually I did put some thin wood paneling over the foam, this keeps any light from going outside. 
I could have all my lights on inside my van at midnight and no one outside would see anything.

To me covering the windows was one of those permanent things, I don't need to look outside, I like it dark inside my van, light equals heat.

The thick foam works best. You can use an IR thermometer to see where all your hotspots are and put more foam in those areas.

One thing that sticks to everything and drys quickly is hotglue, that might be a good option for putting the foam on the window. I use hotglue to put the foam on my roof and is very secure. 

rtech foam they sell at home depot
4x8 rtech.jpg

Attachments

• 4x8 rtech.jpg
    4x8 rtech.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 6
the problem with making it permanent is during the winter you actually want the free solar heat during the day. highdesertranger

Hi,
We started by using Reflectex with the idea that we would replace it later with something else.  But, the Reflectex has worked fine and we just kept it.  

We have little Velcro tabs on the back windows, but on the side windows the fit is tight enough that we just push them i place and they stay fine.

Pictures here: http://www.buildagreenrv.com/our-conversion/promaster-camper-van-conversion-curtains-for-windows/

Did a thermal test on the Reflectex shades, and in the winter they reduce heat loss out the windows by about a factor of 3 -- see test at link above.  They should be quite effective in the summer to reduce heat gain as it has the reflective surface.

Another nice thing is that they store flat and take up little space.

Gary

Quick question... would polysterene or polyiso be more effective as a thermal barrier than reflectix assuming they both had an air gap? My purpose is for heat retention in the winter and trying to minimize condensation on my rear van windows.

jonyjoe303 said:
The windows is where all the heat comes in. I use 1" rtech on all my rear windows. When I install the foam I use doublesided tape but it didnt stick all that well, on the inside I just use gorilla duct tape, with that it aint going anywhere. Eventually I did put some thin wood paneling over the foam, this keeps any light from going outside. 
I could have all my lights on inside my van at midnight and no one outside would see anything.

To me covering the windows was one of those permanent things, I don't need to look outside, I like it dark inside my van, light equals heat.

The thick foam works best. You can use an IR thermometer to see where all your hotspots are and put more foam in those areas.

One thing that sticks to everything and drys quickly is hotglue, that might be a good option for putting the foam on the window. I use hotglue to put the foam on my roof and is very secure. 

rtech foam they sell at home depot
I like your idea of using the rtech. I don't want mine to be permanant so I'm unsure if that will be too thick to stay in the windows but I'm going to check it out. I could use the hot glue to adhere the reflectix.. I definitely need privacy for stealth camping so it will be by day reflectix side / by night black side. My dilemma is still weather to glue material to the foam side or to paint it black....

Thanks for posting - it's giving me lots of ideas!!

WalkaboutTed said:
I'm an industrial Velcro kind of girl. If it continues to stick here, in the Arizona Sonoran desert, inside a van with the outside temps in the 110's , it's a winner.  I get it on Amazon. They have various sizes, thickness and colors (mostly black and white). Don't use regular. 
Thx for posting...I didn't know there was industrial velcro learn something new everyday!! I will definitely check that out. If you have a paticular brand feel free to post but I'm guessing I can find it. TY : )

highdesertranger said:
I just recently made some for my Chevy.  here's what I did,  I took 1/8 inch plywood and cut it the same as my window.  actually I cut it about 1/8 inch short all the way around.  then I glued reflectix to the plywood I left the reflectix about 2 inches bigger then the plywood all the way around.  then I just push them in place with the reflectix facing out.  they kinda wedge in there.  it made a huge difference on the inside temp.  highdesertranger

Do you have the reflectix facing out at night? This is my dilemma - want to do stealth camping so it will be reflectix facing out during the day / black side facing out at night. Unsure about plywood the way the Caravan windows are shaped I think it would fall out & be more cumbersome for me. 

Whatever I use for backing, I'm still unsure if I should paint it black or use black material...Still figuring!!

GaryGary said:
Hi,
We started by using Reflectex with the idea that we would replace it later with something else.  But, the Reflectex has worked fine and we just kept it.  We have little Velcro tabs on the back windows, but on the side windows the fit is tight enough that we just push them i place and they stay fine.
Pictures here: http://www.buildagreenrv.com/our-conversion/promaster-camper-van-conversion-curtains-for-windows/

Did a thermal test on the Reflectex shades, and in the winter they reduce heat loss out the windows by about a factor of 3 -- see test at link above.  They should be quite effective in the summer to reduce heat gain as it has the reflective surface. Another nice thing is that they store flat and take up little space. Gary
Hi Gary thanks for your post. I just checked out your website and bookmarked it as I think it's going to be a great resource for me so thanks for sharing it! 

Yes I'm definitely going with the reflectix. My dliemma is that I want to do stealth camping, so during the day reflectix side / at night a black side. I'm leaning toward glueing the reflectix to r-tech foam which I could either paint OR cover with black material??? I've seen YT vids where both methods are used. If you have any thoughts on that it would be great. 

This forum is so helpful I'm amazed!! TY Gary : )

Sparrow said:
Thx for posting...I didn't know there was industrial velcro learn something new everyday!! I will definitely check that out. If you have a paticular brand feel free to post but I'm guessing I can find it. TY : )

Velcro is the brand name.  If you want a generic, you can look for "hook and loop tape" (or, instead of the word "tape," search for "fasteners" or "strips").

Not cheap but what I did for stealth is use black Gorilla tape around the outside edge to stick industrial velcro to then covered one side of the reflex with the black Gorilla tape which made it plenty ridged. Used the black side at night for stealth.

You can buy the industrial Velcro on Amazon. Just search for "industrial Velcro".
Ted

Re: industrial velco -- Seen on youtube people securing solar panels on top with that stuff. I have wondered the lasting effect...

Couldn't afford insulation on the new van. But, I had a few cans of spray adhesive and some mylar. Just laminated the back of the paneling.
WOW. Major difference. Temporarily put up a piece without it to see the difference and it's major. Cheap and easy but it works.