Why do people buy two 6 volt batteries?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Awesome Inch

Reaction score
I recently purchased 2 6 volts which are 110 ah each. I thought I was going to have 220 ah total. The young guy in the battery store re-affirmed that falsehood. Turns out if I want 12v I only get 110 ah. Ive seen numerous people on YouTube with 2 6 volt, or what I thought was 6 volts. 

I am probably going to try and return my batteries and get a single 12v instead... assuming it will be cheaper.

Never seen a 110 ah 6 v battery.

6v Gc2 battrries are ~220 ah

What you have, is a battery bank that will last longer.  

One 12 V will be cheaper than 2 6v.  But you are paying for the lead weight.  A 6V that weighs 60 lbs has  2V cells that weighs 20 lbs each.  A 12v that weighs 60 lbs has 2V cells that weigh 10 lbs each.  

The bigger cells are usually more stable, and will last longer. 

Research Sternwake's writings for real world numbers and information.

Shazam!! I totally missed that SW!

SternWake said:
Never seen a 110 ah 6 v battery.  

6v Gc2 battrries are ~220 ah

So you are saying that each of my batteries is 220 ah?

Huh... well I was directed to this page...

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-bank-tutorial.html

Since my batteries are 6 volt I have to run them in series to get 12v but that my means I can only have 110 ah.

If I could run them parallel then id have 220ah bUT to do this my batteries would each have to be 12v.

One Awesome Inch said:
So you are saying that each of my batteries is 220 ah?
No way of knowing what the ah is right now.

A link to the batteries you bought would allow one of us to check the ah rating!

your standard 6v golf cart(gc) batteries are 220ah's. so if you run in a series you would have 220ah @ 12v. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
your standard 6v golf cart(gc) batteries are 220ah's.  so if you run in a series you would have 220ah @ 12v.  highdesertrangery

Thanks!

I sent the company an inquiry. 

Does that mean I could run 4 batteries at 6 volts each  in series to get 880 ah 12v? ?? Probably not but I  ccan dream!

One Awesome Inch said:
Thanks!

I sent the company an inquiry. 

Does that mean I could run 4 batteries at 6 volts each  in series to get 880 ah 12v? ?? Probably not but I  ccan dream!

No but you can set them up in series, parallel to get 440 AH at 12V 

That is similar to what I have,

Attachments

• van build 2m.jpg
    van build 2m.jpg
    470.7 KB
I've never seen a 6 volt that was only 110aH either. So until we get the Mfg specs I'll assume they are 220aH each. (I've owned several pairs of different mfg and they were all 220aH)

Series connection doubles the volts but the aH stay the same.
Parallel connection doubles the aH but the volts stay the same.

If you get 4 GC 6 volt batteries , you would connect 2 pairs in series and the pairs in parallel .

Each pair would be 12 volts and 220aH and when you connect the pairs in parallel you will get 12volts and 440aH.

4,,, 6volt batteries all in series would be 24 volts and still 220aH..

AND
It all works best if all batteries are the same brand , model and AGE !

I have never seen a 110ah golf cart battery either. but it might not be a golf cart battery. I have seen smaller 6v batteries but never paid attention to the ah rating. highdesertranger

If they are 220 Ah each at 6v, then they are 220 Ah in series as 12v with 110 Ah available before requiring a charge. The only 12v batteries in that capacity range are like my 8-D's at 160 pounds each.

When I was stationed in alaska we used all 12v 250amp or somewhere around that amp. And there were 3 per unimog , and 2 per all the other trucks. they were wired up for the max amps at 12v volts.

Never seen a problem with them even when they had sat outside for 5 days at 20 below.

I was on an islolated duty station and everything automotive there had 12v batteries and at at least 2 and some more. So am also wondering if other than the lifespan isssue , any other issues ? As I said 12v was all we used.

I am planning on building my own conversion van and planning on using 12v 200+ amp batteriers in it.

those where starting batteries in the vehicles. a starting battery is a lot different then a house battery. are you sure the were wired for 12v most military vehicles use 24v. highdesertranger

longevity
there are these things called cycles,how many times a battery can be discharged and charged or something like that, a 12v car/marine battery has a few a 6v golf cart battery has a lot more

Please post information from the battery label. Give us the various numbers and letters found on the battery. Then you will get very good advice.

Why buy 6V batteries? Golf carts and wheelchairs use 6V deep cycle batteries, so they were easy to get back in the early days of solar power. Meanwhile, 12V deep cycle batteries were less available. So there's a lot of literature about setting up solar with 6V batteries, and people followed those instructions.

By the time you buy two 6V batteries in order to get 12V, you haven't saved much over buying a 12V battery with the same Ah rating (assuming you're comparing wet to wet or AGM to AGM). And you're probably taking up more space and have more cables and connections to deal with.

Why 6 Volt batteries?  Batteries are heavy.  Two 6 Volt batteries each weigh about half of what an equivalent 12 Volt battery would weigh.  I have changed golf cart batteries many times.  Picking them up and installing them while reaching is hard.  I am sure I could not install them two at a time.  8D size batteries are great as long as I don't have to pick them up and gently lower them into position.

Trojan T105  225 Ah 6V 62 pounds    A pair is 225 Ah 12V 124 pounds
Trojan makes batteries over 1000 Ah that are 4 Volt and 2 Volt.  It is the same idea.  The amount of lead a person can handle in one box is limited.  More boxes make for less lead per box.

Van engines are heavy.  Eight V1 engines could each be picked up more easily than one V8 engine.  Batteries are easy to split up, engines are not easily split.