Widowed, which vehicle to keep or sell both?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which to vehicle to keep?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ORANGE

Reaction score
Hi, 
Long time since I posted.  I never got on the road.  I am physically undependable to myself, more like an 80 year old energy wise.

I come to the collective wisdom here to advise me what to do about these vehicles!

I have a
2002 Mercury Villager 6 cyl minivan, 123k miles  Gutted of back seats.
2005 Saturn Ion 4 cyl 194k miles

I need to sell one.  Or if you think neither should be kept.  Im loathe to have to buy something else unless you guys think that I should spend the money and get another vehicle.

My husband died last month, so it is real hard for me to make decisions!

Thank you

I'd beware of making ANY more-or-less permanent decisions right now. The standard advice to widows/widowers is to wait a year. And IME, even a year is barely enough time to recover from such a loss.

That said, if you're determined to make a decision right now, are you thinking of full-timing? Or just going camping? Have you done extended camping in the past? How long ago?

Thank you.  Wait a year maybe?  For sure my brain is mush. 

I dont forsee living in van/camping. 

Insurance on each car is 25.  Which yes, I could just do nothing at all.

But then a couple weeks ago, the van needed a new battery (160)
Now the Saturn needs a new battery, which will be done tomorrow.

I could just do nothing and let the van sit, and use the Saturn for errands.

See, mush brain.  Which is why I came for advice!

I'd keep the van because it's bigger and it's probably easier to get in and out of.

I would wait a bit.

So sorry for your recent loss of your hubby. Sending prayers for your family and hugs!

If your mind is mush just cut yourself a break. Take the time to regroup yourself into your new life as it has changed.

I would just chill. Handle only things that need handling and leave other big decisions for later.

You deserve time to grieve and see what your new life is going to become. You don't have to rush anything. Take time for your brain to work around it all, one day your brain won't be mush :) and you will be ok and make good decisions that fit your new life alone.

Wishing you the best!!

I went back and read your earlier posts.....you've had VanLife in mind for some time.......What's happened since ?

You had a restraining order back then ?........You should feel relieved your suffering is over.......Tomorrow is a New Day

Check with Social Security if you can use your husband's benefits.....

Good Luck

Thank you.

Yes was married for 33 years. It was very difficult. I am 58 and in 2 years I will have widows social security. I will be living off our lifes savings until then.
Rent 450
electric 40
Spectrum wifi/phone 30
2cars insurance 50
So I cant see vanlife being much cheaper then what I have now. Plus I think it pie in the sky to think I can do it. I simply dont have the energy.

I will keep both cars for now. Let time pass.

Although the thought to abandon my junk cars, and thrift store possessions and flying to somewhere new to live is appealing. Lower humidity would be lovely. 58 years in humid climates, to be in wide open spaces and sunshine really calls. But again, best I do nothing but let time pass.

I personally would sell both and get something newer and more reliable if I was to go on the road. But you are right, Vanlife wont be cheaper with your current costs. 

I will say this, living on the road isn't that physically taxing and to be honest i find i have way more energy out on the road.

Take your time deciding, just keep in mind time passes nonmatter what you do. Also good to point out right now, new and used vehicles are going for above market value right now, so now is a great time to sell.

since you have both the van and car? which one has been the most reliable. which one do you drive the most. if you have no plans on using the van even for short day trips just to clear your head and visiting nature. you choice should be a lot more clear. selling one of them will save on repairs and upkeep. check current resale price's on each one. the money from the sale will help you live knowing you at least have a small nest egg.

if you are able you can get a part time job at a place like home depot or better lowes.. (lowes pays better starting at like $14.67.. they need cashiers or if you know anything about paint etc.. or a local grocery store.. it's not a ton of money but it will keep you busy for a bit and help with the expensizes.. figure which of the vehicles is more dependable and sell the other one..

used cars are getting a premium now with a tight market. have a friend around when you show it and do not let anyone take it for a test drive without you in the car. tell the buyer you want to take a picture of their driver's license and text to a friend. That will let you know right quick who is a good bet.. CASH only in hand .. sign over title at local DMV or police etc area.. and get CASH. no checks, money orders etc CASH ONLY in person only.. trust me on this.

good luck and sorry for your loss..

Dude in Arco always looking for a travel partner to get out more, has a full timer campground. Even if you can't stand him he might buy one of those rigs.

Well, if you boondock you can save the rent, campground monthly rates are going to be about the same or somewhat higher, daily or weekly much higher.. Its going to cost you time and materials to get the van built into a living space. Both vehicles are getting up in age and miles, so you are going to need something newer, if not now within 5-10 years, or start paying for a lot of repairs. If the van is not driveable but you want to keep it, check with insurance for a lower rate for not driveable, or just drop the insurance if you have liability only.

