will i be happy with a suburban?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm considering a suburban to live in. I have a jeep cherokee but need more room. Im concerned a van wont do it for me in terms of being used to the jeep. I have no pets.  I usually do a month in the car then i give in and rent room for a month.  Im in suburbs otherwise I would just get a high top van but stealth is important.  does the suburban give much better room in the back? I havnt been in one since a kid..we rolled sideways three times in it with no collapse to the car so I was impressed with it. The trailer was completeley flat after that accident

If you don't mind windows go for it they have a diesel version as well as a nice big hood.

You may be, but I don't know you.
I know that I would NOT be.......

Personally I'd opt for a Van, so much more useful space!

About the only differences between a suburban and a pickup with a cap are:

1:  In the suburban, you might be able to get from the drivers seat to the back without exiting the vehicle.  It would depend on how big you are.  I'm a big guy (6'6", 300 lbs) and I don't think it would be a comfortable thing to do on a regular basis.

2:  The pickup can have a cap taller than the roof of the truck, giving you more headroom in back than a suburban would.

I know where there is a suburban for sale. lots of killer extras. but it's set up for boodocking not city dwelling. highdesertranger

I'd probably be thrilled with a suburban, but then i have a Travel trailer i could drag with it
Still, I do like the idea of trucklike ability (off road and such) with the ability to go from back to drivers seat without exiting the vehicle if necessary
Whether you will be, I can't say

my first 4x4 was a 66 burb. thing was a tank it would go anywhere. highdesertranger

That is indeed a cool suburban, not a very practical one, but cool as all get out

Only you can truly figure out if you could be happy with a suburban. My health would keep me from it, but if I were to live in one I'd want one like in this video: They did such an awesome job of converting it and making it serve them well.

Chevy parts are fairly cheap. I rebuilt my Small Block for $1,600. Also, the Suburban could be used to pull a trailer. Seems that it would give you lots of options. Gas mileage may be rough on pocket book.

I don't know if you want to tear the seats out or not. I kept them in my SUV. Thirty minutes of taking stuff out and my camper is back into a normal seven seat passenger vehicle. However, with the seats in, climbing over the center console into the back involves quite a bit of flexibility, and there is not enough room to sit up in the back. A Suburban may have a little more headroom than an Explorer but if you are tall you won't be able to sit up anywhere but the front seats.

Right now I'm living in a small town in North Carolina in my SUV and attending school. I'm pretty happy with my setup, but there are literally dozens of secluded places where I can camp around town and not get busted, and many that I can park overnight openly and not get run off. I've had many people offer me housing for a very reasonable price but I will continue to sleep in my truck for the next few weeks.

Based on my experience, very few people expect to find someone sleeping inside an SUV, so your stealthiness is a big plus. The biggest problem I had when curb camping in urban or suburban areas was finding an available bathroom. I would never think of having a honey bucket inside my Explorer.

Howdy and I like the idea of a "burb" as a boondocking truck. I took 6 mos finding the 1988 "beast" Also have
Astro AWD for camping. Good luck with your adventure. I camped and boondocked in a 1998 Jimmy for 18 mos.
same size as your jeep, had a ball. Expect same from Beast and the high desert country. But it has a better 4x4 setup.

Best Campor 99

Attachments

• 1988 sub 5.jpg
    1988 sub 5.jpg
    203.2 KB
  • 1988 sub.jpg
    1988 sub.jpg
    53.7 KB
That "66" probably had 48" head room. More modern have 39" from floor to roof. I put deck in mine with drawers under for tools and kitchen on pull out. Take bavk seat out and quit a volumsize down there. It great boon docking but van probably better in the city.

Latest posts