• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Window covers wanted

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzltbeer

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone here made semi-custom window covers, I have a 1989 Ford E-150 Van and zero crafting skills.

I thought I'd say that I'd really like to hire someone on the road who can make these they don't have to be exact, if they have magnets they can definitely be bigger than the windows.

The problem is that to get even close, they would need a paper pattern.
Next problem is that VERY FEW people would ever order window covers for that vehicle.
The 3rd problem is money.   It's roughly $50 in materials and $100 in labor....minimum (commercial basis)
Are you willing to go $150 for a set of window covers?

having a template is hardly a problem and can be done blind. 
rough measurements are all that's needed.

and money means different things to everyone. I spent far more than 150 bux for my window coverings  it also wasn't a problem 
it's so strange that people tell others how to determine value, which is a very personal concept.

several times a week I spend 10 bux a pop for a coffee ( and gratuity) it's not a problem for me and it certainly shouldn't be a problem for anyone else... it is my v wallet after all.

There may be some people here willing to sew up some covers for you. You would have an easier time looking for someone local who is bored and capable.

I would ask around at the local craft/ fabric store. maybe put up a flyer near the entrance.

spend your earnings as YOU see fit and get your window coverings.

I bought 4 poster boards from the dollar store, for my 4 windows.
I cut them to size with scissors to fit the windows  - a little at a time till they fit snug.

I glued (with 3M spray glue) black fabric on one side and pieces of a mylar blanket on the other side.
You can use reflectix instead of Mylar, but mylar is cheaper and I had it anyway.

I put a tab on each to pull them off the windows, because they do fit snug.
Here is what they look like.
They take very little space and they are pretty weightless.
IMG_20201011_175550215_HDR2.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_20201011_175550215_HDR2.JPG
    IMG_20201011_175550215_HDR2.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 29
I looked at poster board and my windows are bigger than anything I saw. What I did find was some matting stuff back by framing in Hobby Lobby. It was big enough and I think it was $11/sheet. I think it's strong enough to hold in the window without velcro or suction cups. I might get a sheet and give it a try. I love my Grand Caravan but the windows are HUGE in back. I love that too.

Use the cheap stuff at the dollar store, just tape a couple pieces together to make it large enough. All you need after that is scissors and some time. 

If your happy with the fit then you have templates for a more expensive material. 

I choose to use refletix and magnets. for the side windows on my E-150. I actually cut them a tad large so I had areas for the magnets to hold. Once happy I glued the magnets to the reflectix I stash them behind the passenger seat along with a standard large window shade for the windshield. I use them for keeping the sun out and sometimes for privacy/security, keep nosey eyes out.

@ Sofisintown

Nice work.  Just wanted to add that I'm seeing those big silver reflectix windshield sun blocking screens now at Dollar Tree.   Those may be a cheap source of reflectix for one side of a window cover.

Making paper patterns isn't all that difficult.  Dollar Tree may have rolls of kraft paper that can be used to make your patterns.
Dollar Tree also has razor knives that would be helpful not to mention masking tape.  It isn't that hard to do.

@ Sofisintown

Nice work.  Just wanted to add that I'm seeing those big silver reflectix windshield sun blocking screens now at Dollar Tree.   Those may be a cheap source of reflectix for one side of a window cover.

Making paper patterns isn't all that difficult.  Dollar Tree may have rolls of kraft paper that can be used to make your patterns.
Dollar Tree also has razor knives that would be helpful not to mention masking tape.  It isn't that hard to do.

Cardboard boxes make great template material. Also works as a core material to layer over until you make something nicer.