Just had a friend's landlord tow damaged but driveable vehicles she didn't have current plates on, so keep the plates if you don't own the land.

Do you have any grandkids with great grandkids that could use a live in baby sitter in exchange for your own bedroom, AND you get along with well? Or kids who are busy and would like cooking and cleaning in exchange, AND you get along with well? And be ready to move out if the relationship sours.

I personally would sell both and get something newer and more reliable if I was to go on the road. But you are right, Vanlife wont be cheaper with your current costs.

I will say this, living on the road isn't that physically taxing and to be honest i find i have way more energy out on the road.

Take your time deciding, just keep in mind time passes nonmatter what you do. Also good to point out right now, new and used vehicles are going for above market value right now, so now is a great time to sell.
If I knew that Id have more energy for sure Id go out on the road. I will let time pass. Thank you.

since you have both the van and car? which one has been the most reliable. which one do you drive the most. if you have no plans on using the van even for short day trips just to clear your head and visiting nature. you choice should be a lot more clear. selling one of them will save on repairs and upkeep. check current resale price's on each one. the money from the sale will help you live knowing you at least have a small nest egg.
I do think I will take day trips and the minivan means I can lay out flat. So for now I will keep both. The Saturn is the most reliable Id say.

if you are able you can get a part time job at a place like home depot or better lowes.. (lowes pays better starting at like $14.67.. they need cashiers or if you know anything about paint etc.. or a local grocery store.. it's not a ton of money but it will keep you busy for a bit and help with the expensizes.. figure which of the vehicles is more dependable and sell the other one..

used cars are getting a premium now with a tight market. have a friend around when you show it and do not let anyone take it for a test drive without you in the car. tell the buyer you want to take a picture of their driver's license and text to a friend. That will let you know right quick who is a good bet.. CASH only in hand .. sign over title at local DMV or police etc area.. and get CASH. no checks, money orders etc CASH ONLY in person only.. trust me on this.

good luck and sorry for your loss..
Thank you for the advice on how to sell a car, I wouldnt know to do it this way! Smart. I cant work even parttime due to CFS. Things would be simpler if I could.

Dude in Arco always looking for a travel partner to get out more, has a full timer campground. Even if you can't stand him he might buy one of those rigs.
Well I dont know about Arco but thanks for the idea

Well, if you boondock you can save the rent, campground monthly rates are going to be about the same or somewhat higher, daily or weekly much higher.. Its going to cost you time and materials to get the van built into a living space. Both vehicles are getting up in age and miles, so you are going to need something newer, if not now within 5-10 years, or start paying for a lot of repairs. If the van is not driveable but you want to keep it, check with insurance for a lower rate for not driveable, or just drop the insurance if you have liability only.

Just had a friend's landlord tow damaged but driveable vehicles she didn't have current plates on, so keep the plates if you don't own the land.

Do you have any grandkids with great grandkids that could use a live in baby sitter in exchange for your own bedroom, AND you get along with well? Or kids who are busy and would like cooking and cleaning in exchange, AND you get along with well? And be ready to move out if the relationship sour

Do you have any grandkids with great grandkids that could use a live in baby sitter in exchange for your own bedroom, AND you get along with well? Or kids who are busy and would like cooking and cleaning in exchange, AND you get along with well? And be ready to move out if the relationship sours.
You have given useful advice. I CAN afford to stay just as I am. I have 2 vehicle discount so 25 a car so 50 a month. I will explore local day trips in the van and spend a full day cooking/eating and being out in nature, come home to bed. That ought to do me a lot of good.

So I watched this youtube. Living under 1000 over the winter in New Mexico. I am surprised by this because he says these are campgrounds with electric. I never heard of being able to live in a vehicle with electric for that amount of money. This intrigues me, because campground means never alone, and electric means comfortable temps in vehicle it seems like an easier way for starting out.

Hi,
Long time since I posted. I never got on the road. I am physically undependable to myself, more like an 80 year old energy wise.

I come to the collective wisdom here to advise me what to do about these vehicles!

I have a
2002 Mercury Villager 6 cyl minivan, 123k miles Gutted of back seats.
2005 Saturn Ion 4 cyl 194k miles

I need to sell one. Or if you think neither should be kept. Im loathe to have to buy something else unless you guys think that I should spend the money and get another vehicle.

My husband died last month, so it is real hard for me to make decisions!

Thank you
I would consider buying whichever you want to sell.