Will a mattress fit crossways?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catalekid

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Ram 3500 passenger van with a 127" wheelbase.

Can a full or short queen mattress that is 75" long be scrunched up to fit crossways in the rear of this van?

The internet says it is 73.5" wide at the beltline but my measurements saya it is 71.5".

I would prefer it fit sideways so there is more room in front of it. But I really don't want to start the bed platform or buy a mattress without knowing the answer to this question.

Thank you if you can help.

Measure twice cut once is the old adage. There are many people here who have their beds the way you describe. But most of them made their mattresses shorter to fit so they sleep sort of diagonally on that mattress. Of course your height is a more important measurement than the length of the mattress. Are you trying to cut a normal bed mattress? They are difficult to resize yourself. The bed is one of the most important parts of your build so good luck with it. I think if you search the band build threads on here and videos on CRVL you’ll find some examples.

nature lover said:
There are many people here who have their beds the way you describe.  But most of them made their mattresses shorter to fit...

There are others who just forced a mattress in there. This is easier with foam mattresses since they usually don't have a thick wire frame.

Thank you for the responses guys.

I have been using memory foam and HATE it. Looking to user a traditional mattress with the coil springs.

Guess I will just have to put it lengthwise because you are right ...... that thick wire frame around it would not be very easy to force into place.

Many of us......HDR included...have a custom mattress from Military supply.....I have pictures in another thread

https://www.militarysupplyhouse.com/sleepus3.htm

You call JIM up......you tell him the LxW size.......how thick the memory foam is now.....how big are you....hard or soft.....He'll design your mattress on the phone with your input....He'll take your plastic

He makes a FIRM foam mattress.....he can/add plush foam for comfort........He stitches the whole thing in a cover with strong wide corners just like a "real" mattress......He also makes a double-sided soft/softer if you can flip the mattress.....how soft is soft ?

they squeeze all the air out and roll the mattress into a 16" diameter jellyroll and ship FedEx where ever you are.......our FULL was about $400 w/shipping

In the past....Memory foam lasted me 6 months before I was bottoming out....I'm a big guy....the new mattress shows no serious wear after 1 1/2 years

I'll add something else I've never mentioned before...this bed is surrounded on 3 sides in the van.....I need to access my batteries under the bed
This thing is a beast.....Once "inflated" in place I can not FOLD or FLIP the mattress......I can lift it but struggle to accommodate the sloping walls and build-out details......I have to prop it up and get to business

It's a serious mattress

I'm building "down the hall" with my 75 inch combination mattress. I purchased a 30 inch by 75 inch firm foam mattress online for around $100. I also purchased a 75" by 36" 4 inch thick blue, cool, memory foam and cut it to fit the 30 inch foam mattress for another $100. From the driver seat metal foundation to the first wall, where I have a full bathroom beginning, I have room for the 75 inch bed, the walls on both sides, and 27 inches wide in the clear for the bathroom / shower / sink. After that there is a 13 inch deep mechanical room and tailgate kitchen.  Mine is a 12 passenger Ford E-350 Super Duty. It's about as long as your van I think. The 75 inch bed just fits. I built it 9 inches off the floor and the entire section underneath the bed is storage. I can sit on the bed with a backrest and it turns into a couch. I have a 32 inch wide living room, six feet long to where the passenger seat was removed. That is reserved for the 12 volt DC fridge and some extra storage.

I have a 24 inch by 48 inch plastic adjustable height camping table that sits against the wall opposite the bed. It can fold up and be placed out of the way when needed.  I can cook on it in bad weather or set up my table styled music station. I just sit there on the couch and play. I've cut down a real rounded edged-top RV styled door with a screen on it. So I can open the cargo doors and my false wall inside with that door can be opened and I have a nice screen door to look out of. Keeps the bugs out too. Got the idea for the false interior door from some lady's really great van build.

I looked mine up. It has a 138 inch wheelbase.

catalekid said:
I have been using memory foam and HATE it.

I've been using standard foam and it's the most comfortable bed I've ever had.

Cataleptic, You see the great variety that have responded to you, everybody finds a way to do it differently. I had a 30 x 76 memory foam on top of the storage box running front to back in my old rig. It sufficed for many years. As my health problems increased I started sleeping on the recliner at home. So when I went full-time I put a recliner in the back of the van and no bed at all. I think it’s very comfortable. If you can afford to get a custom mattress made there are many different places that will make them for you. Years ago I ran a Historic site that had a restaurant and many guest rooms all of our furniture was antique and therefore had to have custom-made mattresses made for them. If you have the $ it can be done, you will find a way. If you don’t have the cash you’re going to have to improvise. I know of no meds that are sleeping on a hammock that hangs in their back of their van and then they remove it during the day. Be creative, that’s the way to live in a van. You are right the bed is very important. I spend more time in my sleeping chair than I do in the driver seat.

Latest posts